Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438034 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1965 on: December 11, 2014, 02:07:15 AM »
The fellow that does the dyno work checked the electrics.  All was OK when he looked at it.  It might be an intermittent problem.  Plan is to put an ammeter on it and to ride it around the neighborhood and to see what happens.

The engine with the torque of the 995cc block with high compression pistons would be easy to ride fast on this sand track.  This little 865cc low compression job puts out around 80 HP at 7,900 rpm.  There is not much power or torque anywhere but high midrange and top end.  Riding it will be winding the poor thing out to redline in each gear and popping it into the higher one with a snap shift.  The gearing will be set for 7,900 rpm at 125 mph with 5% wheel slip.  Also, some streamlining is needed to compensate for the lack of power so the fairing will be used. 

No performance increase was seen with the oxygenated fuel.  Two versions of this produced by reputable suppliers have been tried with no success.  It is a waste of time and money.  Now the alcohol goes into me and straight gas into the bike.

Overall, this is a success.  I have a fresh motor that puts out enough power to get me down the track at a respectable speed.  It will not be an easy race.  Some talent needs to be exhibited by the rider to make all of this work.           

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1966 on: December 14, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
The bike will go to blighty and back by sea.  These are trips around the Horn of Africa or through the Panama Canal.  Ship travel time is 35 days.  There is the trip from Salem, Oregon to the port at Gardena, Calif, too, and customs, and a little bit extra in case something happens that requires a delay.  The shipping lady says to have the bike ready to go, in the crate, and picked up from here three months before we need it.  This is mid February.  The engine I hashed together to meet this schedule was described earlier, it is 865cc barrels from Werner's wrecked scrambler, new Triumph pistons from a T-100 relieved to provide valve clearance, and everything else is from the 995cc big bore motor.

The leaded 112 octane Sunoco Supreme is tried first.  It was purchased when I was planning on running 12.5 to 1 compression in the big bore.  This hash job has 8.9 to 1 comp so the gas has far more than enough octane.  Jetting is too rich to start with and it is leaned out until size increases bump up the power only a fraction of an HP.  Best power is made with 132's.  The 135's make only a fraction of an HP less and they are a safer choice.  The curves shown are for the 135's and they are what will be in the bike.

The advance curves are Triumph Twin Performance Stage III, IV, and V.  The Stage III is their standard curve modified to work without the throttle position sensor, and Stage IV and V are custom curves they made for me that are 2 and 4 degrees advance from the Stage III.  No significant peak torque increases are noted when switching to the more advanced curves.  The Stage III is used.  It is the safest choice and it is easier on the engine.  This curve is the most common one used by tuners on these motors.  It is the best curve during our testing using Sunoco Standard, Supreme, and MO2X as well as the special ERC oxygenated gas.

These curves tell me a lot.  The peak HP is right up near the red line.  This tells me the engine is breathing plenty well for its displacement, compression, and my chosen rpm limit.  More cam and bigger valves will hurt rather than help.  A compression increase will help boost power throughout the curve.  Maybe 5 HP with a boost up to 12.5 to 1.  Other than that, the 85 HP this would make is the maximum the motor will go on gasoline with a 8,400 rpm rev limit and carbs.  Port and intake tract architecture changes beyond simple porting, and fuel injection are needed to make more.  Also, removing the balance shafts and alternator stator.

This motor is using the standard Triumph cast pistons.  There ware a lot of dyno runs up past 8,000 rpm.  I am sorta taking some risk with these blowing apart at high rpm.  Two or three runs at Pendine will be it.  Maybe one run if I feel the first one is the best I can do. 

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #1967 on: December 14, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
Bo,
Here in the UK you can get VP racing gas easily, from a number of race shops, Sunoco I'm not sure about  :?

If you need fuel here, drop me a PM or email and I'll see what we can get here for you. If you have an idea of itinerary then favours can be called in if needed  :cheers:

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1968 on: December 14, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
Neil, there is a Sunoco dealer on the south coast.  The fellow from Sunoco who helps me says there is a VP gas that is almost exactly equivalent to Supreme.  He sent me the info.  I will look for it and post it when I find it. - Bo

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1969 on: December 15, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
Neil, VP C-12 is real close to Sunoco Supreme.  I am not sure about the gasoline situation yet.  Sunoco tech support helps me a lot and the VP guys would not reply to any of my queries.  There is some brand loyalty on my part to the blue and yellow folks.

The bike shipper has a secure warehouse near Heathrow Airport.  My plan was to pick up the bike in a plain transit van and to keep it in the van or a bike shop while I was in London.  There would be some driving in the capitol city while I figure out how to motor on the left.  I would drive back and forth to Pendine.  I told Rose about my brilliant plan.  She knows what an excellent driver I am and how I have absolutely no problem with doing two things at once like navigating and driving.  She also is in awe of my cat like reflexes and speedy learning ability.  Her input was I would kill myself almost instantly in London.  She has been there so how can I argue?

