Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438128 times)

Online Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1890 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »
Bo.............Looks like a very interesting and exciting trip :cheers:

Regarding the speed..............you may think your top speed will be slower..........but be prepared to go faster :-D

Cool tires.........but I would take your other set along........the V-rated dual-sports may likely have less traction at your anticipated top speed..........
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1891 on: October 18, 2014, 01:44:00 AM »
Hi Dennis.  The speed ratings allow for bursts of speed over the rated velocity.  Also, the weight of the Triumph and me are far less than the fully loaded elephantine adventure bike they are designed for.  They should be OK speed and load wise.  Traction may be a different issue.  Continental makes really good tires and I am hoping they have that figured out.  Basically, I am trusting their engineers more than I trust myself to come up with something better.  The Contis on the bike will be it.  These tires are not available till the end of the month.  No one I know has used them.  This is a big exercise in faith in German engineering. 

This international travel stuff sure is confusing for the homeboy.  A transport company in Surrey is coordinating the bike shipping fiasco.  They have an agent in America to ship the bike to SA.  They have another agent in SA to send the bike back home.  The ladies handling all of this are friendly and one has a friend who runs at Speedweek SA.  I need to find a Carnet de Passage for the bike, whatever that is.  It seems to be some sort of mo'sickle passport.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1892 on: October 19, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
There is a race every year between the onset of winter and everything that needs to get done first.  A full woodshed, the north addition to it, and the southern annex.  The bike shed is painted.  Now it is time to settle into some serious bike building and trip planning.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1893 on: October 20, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »
Bo, that bike shed turned out amazing. Have fun with it. I'm sure you will.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1894 on: October 20, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Bo, I know it's a bit of a hijack, but - how much wood do you like having on hand going into the heating season?  Face cords/full cords/cubic feet.  I'd like to compare what it takes to heat your place and ours.

We use about 9 full cords to heat everything -- that's 27 face cords or 1152 cu. ft.

We're building an addition to the shed, which is now 12x16x8.  The completed shed will be 22x16x8, of which about maybe 2,500 ft. cu. - 19 1/2 cu. ft. will be useable.  Gotta leave room for access, you know.  Our shed is covered and completely sided and has a 4' walk door.

Rick, the guy down the road that does our firewood work, says he likes to have his customers store at least two winters' worth of wood.  Last year we had a very cold winter - to the point that most folks ran out of wood (or other heating fuel).  We stayed toasty warm through the entire winter, and we've still got plenty of wood to get us at least to Thanksgiving - and that's before the addition.  It costs less than $500/year all told to heat our house, garage, and hot tub.  Do you buy your wood or make it from your own property?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1895 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »
SSS-----------this could get to be a FUEL or OCTANE discussion..............MY cords of wood are made up of Red Oak, Hickory, Hard Maple, Iron-Wood, and occasionally a small amount of Ash and Cherry for kindling.................and YES..........it sure was nice to have enough wood piled high for last winter.  We only burn about 3 cords to keep the 800 SF office/family room toasty..........but I cut and split it myself and get help from Carol to get it stacked.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1896 on: October 20, 2014, 10:56:35 PM »
Peter, the little shop is great.  It sure is better than working on the bikes out in the weather.  It took Rose to get this figured out and done.  Building something like this is too much for me.  I did the painting, finished the electrical work, and made the burglar bars.

The climate here is warmer than in Michigan.  We burn 3 cords a year during the coldest part of the winter.  The house is not fully insulated.  Douglas fir, which is not a true fir but its own class of tree, is the major firewood 'cause it grows all around.  Sometimes we buy wood from the county juvenile delinquent rehab program.  It is stuff the city and county crews get and all sorts of trees are in it.  May years we cut up our own trees when they get damaged or diseased or die.  Land speed takes a lot of my time so I buy more wood than I did before.  In the old days I did it all from dropping the tree to tossing the ashes out of the stove.  No time for that now. 

Offline bones

« Reply #1897 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
Hey Bo
   The   'carnet' is a document recognised by governments to help with the shipping of your bike to save you paying import duty in the country you are shipping to
  It is a list of all the things that is in the shipping crate--   bike, tools, leathers, spares. Sometimes they like an itemised list sometimes a general idea.
  This list will be checked when leaving the US and entering SA and also on the way back.
 In Australia I paid a deposit of 50% which is refunded when the bike returns.

cheers    Bones

Offline maj

« Reply #1898 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
If your canet system is like ours you can get an indemnety which allows a small proportion of the deposit to be paid like an insurance , frees up the cash you may want to have available while your traveling

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1899 on: October 24, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
Here in the US we get the carnets from the Canadian Automobile Association.  It took awhile to figure out that one.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1900 on: October 24, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »
Not a lot is happening on the build.  Lots of overtime lately and much of it is out in the wind and rain as construction engineer on some freeway repair I designed.  I come home tired and do not want to do anything.  Watching old Sponge Bob videos is the most intellectual thing I can handle.

The side covers are made from thin fiberglas at the factory.  It is a good idea to beef them up a little bit.  Masking tape is used to cover the outside of the part.  The tape is used to make a lip around the edge of the part 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide.

Some strips and patches are cut from the glass.  They are used to reinforce the outside edge of the part and around the holes.  It is not necessary to reinforce the whole thing.  Double layers are added at the tabs.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1901 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
The extra glass is trimmed from around the edges and the parts are ready to paint.  Some OEM Triumph side cover decals were found in a box of spare parts.  This side cover project has all been done at no cost with stuff laying around.  That will change.  The parts are being sent out to be professionally painted. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1902 on: October 26, 2014, 11:00:24 PM »
None of my children can go with me to SA.  Two are in the Marines, two will be starting fall semester in college, and one is on the east coast looking for work.  It was time to ask my older traveling buddy, Rose, if she wanted to go.  Her reply "Are you nuts?  That is the last place I want to go.  Ebola.  I had enough of Africa while I was growing up in Oakland!"  Experience during thirty six years of marriage tells me argument is counter productive.  It will be the just the Triumph and me on this trip.

The shipping ladies tell me the crate needs to be wood.  I asked them if I could use the metal base from the Triumph one.  They said it is OK.  It is pretty beat up and I am straightening it out and repairing it.  The sides, ends, and top will be made from plywood from Roseburg, a city in western Oregon.  It is good quality 3/8-inch Douglas fir that should last a long time and handle lots of use and abuse.

Online Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1903 on: October 27, 2014, 12:04:58 AM »
Take a lesson from Burt and remember to 'stuff' the crate with blankets :lol:................

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1904 on: October 27, 2014, 01:57:53 AM »
Ebola Nay!! Sorry, got a cold. :-D :-D :-D