Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438329 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1995 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:31 PM »
A self storage place in Swansea will accept the bike.  It will be there when I arrive.  It will be shipped out the first week in February so I have been a busy beaver.

A lady from MotoFreight in England is coordinating all of this.  She is working out the details with Schumacher Transport in California for transport across the ocean.  She needs copies of the bike title and my passport. Sending her a copy of the title was no problem.  I was going to get the passport after I shipped the bike.  Now, I need it fast.  Last Friday I went to the post office and applied for one.  I also paid extra for it to be done quick.  This was not bribing the guy.  It is legit.  There is an official fee for getting the paperwork done fast.

A metal tie down is made for the battery as required by the rules.  An experienced racer on this forum advised me against using my half moon style land speed front fender.  He said it might pack with sand and cause me big problems.  I took it off.  The Triumph shop, Cascade MotoClassics, gave me a used front fender off of a black Bonneville.  I trimmed it and made a sand flap for the back.  Also, I made some fender stays to mount it to the forks.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1996 on: January 13, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »
The race organizers are very nice and they are letting me run with the AMA/FIM number I have been using for years.  Some brackets are made and a pair of old number plates bolted on.  They were last used years ago and the paint is yellowing.  A set of nice new plates would look better.  These ones bring back memories.

My thinking is having my but high and back level is better aerodynamically.  The OEM Triumph seat will be kept on so I can do this.

The fuel is drained and the engine is oiled down.  A few small jobs remain to be done.  It goes into the crate this weekend.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1997 on: January 14, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
Way to go Bo!!. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1998 on: January 15, 2015, 01:11:00 AM »
Hi Mike.  Sorta nervous, I am.  This is the first time I have done anything like this. 

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1999 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:38 AM »
The Best of Luck, Bo....You will remember this trip for the rest of your life...and so will your Daughter!!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2000 on: January 17, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »
Hi Paul.  Folks are telling me places to visit.  Sammy Miller's museum is one.  It is near there.

The bike needs to be out on the driveway where it can be loaded onto the truck.  Moving it out there is problematic.  Where is King Kong when I need him?  This dolly was fabbed up so I can push the crated bike where it needs to be.

The crate bottom is put onto the dolly.  The eyes on the Triumph crate bottom are unscrewed.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2001 on: January 17, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
A 16' x 20' piece of 16 mil construction plastic is laid over the crate bottom.  The eyes are screwed down into place through the plastic.  The plastic is furled around the crate bottom and held in place with string.  The bike is rolled onto the crate bottom.  It is tied down to the screw eyes.

The plastic will be wrapped up and over the bike and it will be tied up with packing tape.  This seals the bike in a protective coccoon. 

One of out experienced racers warned me about the damp salty air inside the shipping container and its corrosive effects.  This is how Triumph wraps the bikes they send to us from England.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2002 on: January 18, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
Rats can be an issue on ships, at ports, and in warehouses.  This is not advertised so advance preparation should assume they will be waiting.  The leathers, boots, my old skanky rabbit's foot, and a back protector are crammed into a metal container.  Writing on this box might not be optimal for quick passage through customs...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2003 on: January 18, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
A liberal application of stickies solves the problem.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2004 on: January 19, 2015, 11:43:56 AM »
Rats can be an issue on ships, at ports, and in warehouses.  This is not advertised so advance preparation should assume they will be waiting.  The leathers, boots, my old skanky rabbit's foot, and a back protector are crammed into a metal container.  Writing on this box might not be optimal for quick passage through customs...

WW, your last sentence sure could be true.

Long ago the National Radio Astronomy Observatory set up a long-baseline interferometer experiment between two radio telescopes, the 140 foot in Green Bank, WV and the Pulkova Observatory in the Crimea. Since this was back in the Sixties, Crimea was part of the USSR. When shipping tons of equipment to Crimea, someone made the mistake of entering an "Atomic Clock" on the customs paperwork. The experiment required precise timekeeping between the two telescopes so each one used a Cesium- beam time standard. The unfortunate wording caused problems with every country the shipment travelled through. Arrrgggghhhh.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2005 on: January 21, 2015, 12:56:41 AM »
Neil, "Atomic Clock" is better wording than "Nuclear Clock."

My wallet is 400 pounds lighter thanks to a few keystrokes on paypal.  Where I am going iswww.facebook.com/pages/Pendine-Landspeed-Racing-Club/166621133481919

The bike is done after months of work.  It is legal for SCTA, mostly, as best as I can get it.  Hopefully no one notices where it isn't.  It is in the crate while I figure out the remainder of the junk I need to take with me.

Each side is held on by six hinges.  Removing any four hinge pins allows that side to be opened like a door.  I never considered this when I made the crate.  It is handy. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2006 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »
WW;

I'm wishing you all the best. Have a successful and safe trip. Take pictures!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2007 on: January 22, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
The bike left about 45 minutes ago.  I will be here until early May.  There are labor troubles at our ports and it will take awhile to get the bike there.  Originally I was told to have it ready three months in advance.  This week the shippers called and asked for me to get it ready quicker.  A bunch of late night work ensued and it is done.

The door to door shipping from my house to Swansea is not cheap.  The only way I can make it work financially is to take advantage of sea travel.  An experienced racer told me to seal the bike and trailer contents up real good to prevent corrosion.  I did this.  They will open the wrapping at customs to check the VIN serial numbers.  I asked my shipping agent to make sure they reseal it up nice and tight.

The inside of this trailer was dark when I took the picture using a slow shutter speed.  Rose is wondering what I am doing.  The guy moving around who is tying up the bike is invisible.  He looks like electrical current.  The dolly was needed to get the bike on the trailer and it is needed to get it off.  The shipper is bringing it back in a couple of weeks.  The dolly sure is handy.  I am glad big heavy duty wheels are used.

The rule infraction I was hoping no one would catch is using tubes in radial tires.  Triumph does this as OEM fitment.  These bikes come with radial tires having tubes on the back.  The race bike has a radial tire on the back with a new Bridgestone tube made for radial tire applications.  The front tube is a new double thick IRC tube in a radial tire.  This setup has worked for me for years.  I asked the Pendine organizers about it and they have no problem with me doing this.  Now it is time to catch up on my sleep and to plan the trip.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #2008 on: January 23, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
Bo, I have booked a holiday caravan for the week from Monday 18th to Monday 25th May. It is right next to the beach. It's a 3 bedroom 8 berth (living area sofa bed) so you are welcome to join us. One less thing for you to worry about.  Look forward to seeing you there. Gretchen too?  Peter

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2009 on: January 24, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
Hi Peter.  A caravan in this country is a small Dodge van or a string of pack camels crossing the dez.  What is it in Wales?

Yesterday at around 4:00 I was having a hard time focusing on the computer at work.  Rose and me went to the jazz club for dinner.  I barely made it home.  Fatigue set in.  A good night's sleep was all it took to make me better again.  It sure is nice to have that bike outta here.