Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437850 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1740 on: July 03, 2014, 01:31:42 AM »
Hi Mike.  We can ride here pretty much all year except it is wet for most of them and not much fun.  There is a short dry season between 4 July and 15 October during most years.  We ride as much as we can during those few months.

Dyno day is tomorrow.  The 39 mm flat slides have an accelerator pump that squirts gas into the carbs when the throttle is opened.  This dyno is typical for a small bike shop and they use sweep testing where the engine is revved through its rpm range.  The added gas from the pump confuses things so it is disconnected.  These flat slides have main jets for both fuel and air.  The main air jets are the maximum size.

The bike will be delivered to the dyno with the jetting set rich, the most retarded of my ignition modules, and a tank of leaded premium.  The module has the Stage 3 spark advance curve.  Smaller main fuel jets will be tried sequentially until the power drops off.  One or two sizes will produce the best power.  The richest of these optimum jets will be used for the next step.

The Stage 3 and Stage 4 ignition boxes will be compared using ABBA testing.  Then, the Stage 4 and Stage 5 curves will be compared using the same method.  The most retarded box that gives decent power will be selected for the next stage.  The knock light is observed during all of this.  A green glow says OK and a red light says the timing might be too advanced and to not use that curve.  Now the engine is optimized for leaded non-oxygenated gas.  This provides an all-important baseline for evaluating the present tune and the effectiveness of the oxygenated fuel.

The fuel is switched.  The main jet diameter from the previous step is determined from a handy chart and the orifice area is calculated.  Main jets with 15% more area are used initially with the oxygenated fuel.  The jetting is optimized for the fuel using the same procedure as before and the richest jets that produce the best power are selected.  The advance curves are compared using ABBA testing and the most retarded one that produces maximum power is selected.  Now the bike is optimized for the climatic conditions in the dyno room.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1741 on: July 04, 2014, 12:47:43 AM »
Last year the HP was 83.6 at 7,300 rpm with 66.6 lbs-ft torque.  Leaded non-oxygenated gas was used.

Today, the rear tire pressure is 38 psi cold as used in 2013.  The chain, sprockets, and tire are the same as last year.  The smoothing factor is set at 5 with "Standard" correction like last year.  Everything else including the fuel blend is as last year.  The only difference is the mufflers.

Number 150 main jets are used initially.  Smaller jets are tried sequentially.  Number 132 and 135 jets produce the most power.  The #135 jets are the richest jets that produces maximum power.   They are used for the next step.  HP is 88.1 at 7,400 rpm with 72.3 lbs-ft torque.  I was told the muffler switch would give me 5 HP.  That is a pretty darn accurate prediction.

Now, the spark advance curves are optimized.  The Stage 4 curve is 2 degrees advanced from the Stage 3 curve used for the initial testing.  Three runs are made with it at varying engine temperatures.  The average torque is 71.2   lbs-ft.  This is the same torque as the Stage 3 curve for practical purposes.  Three pulls are made with the Stage 5 curve.  It is 2 degrees farther advanced than the Stage 4.  Average torque is 71.2 lbs-ft.  All three of these curves produce the same torque.  They are on the plateau of the spark advance vs peak torque relationship.

The piston is further down in the bore when maximum pressure occurs with the retarded Stage 3 curve.  The maximum pressure in the combustion chamber is less.  The connecting rod big end is further past TDC when the maximum pressure occurs with the retarded # 3 curve.  It has more leverage on the crankshaft.  These factors contribute to making the retarded Stage 3 curve as effective as the others in producing torque - with less combustion chamber pressure and force on the rod bearings.  The Stage 3 curve is selected as the optimal for this fuel and engine tune.  The motor will last a lot longer with it.

Saturday we will tune with the rocket fuel. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1742 on: July 04, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
You'll be fine. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1743 on: July 05, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »
It is early in the morning here and I leave to be at today's dyno work in about 1/2 hour.

The advice I get on spark plug heat value is the #9 plugs from the manufacturer I use are in the middle of the range that most folks use with this fuel.  Also, the fine wire electrode ones I am using can give me an extra HP.  The bike comes from the factory with #8 heat value plugs and they are one step hotter than the #9's.  By "hotter" I mean the positive electrode is less able to conduct heat to the cylinder head.  It stays warmer in use than a colder plug.

Heat in the combustion chamber is roughly proportional to power output and this motor produces far more ponies than the production one.  A new set of #9's went in for this year.  They are better at conducting heat to the cyl head and there is less danger the positive electrodes will overheat.  Visual examination of an 8 used last year backs this up.  The deposit coloration on the center electrode and insulator indicates it is getting a bit warm during operation.

Advice is to go not pay attention to jet numbers.  Instead, it is to go with 15% more main jet area, initially, for this fuel change.   The jets are #135 for the non-oxygenated unleaded.  Some jets in the 140's calculate out to having 15% more area.  I am playing it safe and will use #150 jets to start the tuning.

Dyno printouts mean as much to me as time slips.  A good power gain means a nice year regardless of what happens on the salt.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1744 on: July 06, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »
The first dyno session evaluated the new mufflers.  There is a 3 to 5 HP gain throughout the power band between 3500 and 8000 rpm.  There is some non-exactness to this.  The dyno runs are a year apart.  Maximum power this year with the leaded is developed with one size larger main jet.  This is about right for that power increase.  It is likely the added power is real.

