Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438055 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1875 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
The intake system prepares the fuel/air mixture for combustion.  Not only do the fuel and air need to be supplied in adequate proportions, the mixture temperature and the degree of fuel atomization and vaporization are also critical.  EFI provides benefits.  Spray patterns can be changed.  Also, multiple injectors can be used, such as one near the butterfly and another one to be used at high speeds at the venturi opening.  Carbs like the flatslides on the Trimph can be adjusted to provide the correct mixture ratio and not much more.

The oxygenated fuel I used this year did not provide any more power than standard leaded race gas.  My best guess is it needed better atomization or to be introduced into the flow stream further back from the intake valves at high rpm.

The carbs provide limited ability to vary the mixture quality so the other option is to select a fuel that works with them.  The baseline fuel this year will be VP C12.  It is a high octane leaded with no added oxygenation.  It is an "idiot proof" fuel according to the locals.  They say it works well in almost anything that needs about 112 octane.  I can get it at Speedweek SA and this is important.  The oxygenated fuel to be tried is Sunoco leaded MO2X.  It is a good fuel to start with for this application, Sunoco says.  The Australian blend unleaded I used last year does not have enough octane for the new high compression motor.  It will be used in the dirt bikes.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1876 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1878 on: October 05, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
Hi Mike.  Streamliners are the ultimate challenge.  It takes time to develop them.

Type "speedweeksa" into u-tube and see what I am preparing for.  The flick about Day 1 of the 2014 Kalahari week is really informative.  Look at the surface and listen to the racers.  This will be tough and getting ready mentally is a big challenge.  Preparing the bike is a lot easier.  The bike is being set up far differently than it is for B'ville.     

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #1879 on: October 05, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the Triumph video. I hope they took the outriggers off before they went 200! That Speedweeksa looks interesting. It looks a lot like Mohave, but I bet they are way further away from the nearest city.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1880 on: October 06, 2014, 12:24:37 AM »
Dan, the pan is in the far northwest corner of SA near Namibia.  The nearest city is Uppington and it is not very big or close.  This place is out in the middle of nowhere.

Metzeler has switched the production of their dual sport tires to China.  In appreciation of this, it is time to switch to another brand.  The tires I am looking for need to have an aggressive tread pattern for dealing with sand.  They also need a high speed rating.  Look at these rascals.  They make them in exactly the sizes I need with a V speed rating.  That is plenty for this application.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWu2_i66c   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1881 on: October 06, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »
Another try.  This link should work.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7Wu2_i66c

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #1882 on: October 06, 2014, 01:55:43 AM »
Wow, that is an impressive tire. It sounded like it is a V rated tired, which is amazing for a duel sport tire. That will definitely give you a lot of traction.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1883 on: October 08, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »
The purpose of this trip is to see SA, run on the pan, and to visit Mike.  Visiting the hospital or morgue would derail all of this.  This looks like a tricky track with loose dust over hard pan.  This is not bad if there are no ruts in the hard under layer.  Ruts in the pan can make a run a thrilling experience in a not so good way.

The bike will be run as a modified with no streamlining.  This will make it easier to handle on a bad track.  There is less weight to manage.  Also, it will also go slower which has its own safety benefits.

Mike warned me about this.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1884 on: October 10, 2014, 12:20:36 AM »
The gasoline order arrived today.  Sunoco is big here so I can get the stuff within a day or two if it is not on the dealer shelf.  The gasoline I would normally use in this higher compression engine is Supreme.  It is non-oxygenated leaded with 112 octane and 0.717 specific gravity.  It is also really close to the VP C12 I can get in Africa.  Jetting and timing set for Supreme should be OK for C12.  It is the baseline gas.

I have not given up on oxygenated gas.  The other fuel is MO2X.  It has 112 octane, 2.7 percent oxygenation using ethanol, is leaded, and has a 0.724 SG.  It is approved for American Motorcyclist Association competition.  Some NASA level thinking tells me it should work good in bikes.  It will be the experimental gas.  The plan is, if the engine responds to this, we will know the form of oxygenation it likes.       

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1885 on: October 10, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
We run VP MR12 in our low compression motor, 13-1, :roll: Low octane but works good up to 13.5-1.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1886 on: October 11, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
Fred, I will see if I can get it in Africa.

The head and base gaskets came back from the annealer in Fontana.  Unlike furnace annealing there is no dark oxide coating.  The cost of doing this is the price these outfits charge to fire up the furnace.  It can be pretty costly.  A good point is they can do a bunch of them in one fire-up.  These little bike gaskets fit in the company's laboratory furnace so the price was lower.  These gaskets are custom made and cost $75 each.  Sending in five and getting them annealed for $175 was a deal.

The annealed gaskets are marked "up" and always installed the same way between the same head and cylinder block.  A new copper gasket is used if a different head or block is used.  It would be annealed and used again for that combination, only.  Use of annealed used gaskets in this manner is my preference.  They seal better is my feeling.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1887 on: October 11, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
The VP MR12 has 87 motor octane.  I am not sure if it would work in this application.  The Triumph needs 110 octane according to most everyone that races one.  None of them run full fairings like I do.  The higher 112 octane fuel so seems like a good choice.  The engine cooling behind that fairing is not as good as it is with a naked motor.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1888 on: October 12, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
This morning PipeMax printout was looked at for octane requirements.  It says the (R+M)/2 octane should be 108.2 to 108.8 for the new motor.  This is about right.  The 112 I will be using gives a bit of added safety for this air-cooled engine.  Plus, the pan is about 2,000 feet lower than Bonneville so the engine compression will be a little bit higher than what I am used to.

A couple of weeks ago I met a local fellow with a KTM adventure bike.  It had a 1,000cc liquid cooled Rotax two cylinder engine.  They put it on their dyno and it has over 100 hp, stock, at the rear wheel.  Yesterday I met another fellow with one of those bikes and I asked him what octane gas he uses.  He fills it up with regular.

These modern Japanese, Austrian, German, and Italian bikes seem to be governed by other principles than Harleys and Triumphs.  The world they live in is sweeter, for sure.  It rains beer, birds chirp, and the sun always shines.  There is absolutely no way a Triumph twin making over 100 horses is going to run on regular.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1889 on: October 15, 2014, 01:26:40 AM »
A big part of this build is making a good looking modified bike.  Some unused fiberglas side covers were in the attic from Projekt Cafe Racer that never happened.  Some alterations are needed to make them fit.  Packaging is a problem for bike or car.