Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438047 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1680 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »
My mate Lee says that if Widows were a car they'd be selling it without wheels. The new stuff goes out the door unfinished. :-D

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #1681 on: May 16, 2014, 04:41:46 AM »
Bo, using a program called Parallels on your Mac will allow you to load your preferred version of Windows on to your Mac and simultaneously run OSX and Windows programs. That's what I use, works faultlessly.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1682 on: May 16, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
If you have a PC that will run the needed programs, use it.

Don't contaminate the new Mac with a disease called PC.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1683 on: May 16, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
Apple is good -- and if it's a new unit, considering buying the "AppleCare" extended warranty.  I've done so with all of the Macs we've had, and not only is the customer service very good -- but each and every person with whom I've talked over the years has spoken like American English is his native language.  Well, a few of them have been Canadian... :evil:

But - please think about buying it, if for no other reason than to help navigate through issues you're having with old PC programs that you want to use on the Apple device.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1684 on: May 21, 2014, 01:56:39 AM »
Thanks, Slim, I will do what you recommend.

We are racing in the US this summer and I looked at all of the options.  Safety is a big issue.  The track at an all-bike meet is likely to be in better condition.  It is not torn up by heavy and powerful cars.  Last year's Speedweek got me to thinking about this.  So, we are signed up for Delvene's first meet, as FIM, partially streamlined, 1000cc, naturally aspirated, twin cylinder.  The record is 159+ and we have done 140.  Some serious hours and hardly any money, 'cause I do not have it, is going into this year's attempt.  Things are looking good.  Torch and hammer work, mainly, with some can tipping, that is the big plan.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1685 on: May 25, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
The trip back to Oregon from the salt flats is pretty long and there is time for serious planning and thinking.  Where do I go from here?  That is the big question I asked myself.  This is the data I need to make intelligent decisions about the engine.

1)  The long block, including intake and exhaust systems optimized to the best of my ability and in good condition. Done.
2)  A logical choice of fuels based on best available data.  Done.
3) Spark advance curves optimised for fuels.  To do in July.
4)  Flow bench testing of the header, carb, air filter, manifold, and cylinder head with cam.  Done.
5)  Dyno testing.  To be done in July.
6)  Measured compression ratios and cam timing.  Compression ratio done.  Cam timing to be done in September.

My original plan was to take all of this data to a professional, along with some money, and to pay for an expert opinion.  Now I am thinking of using one of the better engine performance software packages to figure out any changes I need to make big HP.

Is there any additional data I need to collect?   . 

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1686 on: May 26, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
To go along with all of the power you can find..................good aero..............and check your tires for the speed rating :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1687 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »
The aero is what I am working on now.  The first picture shows the foot peg moved back 5 inches with the new mounting plate, linkage, brake pedal, etc.  This will let me get down on the tank with my chest.  I could not do that before.  The pegs were too far forward.

The second picture shows the belly pan and the spat in front of the rear wheel.  This is new for this year.  It should reduce the drag caused by turbulence under the vehicle.     

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1688 on: May 27, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »
The never ending evolution.

Bo, you deserve whatever it is you're hoping to achieve.
There should be a forum trophy for what you do. SSS?????? :evil:

I can't wait to hear how she runs.

You mentioned wanting to use an expert to help you get an optimum set up.
If he isn't at race day with you why do you need one?. IMO no one knows this bike better than you. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1689 on: June 01, 2014, 01:08:05 PM »
Hi Mike.  The engine is as far along as I can go with my tuning ability.  There is an NA record I am after so I need to know the best combination of compression, cams, and valve size to get a few more HP.  Right now I have 10.5 to 1 compression and all-purpose scrambles type cams.  There is a lot of untapped potential in the motor.  All of this engine work will be done after this year's meet.

The before photo is on top.  The pegs are moved back and that is all.  The after photo is on the bottom.  The fairing is extended at the bottom and the tail is reworked so it fits closer to the back of my legs.  Also, I sit on the bike every day and this is helping me to get lower.  The only thing keeping me form getting further down is the eye port in the helmet.  Is there a "not made in China" helmet with a tall eye port?

The FIM requires pictures of the bike with and without the streamlining and they need to have them in early July.  This evening I will be done with the tin work and it will be time to take the "with streamlining" pictures.   

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1690 on: June 01, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
WW;

A dopey question from a non- bike guy: Since the helmet eye port (and the limit of eyeball motion) determine how far you can lower your head, has anyone tried putting a mirror below your head to reflect a forward view? It might be a weird feeling trying to steer the bike while looking through a mirror but has it been tried?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1691 on: June 01, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
Neil,

Now your just a trouble maker :-D Us bikers are a large heard of cats that has over the years given the "Foke me doke" SCTA fokes lots of sleepless nights. The only reason they put up with us is they want our $s to support uncle ELMO 8-) 
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #1692 on: June 01, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
Speaking of helmets, have you thought about getting a helmet from the manufacturer? When I was drag racing I was able to get a Simpson with what they called a "Drag Bike Cut". That is, they cut the neck higher in the back in order to let your head rotate more. The last helmet I got was 8 years ago so that is the last time I know they did that for sure. I know I will be checking into it next year when I order a new helmet before going to the salt next year.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1693 on: June 02, 2014, 01:18:02 AM »
Neil, the bike bounces around a lot.  It is hard to look through anything attached to it.

Dan, I will try what you say. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1694 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33:44 AM »
The FIM requires pictures of the bike with and without streamlining.  These are sent in with the entry forms.  It takes some planning and effort to make sure the streamlining is finished in time.  The first picture shows the side.  Unlike the AMA or DLRA, the rider's hands must be visible.  The second picture shows the front of the bike.