Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438143 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1785 on: August 18, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »
I always try to work with a carpet on the floor................We leave Wednesday..........see you on the big white dyno.......... :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1786 on: August 19, 2014, 01:01:36 AM »
We will be there, Tom.  The boss was talking to me about working a bunch of overtime this week.  He was about 25 feet away when he said it and I kept walking and did not look at him.  Pretended not to hear him.  This could get ugly for the WW.  I am still working on the scoot and have not started to pack for the trip.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1787 on: August 21, 2014, 01:03:10 AM »
The class designations with big letters are on the bike.  "Cat 1" means "motorcycles propelled by the action of one wheel in contact with the ground."  There are other categories for bikes with two powered wheels like Rokons and bikes with tracks instead of wheels.

"Group A1" is for "solo motorcycles."  These are "2-wheeler bikes making one track on the ground."  There are other groups for sidecar bikes and cycle cars like Morgans.

"Division B" is "Partially-Streamlined."  Naked bikes are in Div A and full streamliners are in Div C.

"Type 1" means "Internal combustion, spark ignition, naturally aspirated."

"Class 10" is for "over 750 cc to 1000 cc"

"(2 Cyl)" means the twins class with Honda Superhawks, BSA A-65's,etc.  Abbreviations like APS-AF would not mean a lot to a guy in Indonesia or elsewhere.  The way the FIM does it makes sense from an international perspective.

One big difference between FIM and other organizations is a two hour turn around time between the down and back runs.  This means a fellow or lady has to be pretty organized.  Those two hours pass pretty quick.

Our team ran and set records on a couple of bikes in the AMA modified partial streamliner - production engine class, MPS-P.  Production engines were made illegal for modified or altered partial streamliners.  The engine was changed to make it altered so it could run in MPS-AG or APS-AG.  Then, production frames were made illegal for MPS or APS.  This was getting silly.  Now the bike had no AMA class to run in.  It has a Triumph frame.  The FIM rules are much more stable.  I can be fairly sure that what I raced last year can be run this year.  It was hard to do this with the AMA.

The FIM rules give builders more latitude.  Electric motor driven forced air induction would be legal in Type II.  A bike like mine with lots of streamlining and a production frame is illegal in AMA.

This explains a little bit about the FIM and why it makes sense for this guy to race in it.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1788 on: August 22, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
The bike was done, so I thought.  The throttle would not spring shut so the tank, rear section, came off and the carbs were pulled off.  The throttle return mechanism got bent and it was straightened.  An auxiliary spring was attached to make sure it shut.  Up till midnight last night.  That is a mini thrash by walrus standards and the two wheeled Jezebel is off the bench and going on the trailer.

Any cams beyond the Triumph 790 ones need valve train work.  Kibblewhite built a custom setup for this bike.  They flow tested the head as a favor.  This is a big help.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1789 on: August 22, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »
Thanks go to Floyd from the Triumph club who gave me a big wad of gas money, and you'all and Slim at Landracing.com for advice.  Also, Rose, Cascade MotoClassics, and ERC get big thanks.  We are off to the races.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #1790 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
Best of luck Bo, sorry I won't see you this year, I came over to experience Speed Week this year rather than BUB I ran last year and the less said the better about that decision. Back in the UK still sulking.......

Offline Freud

« Reply #1791 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
ROSE.......................have fun.

Go barefooted. It feels good.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1792 on: August 23, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
Peter, the bike meet and the USFRA meeting occur past the peak of the monsoon season and before the arrival of the winter frontal storms.  They are close together, time wise.  Probably, if I came from afar, I would attend both meets.  Chances are the weather will be good for one or both.

Barefoot? On the salt?

We got to the Malheur Field Station a few hours ago.  This camera I have is a Canon Rebel and it is smarter than me. The picture of the truck is at our luxury digs at the bottom of the hill.  It is getting dark.  It was even darker after I walked to the top of the hill and took this photo of the field station.  Note how it looks like day.  There is a dial on these cameras with hyroglyphic (Egyptian like) symbols.  The dial was turned all the way clockwise when the photo was taken.  The only doctoring I did to the photo was to do "auto correct" which gave it a richer color.  It did not make it brighter.  It was that way to start.

