Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438072 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1725 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:40 AM »
Thanks for the concern, fellows.  Golf was looking good this afternoon.  Everything looks perfect inside the motor.  Except for the lower compression ring on the right cylinder.  I installed it upside down.  The bike was ridden on the street for 600 miles, put through a long dyno session, and raced for a year.  Why it started smoking now, rather than before, is a big mystery.

Tomorrow I am taking a day off from work, will get up at 5:00, and I will put it together.  Then, another dyno session will be scheduled. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1726 on: June 27, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »
Bo, things always happen for a reason.
I'm glad you found the "little glich" now rather than in August.

You'll be good to go in no time. I'm happy for you man. :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1727 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the concern, fellows.  Golf was looking good this afternoon.  Everything looks perfect inside the motor.  Except for the lower compression ring on the right cylinder.  I installed it upside down.  The bike was ridden on the street for 600 miles, put through a long dyno session, and raced for a year.  Why it started smoking now, rather than before, is a big mystery.

Tomorrow I am taking a day off from work, will get up at 5:00, and I will put it together.  Then, another dyno session will be scheduled. 

Bo,

Engine loading on the dyno can be much more "severe" than the load you can impose by "unloaded running-in" or even "enthusiastic" street riding.    On the street/track, higher load levels are typically not achieved until the engine "sees" top gear and high rpm's.    And even those loads may not be as high as the dyno can impose.    The "heavy" loading tends to "reveal" problems that did not occur previously, at lower load/stress levels.

Glad you discovered it now and not later.

Golf?    The perfect game for those who don't get enough stress in their normal lives . . . . .   :-D
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1728 on: June 27, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Mike, my handicap is ......................................................Golf. :-D

I love watching it though.

Sorry Bo.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1729 on: June 27, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »
Mike--I`m with you.Watching it relaxes me a great deal. During my younger days, I suffered with Insomnia a great deal. Watching Golf in those 2/3/4 AM hours cured it....

Offline JimL

« Reply #1730 on: June 28, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
They can run pretty good this way, but it is difficult in general use to get enough heat deep enough in the muffler to burn off the oil puddle that was building there.

I suspect it wasnt a "finally broke" event.  It was just accumulation over time and finally got the fire lit (so to speak).  It will have a lot more smoke, for a while...even after you fix it.  Just keep in mind how little oil it takes to make a 2-stroke smoke.  

This oiled exhaust was every day life, back in the years we were fixing pre-chamber seals on early Honda cars.  We had to tell the customers to expect a lot of smoke, some day, up a big hill.

There is possibility that this ring is roached due to poor sealing under pressure.  They lose a corner that way, sometimes.  Hard to say.....

JimL
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:09:58 AM by JimL »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1731 on: June 28, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »
The pistons and rings are custom made and there is eight weeks lead time, minimum, between ordering them and the little box arriving in the big brown truck.  The ring was looked at under a watchmaker's loupe.  It is sealing good and installing it upside down is not a big issue.  It worked OK for the big 2013 dyno session and running at B'ville last year.

The bike was run for the first time this year on the Saturday of the car show.  It was taken off the trailer and ridden from the parking lot to the show, and it was ridden back to the trailer when the show was done.  The plug caps were pulled off and the plugs and the leads were grounded to the head.  The air cleaners were taken off and the float bowls drained.  Then, I opened up the throttle to max, cranked the engine over, and squirted mystery oil into each cylinder.  That oil burning off might have been the problem.

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #1732 on: June 28, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
WW, that more than likely is the issue. On the dyno it was working hard enough to get the oil trapped in the oil ring to burn off, causing all the smoke. If everything else looks ok, the rest of the rings, piston cylinder wall, then that should be the problem.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1733 on: June 29, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
This morning i got up early and finished putting it together then fired it up.  No smoke for about 30 seconds, then it started.  Lots from the right cylinder.  Next, the left started to smoke.  That was the problem, oil was in the muffler packing from the oil downs I do after running the motor.  It was burning off and it took awhile to get hot enough.

This is the first engine I took from the bench to the dyno.  I always broke in and sorted them on the street.  Now it was time to locate the proper venue for this.  My old "test hill" is a major state highway and this bike is in no way street legal.

Some serious thinking was required so I had a beer and a dish of ice cream to keep my brain from overheating.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1734 on: June 29, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
There is a place in the county called Coon Hollow.  Not many folks go there.  The first photo shows where I parked looking north.  The road dips down into a little ravine and climbs back out.  Notice the rolling terrain.  We call these "the rollers" and it is easy to get a car airborne there.  They should be named "the flippers" to reflect the true situation.

The next pic shows the road I used for testing and sorting.  There is none better than this.  It drops down into Coon Hollow.  Testing was going well.  A black cat ran across the road in front of me.  Then, I realized I was having far too much fun and pushing my luck.  The bike went back on the trailer.  No smoke now.  Only the sweet smell of leaded gas exhaust. 

Offline Freud

« Reply #1735 on: June 29, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
Just like the operating manual for a Triumph.

One sign says Triumph Road and the other sign that is at a right angle to it also says Triumph Road.

A left hand thread that the manual says gets tighter if you turn it clockwise.

That's why a Garmin GPS repeats and repeats, "re-calculating, re-calculating."

Keen observer........right?

FREUD

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:30:18 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1736 on: June 29, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
 :cheers:
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #1737 on: June 30, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.  :-D Especially since all you had to do was "blow the gunk out"!  :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1738 on: July 01, 2014, 01:40:32 AM »
Freud, I remember that reverse thread nut.  It held on one of the rider's foot pegs.  The one on the other side had normal threads.  The pegs were mounted to the frame on tapered spindles.  The reverse nut was made that way so it would tighten if the foot peg assembly rotated on the spindle.  It would loosen if it had normal threads.

These bikes are simple and easy to work on as compared to most modern bikes.  The head and cylinders came off without needing to remove the engine from the frame.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1739 on: July 01, 2014, 01:56:42 AM »
Great news Bo.

Life throws those "wobblies" at us just to keep us sharp. :-D

That looks like a great place to ride.