Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438119 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1710 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »
Hi, Dan.  The fuel cock was an internet order from Pingel.  It is a what they call a "remote guzzler."  The front brake master cylinder reservoir cap is replaced by the home-made one shown.  The lever is attached to the cable that connects to the fuel valve that is screwed onto the tank.  The lever goes wherever the tank does.  The tank is off of the bike and the lever is, too.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1711 on: June 18, 2014, 01:19:42 AM »
The fuel system is done for this year.  The fuel hoses are like the one with the stainless steel braid covering.  It is #5 (5/16) ID with a #6 OD.  This is thick walled hose.  Otherwise it would be #5 ID with #5 OD.  The hose is too stiff to make sharp bends.  The most efficient way, flow wise, to make it go around a corner is the bent brake line.  The largest diameter tube that fits inside the hose is used.  The tube ends are "bubbled" rather than flared.  Hillbilly AN fittings are used with hose camps.  This setup flowed better than bends made from authentic AN fittings.

The vent lines are fire resistant hoses made for commercial marine use.  This is the blue hose in the picture.  It is a thick walled hose with a #5 hose ID and a #6 hose OD.  Corrosion resistant AN fittings for these hoses cost a lot of money, so more hillbilly AN fittings are employed.

The fuel lines are covered with fire sleeve.  This is needed according to the tech requirements.  It also helps to keep the fuel cool so it will make a bit more power.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1712 on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »
The off side is shown in the photo.  The silver hose is the fuel line from the tank valve on the near side.  The brass fittings are on it to break the line when the tank is removed.  The blue line coming out of the bottom of the tank is the tank vent line.   Originally I had a tip-over valve and a vent valve on the line.  This was bulky and it hindered access to the carb bottoms.  The little crimson valve does both functions in a lot less space.  It was hard to find and I ordered it from England.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1713 on: June 18, 2014, 01:47:35 AM »
"Install an open ended breather on the top of the tank with the end out in the breeze" is advice I got about running this fuel.  The gas cap is modified to breathe through this open-ended hose.  The Pingel guzzler acts as a shutoff valve so the vent can be closed when not in use.  This prevents the loss of important volatiles in the fuel through vaporization  when the bike is parked.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1714 on: June 18, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »
That is a neat job Bo and as usual you've left nothing to chance.
Your attention to detail is 100%.

I hope to see the bike in person one day.  :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1715 on: June 20, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
The big credit for this goes to Rick G. at ERC.  He gives me all sorts of advice on set up for this fuel.  Experts that give specific, detailed, and intelligent answers to questions are a big help.  Also, good support folks tell you the things you need to do that you do not know enough to ask about.  Now, tech support is a number one consideration when I choose a product or service.   It was not always like this.  I had to learn the hard way.

The Triumph uses 10W-40 oil with special additives for its wet clutch and transmission.  These are special bike oils and they are made to conform to the latest street use specifications.  This makes sense when the limited market for them is considered.

The phosphorous content in the brand I use was 1600 ppm for years.  It has been lowered to 1200 ppm to conform to newer standards.  A particular break in additive, when 4 oz is added to 4 quarts of oil, raises the phosphorous content 575 ppm.  The bike uses 4 quarts, so the math is simple to raise the phosphorous content 400 ppm:  (400 / 575) x 4 oz = 2.8 oz.  That is how much break in additive I add to 4 quarts of oil.

A word of caution.  This oil uses phosphorous as an anti-wear additive and the detergent package is designed so it does not remove the phosphorous glaze.  This is not the case with many oils, and adding the phosphorous to them does no good.  This is something I researched before I chose to use the additive. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1716 on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »
The scoot fired up and ran on Sat morning.  No oil leaks, gas leaks, or anything bad.  We went up the local car show on Sat evening parked the bike in the line up with the fender, fairing, belly pan, and tail next to it.  It was the the only motorcycle there.

The FIM wants pictures of each side of the bike with and without the streamlining.  The "with streamlining" photos were posted a few weeks ago.  These are the "without streamlining" ones.  All will be sent in to the American Motorcyclist Association as part of the entry process.  The rider does not enter to run FIM on his/her own.  They race as part of the group of riders from a country and they represent their national organization.  Us gringos represent the AMA.

This is one side.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1717 on: June 23, 2014, 01:21:49 AM »
And the other.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1718 on: June 23, 2014, 02:20:55 AM »
Bo, it looks right just sitting there. :cheers:

The amount of R&D that has gone into the bike let alone the Ti machining is an achievement of note.

All I can say is go Gringo go!!!!!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1719 on: June 24, 2014, 01:13:05 AM »
Something tells me this will be my big year.  I just need to get there, have a track of good salt with decent weather, and not screw up the riding part.  There are no excuses, now.  The bike is as good as it can be.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1720 on: June 26, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
The bike was on the dyno at 10:30 this morning.  It was being warmed up and suddenly all sorts of smoke came out of the right muffler.  F**k.  This will not be easy.  Almost everything in that engine is custom made.  Tonight it will be torn down.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1721 on: June 26, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
WW;

I hope it isn't too bad once you get into it.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1722 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Ah, man!  I'm feeling for you Bo.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1723 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
WW;

I hope it isn't too bad once you get into it.

My feeling too.

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #1724 on: June 26, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
Oh no  :-(

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.