The sun's glare off the salt makes it hard to take daytime photos.  I will try some in the morning and evening photos with this setting when the sun is not yet up or after it is down.  They might turn out pretty good.     

Offline Freud

« Reply #1793 on: August 24, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
In the picture of the truck You had too much sky in it. That told the camera there was more

light  than there was on the truck. Less sky, just a sliver, and the truck would have been fine

and the sky would have been washed out. The bright light of the sky fooled the camera as to what

You wanted exposed properly. Most cameras determine the exposure near the center of the image.

Some cameras that allow you to alter the area that is in focus chose the exposure from near the center of the image.

In the second foto the light was uniform and so the camera knew what to do.

Let Her tell you what bare feet on the salt feels like. You haven't read that chapter in the book.

Both Her feet and your tires benefit from the coolness of the salt.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #1794 on: August 24, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »
Or you can have some magic electrons work on the image. ;)

I took the liberty of brightening up the dark areas

Offline Freud

« Reply #1795 on: August 24, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the mods. All I wanted to do was help him next time.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1796 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
Thanks for the help with the photos.  These are things I will try next time.

Every trip we take to Utah has some near disaster.  Last year it was the trailer spring break.  That could easily have been real ugly.  This year it was the deer.  We were driving through Roaring Springs Ranch at the base of Catlow Rim when it jumped out of the sagebrush and ran across the road.  It was close.  Real close.  We saw its back muscles flexing as it passed within inches of the right headlight.  It is smooth sailing now.  The close call is behind us.

The pit is set up next to Dennis "Old Scrambler."  The bike wet through tech yesterday afternoon and everything is made ready.  They had the Legends show at the Wendover community hall that evening.  It was mostly a Harley gig and real lovey-dovey on S&S.  This is a part of our history I know nothing about so it was interesting.  Sort of.

We were up at 5 and near the front of the line to go out onto the salt.  Basically, you drive down off of the boat ramp into the lake and hope for the best.  It is real spooky in the morning when you cannot see the big holes near the ramp.  The pits were dry yesterday afternoon.  This morning they were under water.  About an inch to an inch and a half where we are.  The track is to wet for a 150+ mph run.  I will be lucky to get 140 or so.  We did not get out of the truck.  Just turned around and went back to camp.  Tomorrow we will try again. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1797 on: August 26, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
Ugh ....  must be lots of wheel spin

Offline joea

« Reply #1798 on: August 26, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
55 the reports from sanctioning body on FB are record speeds, over 221 mph,others ovr 200 including Andy Sills over 216, reports (also per the bmst FB )

""Andy Sills #1948 1000-MPS-AF says the International Course is "Excellent - smooth- feels quick" 216.015mph"

Eva just set world record record over 210

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1799 on: August 26, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
We went exploring and found a glade full of tan colored mosquitos in an oasis south of town.  They swarmed in for the kill and we left quick.  The weather looked bad and especially south of town.  We went real quick back to the flats to make an afternoon run on the international track.

The bike steered different before I changed the streamlining and moved the pegs back.  I was drifting to the right and I could not figure out how to get back in the middle of the track.  Leaning my shoulder off the bike a little bit in the direction I want to go seems to work.  The run was 146 for the kilo and mile.  This beats my old mile time by 7 mph and my kilo time by 5 mph.  I forgot to tuck my feet in and my body tuck was pretty bad.  There is room for me to improve.

The 36 tooth sprocket was on the back and the engine was turning about 7,200 rpm.  The rev limiter is set for 8,400 rpm so I have some ability to wind it tighter.  The plan is to put the 38 tooth chainwheel on the back and make a Hail Mary run tomorrow.  There will be parts all over the salt or I will have a 150 mph medal.  Also, I plan to remember how to ride.