Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437898 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1920 on: November 10, 2014, 11:58:11 PM »
Cheaper versions from Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc. go under the name inspection camera.

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1921 on: November 11, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »
i remember the bore scope from my mechanic days.  The video part is new to me.  That movie is going up a modern Triumph exhaust pipe.  The hole that goes sideways is for the cross-over tube to the pipe on the other side.  It is at the tuned length for the third harmonic with the cams I am using.  The flow expansion of a pressure wave into that hole sends a vacuum wave back to the exhaust valve at the perfect time for scavenging.  Dyno testing shows the standard headers make the most power when compared to the aftermarket stuff.

Note all of the metal around the exhaust valves.  A good port job and multi angle valve seats really help these motors.  Unlike hotter cams, the power from port work does not shorten engine life.  The valves are plenty big for standard displacement motors.

The mufflers are Triumph "off-road" accessory items.  They are fairly quiet and produce good power.  There are no baffles in them to produce undesirable reflective waves.  This is important when cams with substantial overlap are used.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1922 on: November 11, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
Awesome to see exactly what it looks like in there with the motor assembled.
You could learn a lot from that video. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1923 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
It will be real nice if the camera fits down a spark plug hole.  It is on the list of things to get when I get some spare money.  I see real advantages for a guy with an 8-cylinder car.  It is possible to pinpoint the problem and to reduce the amount of taking things apart.

The build is in the crateaceous period.  The forklift is rough on the holes for the tines.  They are beat back into shape and these wood liners are made.  Hopefully this will reduce damage.

Storage space is in short supply in this little shed.  The crate comes apart so I can stack it against a wall.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1924 on: November 11, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »
Hinges are used to hold the rabbet joints together.  Some pins are made from galvanized spike nails.  Simply pull the pins and everything comes apart.  All new strap hinges of this style in this country are made in China.  There is a store in Portland called Hippo Hardware.  They have used stuff.  The hinges, all 28, match each other and came from some dusty box down low on a shelf in a dimly lit room.  They are made here.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1925 on: November 12, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
As with your other projects you really pay attention to detail.

The crate could become a standard item for other LSR bikers
who ship their machines far and wide.

Nice job Bo. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1926 on: November 14, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »
My youngest girl, Gretchen, helps me when I race.  She has done this since she was a little girl.  SHe like to do it.  Originally we planned to go to AUS.  That would not work with her schedule.  Then we planned for Africa.  That would not work for her, either.  I sort of gave up on the idea of taking her and would go to SA alone.  Three weeks ago Rose found out that Gretchen was secretly saving money to visit London.  Rose saw how much it was.  Not enough.

E-mails, visits, and phone calls were made to important people.  It looks like team Go Dog, Go! will be at Pendine in May.  The three week vacation is basically doing what she wants, like a visit to the Dr. Who museum and all sorts of other things in London.  She is considering a career in finance.  London is definitely a hot spot for that.  It will be a good place for her to see.

My middle son wants to go to a land speed race.  He will be out of the Marines in time for Speedweek SA in 2015.  That is when we at re planning to go to Africa.  The crate will be getting some use. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1927 on: November 17, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
The only pictures I have of Pendine are in Sir Malcolm Campbell's "My Thirty Years of Speed."

This shows the deck on the base.  The bike fits in the holders.  The rear goes in first.  It is in the holder the farthest away.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1928 on: November 17, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »
The sides of the Triumph crate base are very thin sheet steel.  They get beat up easily.  They were pounded back into shape.  Some parts of the Triumph crate that were used to hold up the cardboard sides are pounded flat.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1929 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:57 PM »
The strips are cut-and-beatulated to make these armor strips.  They are riveted on to the sides to make them stronger.

Next time I build a crate the plywood deck will not be grooved for the bike.  Instead, it will be the very bottom of the crate.  The Triumph base will be bolted down on top of it.  The plywood crate sides will cover the base.  Holes for the fork lift tines will be cut in the plywood sides to correspond to the slots in the base.  This simplifies crate construction. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1930 on: November 21, 2014, 01:03:14 AM »
Motorcycle, Triumph, T-100 is tied down onto crate base.  The sides are attached using pins through the hinges.  I could do it by myself. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1931 on: November 21, 2014, 01:06:03 AM »
The top is slid into place.  The only remaining crate type work is to put the hinge leaves on the lid and to coat it with water proofing.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1932 on: November 21, 2014, 07:40:39 AM »
What a neat job.
Bo, you do great work.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1933 on: November 21, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »
Make that container as small as possible. They charge by the cubic foot.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1934 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  The crate is going to go lots of places so it is plenty strong.

Freud, the bike will have the fairing on it and the tail fits over the back half of the bike.  The windshield will be taken off and on one side.  Add my leathers, boots, and helmet to the mix.  Plus, my rain boots, ran coat, umbrella, etc. and it will be filling up.  There is enough room some souvenirs, like a single cylinder Matchless.  Tomorrow I will be in your locale.  The Triumph club rented a party bus and we are going to the Seattle motorcycle show.