Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438053 times)

Offline Sporty Dan

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1830 on: September 08, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »
Wobbly, I am planning on running a turbo on my sporty next year on either E85 or a 50/50 mix of gas and alcohol for the same reasons you bring up. Head temperatures. From drag racing I know that I would lose power quickly when the motor got hot. That's one thing alcohol does is reduce temperatures.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1831 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »
The dyno curves and cylinder head flow data was sent to a cam grinder to get a special set of bump sticks.  My goal is to get a few horses to go over 150 and I do not want a wild set of cams that wear out the valve train, I said.  A new set of pistons will be made with 12.5 to 1 compression and heat barrier coatings.  This is the highest ratio I can reliably run on gas.  Plans are to do dyno work with E85 and leaded gas to see which makes the best power.  The coolest running fuel will be used if they both make similar power.  E85 is chosen 'cause it is more user friendly and costs less than methanol.  VP and Sunoco both make the stuff so it should be easy to find.

Dan, RB Racing might be able to help you.  They have a lot of experience on the salt with blown Harleys.   

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1832 on: September 09, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
Bo,
I've run with a ceramic coated piston for 3 years without any indication of overheating, although I did go with a new piston this year because the clearance was up to .007"  Bottom of the piston is a caramel color and the top is just the color of the ceramic with an even gray coating.  Head has even coloring with the valves (titanium) a lighter yellow tinge.  This year I had 14 to 1 CR with a 92mm piston, 250 psi cranking pressure, twin plugs, and ran 110K without a glitch.  And then a very knowledgeable friend told me I should be using a different gas that would burn faster and make more power!  I dunno, but the old thing just keeps running and getting faster!

I don't think you will have any problems with 12.5 to 1 and 110K, and I like the ceramic coating for the extra protection for the piston.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1833 on: September 10, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »
Tom, I'll give you a good deal on a half drum of highly oxygenated Australian stock car fuel...

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1834 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
But Bo, I don't plan on running in Australia!
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1835 on: September 10, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
The fuel was blended by ERC fo me when I was planning to go to AUS.  There is no reason it cannot be used here for FIM or the fuel classes in AMA or SCTA.  Rick at ERC makes the fuel and ships it to AUS.

Plans have changed a little bit.  I am tired of working on the bike.  A huge amount of hours was spent in the shed this year.  Plans are to change out the rod big end bearings, install 12.5 to 1 pistons with coatings, and to install some custom cams.  All will be tuned to run on Sunoco MO2X leaded.  This will be a light year for me, bikewise.

Plans are to race in Africa.  I will travel there alone.  I do not have that many years left when I can do this, so if I do it, it needs to be now.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1836 on: September 12, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »
My original plan was to race at Delvene's meet, clean the bike up, and to ship it to AUS for the Lake Gairdner meet in Feb.  Gretchen could not get the time off from school.  The logistics of getting to AUS and then to the lake are too complicated for this homeboy.  Add to this the 50% chance of being rained out.  I might go to AUS after I get more experience with overseas travel.  My out-of-country travel is going through Mexico and to Alaska on a bike with Rose on the back.  Nothing exotic about that.

This is the African meet I sorta accidentally discovered while planning the AUS trip.  www.speedweeksa.com
It looks almost military with the little pup tents all in a row.  This is what I need.  All sorts of things are planned out so all I have to worry about is getting there with the bike and hauling A across the desert floor.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1837 on: September 14, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
Fuel for this air-cooled twin has been investigated by reading what I can find in books and on the i-net.  I am trying to predict the happenings in the combustion chamber and work outward from there.

Nitropropane additive and nitrous are oxidizers with low to no cooling effect from vaporization in the intake tracts.  Plenty of power is available but heat will be a problem.

Propylene oxide and nitromethane give off some very toxic fumes and are a serious health hazard to all around.  This disqualifies them.

Methanol is corrosive and the fumes are irritating.  It will take a lot of maintenance time and expense to use it.

Gasoline is the default fuel.  It can be used in leaded grades.  Some more minor health issues but feasible.

Ethanol provides better intake cooling from vaporization and BTU's per unit weight than methanol.  It is also less toxic and corrosive.  The lack of toxicity is a big issue 'cause the dyno room and my shed are not well ventilated, even with the doors open.  Plus, there are people around me on the salt when I am staging.  Right now I am looking hard at VP C85 and Sunoco E85.  Both are ethanol/unleaded fuel blends.

Is my reasoning on this reasonable?  Does anyone have experience with these 85% ethanol blends in air cooled bikes?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1838 on: September 16, 2014, 02:17:01 AM »
An interesting article.  www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger

Another one.  www.aeristech.co.uk/electric-supercharger

Most of the electric supercharger work is done in the UK.  My feeling is the blower, like all engine components, will eventually go to electric drive so it can be controlled as an aspect of engine management.  Hopefully, in a few years when I get ready for the supercharger installation, folks will have figured this concept out.  It is attractive.  A total loss electric blower has no parasitic drag.   

Offline salt27

« Reply #1839 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Bo,
 I don't know about other sanctioning bodies but the SCTA requires the blower to be mechanically or exhaust driven by the primary engine. (4.FF) page 53, 2014 rule book.

You might want to check the rules for the events you are planning on.

Don

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1840 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:18 PM »
It is FIM so this horseplay is perfectly legit.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1841 on: September 18, 2014, 12:36:55 AM »
The basic philosophy on air filtration is to identify the constriction point in the engine and this is usually the intake valves for a NA motor.  Flow going sonic in the curtain area is a limiting factor and this can be calculated.  Air flow can also be calculated by use of volumetric efficiency, displacement and rpm.  This data can be used with filter manufacturer's recommendations to determine a best filter size to provide adequate filtration.  That was done here, except I used Vizard's numbers.  The pistons and barrels are being sent to South Bay Triumph to get a set of high compression pistons fitted.  They are in great shape after years of use on the salt.  A light hone is all they will need.

The bottom of a piston.  No signs of overheating and this engine was run very hard.  Lots of attention was paid to getting cooling air to the motor, fuel selection, ignition timing, and mixture.

Work spent on meticulous setup pays off big time.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1842 on: September 18, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »
The first set of cylinders were the original 790cc ones.  Open velocity stacks were used and the pistons and bores were done after ten runs.  The second set were the 865cc ones.  I am not sure what went wrong, but they were worn out pretty quick.  Salt wear had some effect.  The filters were some small ones and either oiled foam or gauze.  The last set of 995cc jugs cost a small fortune.  The biggest oiled foam filters are used that will fit.  It works.  I had to get the cylinder wear problem under control or I could not afford to race.

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #1843 on: September 18, 2014, 10:59:56 PM »
Wow, those pistons look great for the abuse that you have given them. I will definitely be running a large filter when I get there!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1844 on: September 19, 2014, 12:54:38 AM »
Hi Dan.  Harley parts are probably like Triumph ones.  Not cheap.

It is time to renew the big end shells.  A dish towel is pulled through the crankcase under the rod.  The rod bolts are taken out.