Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438008 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1935 on: November 25, 2014, 01:27:12 AM »
Two of the new Indians.  The one with the radiator is the Scout.  The air cooled beauty is the Chief.  A lot of time, money, and care has been used on the Chief to pay respect to the original design.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1936 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »
The other side of the Chief engine.  There was a lot of tooled leather on the bike.  I wish I had a photo showing the whole thing.  It is not a bike for the salt.  Its place is for the long ride to get there. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1937 on: November 25, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
Both nice looking bikes.
Thanks Bo. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1938 on: November 25, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
We went up to the show in a party bus.  There were more than 50 of us crammed in it with all of the beer we could drink and snacks.  There was a bathroom in the back.  The bus was equipped to show movies so we saw some about dogs and sidecars, the Isle of Man TT, and the movies "The Best Bar in America", and "Why We Ride."  It was a long trip.  The flix kept our attention so we stayed civilized, sort of.

The era of the extremely large bore to stroke ratio is ending, and not too soon.  Rationalization for normalcy in this area included sayings like "Bore size to stroke ratio reduced to increase combustion efficiency."  Fly by wire throttle control is being more common.  This really helps smooth out throttle response compared to the cable actuated butterfly.

Yamaha has done very well in putting this technology to work.  The FZ 09 triple and FZ 07 twins are especially nice.  One of these cutaways is the twin and the other the triple.  My vague recollection is the triple had more downdraft in the inlet tract than the twin.  The twin is the favorite of this crusty old engineer.  Simple yet technologically advanced.  Just enough but not too much.  The whole bike can be seen at www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/708/0/home.aspx     

Offline Freud

« Reply #1939 on: November 26, 2014, 12:07:08 AM »
This is the foto from the reply 1936

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1940 on: November 26, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
Thanks, Freud.  That photo brings out the color and the chrome.  The manufacturer could have gone the easy way and rebranded something of their own and they simply would be milking the Indian name.  This Chief is doing it the hard way.  It is its own bike and a tribute to Indian's past.  The design and tooling costs must be horrendous.  Somebody somewhere has a lot of passion for Indians.

There were a couple of bikes with a landracing theme.  This is Yamaha's Bolt.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1941 on: November 26, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »
This is Triumph's tribute to the Texas Ceegar that Johnny Allen rode.  The 214 on the side cover is his speed through the traps.

Are you in a situation where the gearing numerical ratio cannot be lowered?  Perhaps a smaller rear sprocket cannot be fit and the front one is as big as it can get?  What you need is one of these here 30-inch diameter wheels.  Problem solved.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1942 on: November 27, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »
A Ducati scrambler.  There are a couple of versions of this.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1943 on: November 27, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
The Triumph Gary Nixon special.  Back end view.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1944 on: November 27, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
The special in two more views.  My riding buddies are in one.  This was the favorite of the show for us.  This is the last of the bike show pix.  Tell me if there is something you want to know about at the show.  There are a lot of pix that are not posted. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1945 on: November 28, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
The trip to SA was going to be in Sept.  The Pendine meet is in May.  This accelerates preparation.  The high compression pistons I ordered will not be here in time for me to break them in and to fuss over the tuning.  A set of Triumph pistons were ordered.  These are what Triumph calls "High Comp Anodized" in their parts book.  The clean piston is one of them and the carboned one is a standard one.  Triumph simply lowered the gudgeon pin hole to raise the compression.  The casting, gudgeon pin, and rings are the same as the standard piston.  They put more valve cutaway in the hi-comp slug, as shown.  These pistons have not been used with these cams and bigger intake valves.  A clearance check is in order.  The pistons are fitted onto the rods without rings or pin clips as shown in the second pix.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1946 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
The cylinder barrels are from Werner's wrecked scrambler.  They are in good shape and I will use them along with Werner's piston rings.  This will eliminate the break in period.  I do not have time for that.  The cylinders are fitted with clay on the valve pockets.  The outer valve springs are removed.  Only the inner ones remain.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1947 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
The valves and combustion chambers are greased,  The engine is assembled.  The objective of leaving out the rings and outer valve springs is to reduce internal friction.  It is very important that I feel when a valve contacts the piston before enough turning pressure is applied to bend the valve.  The crank is slowly and carefully turned over a few times.  Something is making contact but it is not enough to lock the engine and prevent the crank from turning.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1948 on: November 28, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
The head is removed and the valves dimpled the clay.  The pistons are removed so I can take them into the kitchen and look them over.  The literature that came with the cams say there should be 0.050 inches clearance between the intake valves and the crowns, minimum.  This distance is 0.080 for the exhaust valves.

There is plenty of clearance between the valve head faces and the crowns.  Oh Fook!  An intake valve edge hit the side of a valve pocket  Did this bend the valve?  These valves are custom made.  This could be trouble.  I do not have extras.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1949 on: November 28, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
The grease is wiped from the combustion chambers and they are cleaned using carb cleaner.  The head is set on its side and the ports are filled with carb cleaner.  No leaks.  The valves are OK.  This is a lucky day.  The valve pockets will be widened 0.050 and 0.080 on the intakes and exhausts, respectively.