Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437909 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1905 on: October 28, 2014, 12:34:02 AM »
Folks over here do not realize the US has had more Ebola cases than many countries in Africa.  We also have a porous borders and a permissive federal government so we have something to worry about right here.

The theme of this build is "modified" rather than "special construction."  The side covers are painted up and decalled just like the originals.  The paint shop charged me $105 and called me the next afternoon after I brought them in to tell me they were ready.  Good service. 

Offline maj

« Reply #1906 on: October 28, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »
Interesting they want wooden crates, stuff i send back and forward is in steel crates or they charge a fumigation fee, can be a couple of hundred $ at each end
our 750 uses a reinforced triumph pallet , just has some 30mm rhs welded to the bottom as extra structure , use the original light top frame and sheet it with light steel rather than the cardboard triumph used
has to be easily dissasembled for inspection if needed , and i still have idiots pry the panels off with a crow bar rather than remove 6 tech screws  that are clearly marked

They will want to check engine and frame numbers if they actually look at it , try not to cover them up with your gearbag or parts

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1907 on: October 28, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
This is good to know, Greg.  It will be a modified bike, for sure.  The frame # is almost impossible to see with the fairing on.  I was considering sending it over partially streamlined, but no chance of that now.  The crate is for the whale sized Triumph Rocket III tourer with windshield and saddlebags.  There is just enough room for the partially streamlined bike.  I will check about the fumigation fee.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1908 on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:25 AM »
The fumigation requirement is "International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) 15.  It is on www.ispm15.com/ISPM15_Revised_2009.pdf."  Exempt materials are on Page 7 of 16.  Fortunately all of that plywood I bought and sawed up is exempt.  Otherwise, I would use it to build a doghouse for a really big mutt or a chicken coop.  The crate cannot have any parts made from normal wood.  Everything needs to be plywood or metal.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1909 on: October 31, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
Happy Halloween from the left coast

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1911 on: November 02, 2014, 12:58:38 AM »
Gretchen and Heidi Rose, my daughters, made it.  The little kids showed up after I had one more beer than I should have.  Rose passed out the candy and I told the mothers with them those goofy Halloween jokes on the Friday humor thread.  Halloween is a fun holiday.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1912 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
There are two Triumph crate sizes, small and large.  This is the large size older style crate.  The holes where the forklift tines go are offset toward the far end of the crate.  This bike has been weighed and it has a rearward weight bias.  The bike needs to be backed onto the crate bottom so its center of gravity lines up better with the fork tine holes.

This is the Triumph rear wheel holder.  Its legs are shortened an inch so it fits lower down into the base.  This reduces the box height and saves shipping costs.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1913 on: November 02, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »
The Triumph front wheel holder is shown.  The vertical legs are shortened 3/8 inches so the bike rides lower.  It is important to affix these wheel holders to the crate base.  They tend to flip up when the bike is rolled off of the base and they damage the undercarriage.  Electrical conduit clamps are used to do this.

The middle of the base is shown.  The base has threads for two eyes in the middle and Triumph does not use them.  These eyes were taken from another crate bottom and they are used so there are six tie down points.

It is awkward to roll a bike in reverse and I dropped it.  The dent on the base under the timing side cover shows where it hit.  The ramp between the two tine pockets is added so it is easier to roll the bike onto the base.  Another ramp will be made between the front wheel holder and the nearest tine pocket.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1914 on: November 02, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
The crate needs to be plywood and this construction type relies on dadoes to keep everything from collapsing.  This video is an example of a dadoed plywood crate.  www.quickcrate.com/assembly-video.php Mine uses the same principle.  I use a different dado style.  Today the bike height was measured and the sides were trimmed to the proper height.  The dadoes were milled.  This style of plywood crate is very strong.  Promotional literature says they can be stacked three high.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1915 on: November 03, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »
"dado"??  Isn't that misspelled?  :roll:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1916 on: November 03, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »
It is Neil.  It is "rabbet" when speled corekt.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1917 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
WW;

That wasn't what I was thinking of...  :evil: :evil:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1918 on: November 10, 2014, 11:36:53 PM »
What tool does this?  www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6rIJAO01XA