It was time to consider that two of my loved ones will be with me, namely my race bike and youngest daughter.  Also, I need to think about the welfare of the poor slobs that I plow into.  Rose recommends shipping the bike to somewhere close to Pendine like Cardiff or better yet, Swansea.  That way, my chances of actually getting to the race and back are much greater.  This is what the shipping lady and I are looking into now. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1970 on: December 15, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
WW, Driving on the wrong side is easy.... until you make your first turn  :roll:
Good luck, get a vehicle with a GPS or buy a European map for yours...  worth the cost.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online salt27

« Reply #1971 on: December 15, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
Bo,
  Good on you for taking your daughter.   :cheers:

That's what raising kids is all about.  :wink:

Using them to guide you around.   :-D

I do the same thing, Don

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #1972 on: December 16, 2014, 05:37:37 AM »
Mate- I strongly #1 Taking your daughter & # 2 Getting a GPS/ Sat. nav to help. #3 Following the advice of your Lady. I speak from unpleasent experience, gained by not following the instructions of my navigator (my wife) and mis-hearing other instructions from her (we are still together!)  I finished up on the outskirts of London on New Years Eve, trying to negotiate .enormous roundabouts, with a squillion lanes and lots of
stop lights, when I really wanted to be in Folkstone {near Dover) a couple of motorways away. And our roadmap did not give us the detail we needed to escape. Good luck with the journey- you will have a lot of us there with you in spirit!
                                                                                                                   Best Regards, Denis
Denis

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1973 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
The roundabouts on large roads can be a problem. Look at the GPS before you enter them and know the exit you want to take. I had an issue when I entered the roundabouts the GPS would say recalculating route,  quite annoying.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1974 on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
Bo, England will be a great learning experience so you should be very well prepared by the time you get to South Africa. :-D :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1975 on: December 16, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »
Bo, come up to Portland with a couple friends at 0:dark:30 on, say, Sunday.  Your friends can watch for traffic and police while you make some practice runs clockwise around the roundabout at 39th & Glisan.   :lol:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1976 on: December 18, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
The Pendine LRC uses SCTA rules.  The only ones I could find on the net are 2014 DLRA  The bike is legal except I need to make a metal battery tie down.  The first runs will be as 1000cc APS-G on Sunoco Supreme.  The second set will be 1000cc APS-F.  This will be using the W. Walrus special blend.  That is plan A.  This bike might handle like a pig on the sand with all of that sheet metal.  If so, Plan B is to strip all the streamlining off and run 1000cc M-F.

Lately I am getting soundly thrashed by guys and gals bringing the latest factory fresh bikes to the track and running them with almost no modification.  This is getting tiresome.  Hopefully I will be up against nutty home builders like me in APS-F.

Some treadier tires than the battleaxes are needed for sand.  These tires are being released now.  I could get the front so I put it on.  The rears are not available for a week or two.  They are rated to 150 mph with a load much heavier than me and the race bike.  It looks Like the bike will be ready by the end of the month.

Now I need to find out the course length and the record speeds.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1977 on: December 19, 2014, 05:55:30 PM »
Some may think your competing with a TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER  :-D :cheers: :cheers:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1978 on: December 20, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
Some high pipes and a skid plate are next.  This race will be in Wales so one made from an old coal shovel will be best.

Just got off the phone after a long discussion about this with one of our most veteran racers.  Beaches get windy, especially in the afternoon.  Winds at sea level have more force than at the salt flats.  These are bad conditions for racing an APS bike with full sheet metal.  It will be raced as MPS with only the half moon front fender, fairing, and wheel discs.  Taking the tail off will give it more stability in the wind.  Care will be used to make sure I am in the pub and out of harm's way during the windy afternoons.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1979 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »
The bike will go by sea from America to Wales and back.  The time on the ship is estimated to be 35 days.  There is customs to deal with, and local shipping from here to the docks in LA, from the docks in London to Wales, form Wales to the London docks, and from the LA docks to Oregon.  The shipping company recommends that three months be available to them for each way.  What it distills down to for the receiver in Wales is, the arrival time is hard to predict, the bike will come in a big crate and it will need to be moved off and on the shipping truck, and it needs to be kept in a safe and secure location.

A few folks in Britain offered me the use of their workshops of businesses.  That is nice of them.  They are not near Pendine and it is unlikely they have a forklift to move the crate and storage room for it.  E-mails were written to bike shops in the Pendine area.  Most did not reply and the one that did said they have no room for the crate.

The next step is to contact moving and storage companies in the Swansea/Carmarthan area.  A forklift and storage room should be a natural part of their business.  It took awhile to figure out that "removals" is the British term for what Americans call "moving and storage."  Now that I know this, it is easier to look things up on the i-net.  This evening I e-mailed a Swansea removals company.

This travel stuff sure takes some thinking and fumbling around.