The fuel comparison was done today.  Both fuels produce almost identical power and torque.  Both work great with the Stage 3 advance curve.  The oxygenated unleaded gas requires three sizes larger main jets to make the same power as the non-oxygenated leaded.

Expectations for this year deflated.  It will take a substantial HP increase to go 160 mph and get a record, A few HP will not do it.  The goal now is to have fun being on the salt and to put some points on the graph so will I know what to do next year.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1745 on: July 06, 2014, 03:44:57 AM »
Bo, what more do you have to do to get the HP you still need?.

Isn't having fun and being out there what it's all about?. :wink:

The good news is that what you thought was a problem turned out to be nothing and you sound like you're good to go for Speed Week. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Have a great time brother. Wish I could be there with you.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1746 on: July 06, 2014, 08:02:53 AM »
     Don't let the test numbers get you too down too quick.  Maybe not as high as you would like to see but there is a solid gain where it counts - across a wide range.  Your aero tweak improvements should help the speeds as well.  Theories and dynos are great tools to be used as much as possible but don't always provide the final answers, a big part of what keeps it all interesting.  I'm looking forward to hear what the great white dyno says.

All the best for staying safe, having fun, and going faster with no expensive noises while doing so,

Ed

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1747 on: July 06, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
The bike is set up for the AUS blend and I have 3/4 of a 16 gallon drum remaining.  The stuff has a long storage life.  It will be a few years before I need to buy any more race gas.  My guess is the burn characteristics of the non-oxygenated fuel are optimal for that engine.  As they say in boxing, that fuel "punches above its weight" and it is hard to do better with other fuels.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1748 on: July 07, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
It is family vacation time and everybody is busy.  It will be an old guy riding one of his trusty Triumphs for about two weeks.  It is a big country.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1749 on: July 07, 2014, 12:31:37 PM »
It sure is a big country, Bo.  where are you thinking of going - or at least, which way are you going to point when you get out on the road?  When I used to do weeks-ling motorcycle trips I'd, for instance, pick one of the old national highways (i.e. US 12 or US45 or such)  and ride it from one end to the other.  US 41 starts in Copper Harbor, Michigan and ends in Miami Beach.  Have you got any plans?

I'd just make sure I had a bunch of maps - good maps - with me and head out, the destination in mind being to get back home within the allowed time.  then I'd just ride, ride, ride, camp when I was tired or stay at a motel if I really needed a shower, and - next morning - get back on the bike and ride some more.

Here's to a fine trip for you.  Stay safe - and have fun. :-D :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #1750 on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
He can go a lot farther East than he can West.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1751 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:25 AM »
Arrived back at home a few hours ago.  We, my middle boy Josef and me, rode to the top of Palomar Mountain.  You can see across the Mexican border from there on a clear day.  We were pretty far south.  At 17, my first bike was a Yamaha DT-1 250cc single and I toured California and part of Arizona on that thing.  It had 16 horsepower and it was suicide to ride it on the freeway.  It was best on back roads.  I still tour like that.  Hardly any freeway and lots of remote roads and twisty ones where ever I can find them.  The big plan was to sorta go south till I got to Camp Pendleton then ride with my boy for two days.  Then I would ride in kinda a north direction till I got home.  A few things I learned have LSR applications.  They will get posted in a few days.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1752 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32:35 PM »
My dirt bike helmet was bought new in 1986.  It is time to get a new one.  I also needed a helmet for the big road trip.  In addition, a taller eye port will help me to see at B'ville when I am crouched down on the tank.  A single lid that meets all requirements is best from a cheapskate viewpoint.

The bucket shown is one of the new convertible helmets.  It can be used with the visor and no shield for the dirt.  The shield can be installed with no visor for speed work.  The visor and shield can be used together for road riding.

The visor is no problem at speeds up to 70 mph or so.  It shades the face shield so there is much less glare and eye strain when riding toward the sun.  The internal ventilation is better than any road helmet I have used.  This is a helmet I would definitely consider if I was using it in a car.  There is ample clearance around the nose for occasional bugger excavation.  Road helmets do not have enough room for this.

The wind noise in the helmet is loud.  This seems to be typical of full face ones.  I tried all sorts of fancy ear plugs and none worked very well.  A cheap pair of orange "foamies" like we use around construction projects did the trick.  No more noise.

The bike felt skaty through sweeping turns, like I was at the limits of cornering speed, at 55 or 60 mph.  It was pretty heavily loaded and I thought this was the problem.  This changed dramatically when I used the foamies.  I could easily add 5 to 10 mph to my speeds in the quiet environment with no strain.  I have no idea why this happens.  Foamies will be used at B'ville, for sure. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1753 on: July 21, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
Road vs convertible helmet in top view.  Both lids are Snell approved and legal for LSR.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1754 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:23 AM »
There is an aggressive form of rattlesnake in the near Ridgecrest called the Mohave Green.  Normal rattler antivenom will not work for these guy's bites.  My late uncle lived there and he told me about this.  Cowboys looped a rope around where they slept with the theory that the reptile will not cross the rope.  This rope has been soaked in stale racing gas to make sure the critters stay away.