Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437878 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1605 on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »
The NW Reunion was last night.  Freud And Ray Therat did a good job.  Lots of folks from Landracing.com where there including a few that came all the way from Kansas.  It is nice to see everyone.  This is the only time in the year when the BUB, SCTA, and USFRA folks are in the same place.

The middle section of the new spacer will have the same dimensions as the old one.  The outer diameter of the upper and lower sections of the new left spacer will be increased or decreased, as compared to the old, to get equivalent stiffness.  The OD is increased from 1.027 and 0.945 inches on the old one to 1.193 and 0.193 inches on the new ones.  Now the new spacers will have the same stiffness as the old.

One finds, when looking at stiffness, that greater amounts of the lighter metals are often needed to provide the same rigidity as steel.  A steel part in some instances takes up less room and is lighter.  This combined with steel's excellent fatigue resistance, make it the true "wonder metal."   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1606 on: March 02, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
The issues I am dealing with are the same as folks have that travel to the US for Bonneville.  There is the need to build the bike and handle the trip logistics.  All of that combined with a full time job, chores, a retired wife, and kids at home are using up all of my time.  It is important to spend some hours with the family during the evenings so I go to bed at a normal time and get up really early, long before the rooster crows, to work on the bike.  No time to post or keep up on the forum.  A guy needs to sleep sometime.

There is a AUS record in the modified class I was aiming for as well as the DLRA 150 Club.  The 150 runs will need the  streamlining and the modified class does not allow it.  The videos of Lake G show flies everywhere and great heat.  It is a big job to unstreamline that bike and the thought of doing it in those conditions does not appeal.  Plus, the majority of the bike is pretty much salt free with the streamlining and it will be covered with salt in the modified state.  I am not sure if I will have the facilities and time to desalt it.  Plans to go for that record are dropped and the goal is to go over 150 mph and not crash.

Some shrouds are made for the back wheel.  Three posts are made to tie them together as shown in the first photo.  They are on and taped up.  The ti wheel spacers are on that axle.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1607 on: March 02, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
The other side.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1608 on: March 02, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
Wobble.....thanks for bringing Rose and Gretchen to the banquet.

The ladies generally account for about 30% of the attendance.

This year it was 27%.

I am happy that Ray was there and our group had an opportunity

to rub elbows with him. I am trying to find the images that he shot

since I never did any at all. I'd love to have that part of our history.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline salt27

« Reply #1609 on: March 02, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »
Bo, those wheel covers look very nice, did you form them?

I need to make a set too.

It was great to see you and your family at the NWR.

Thanks, Don

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #1610 on: March 02, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
Those flies was absolute driving me bonkers when I was in the desert, the tiny buggers are incredibly quick in the heat and gets absolute everywhere especially irritating in the face. Also annoying when they crawl on your sweaty arms and everywhere on exposed skin. I bought a net shirt and found great relief. The net shirt covered the upper body including the whole head. The shirt wasn't restricting any movement and saved me all of that constant ozzy fending and waving off. If you look ridicuolus in it? That feeling lasts about 3 minutes in a fly infested area. No, make that 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:14:40 PM by charlie101 »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1611 on: March 02, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »
Freud, the ladies enjoyed the evening.  Don, they are just flat sheet aluminum cut to fit.  Nothing fancy.  Charlie, I will bring my army surplus Vietnam era mosquito hat and buy one of those shirts you are talking about.  Are they harmless brine flies or do they bite like deer flies?

I was going to post something, read about Ray, and then completely forgot about what I was going to say.

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #1612 on: March 03, 2014, 02:44:42 AM »
Before I bought it in the area I was, they where not biting just utterly annoying and I don't remember if they where biting in the areas I went to afterwards. I went to Indonesia later and had use of it for the mosquitos. I will miss Ray's photos. Target 550 is a role model in the photoreportage field thanks to Ray. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to follow the build, thanks to Marlo.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1613 on: March 09, 2014, 11:44:22 PM »
Gretchen, my youngest daughter is going with me to Australia.  Almost always she sees the stuff I get from AUS so she knows what is expected.  That picture of Animal mc'ing the awards meeting in his underwear is something I did not show her.

The front axle spacer on the right side is always getting rusty and I repaint it.  The other side has the speedo drive and it is disconnected.  Last summer I bought a thick ti rod with the expectation of replacing both parts.  They were turned up this week.  Both sets of calculate out to having the same deflection under a 2000# axial load.  The ti parts are much larger.  It is a springier metal with a Young's modulus of 15,500,000 psi as compared to steel's 29,000,00 psi.  It takes more ti to get the stiffness of the steel parts.  This negates any weight savings from using the lighter metal.

One good thing about the material is the smooth "as machined" finish.  The oil seals rotate relatively freely around these spacers with little drag.     

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1614 on: March 13, 2014, 03:37:23 AM »
The flies aren't as bad on the lake, only off the lake
And I don't think we celebrate the 150 club anymore
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1615 on: March 13, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
No 150 club...

Corrosion is a problem on the rear brakes on these bikes on the street.  The salt does not help.  The first picture shows the caliper apart.  The two pins the pucks ride on are circled and they had to be drilled out of the caliper in pieces.  The little black pin that is alone in the circle is something I will remake in corrosion resistant ti.  Other parts that are circled will be replaced with stainless parts.

A package came from the Royal Mail today with the stainless parts.  These are good quality and very reasonably priced.  The company is in Lancashire.  They are the only place I know that sells the parts.

Stainless pieces are perfectly capable of corroding solidly into the aluminum caliper.  Periodically the caliper needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and assembled with marine grade anti-seize.  The stainless helps a lot by reducing the number of parts that need to be replated or painted when things are apart.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1616 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
The DLRA rules say the axle pinch bolts must be safety wired.  This is a problem for me.  One bolt has a recessed allen head.  A new bolt is needed with a projecting hex head that can be wired.  It is made from structural ti and this tough material is hard to machine.  This is how I did it.

The picture shows the bolt with the threaded end inside the chuck.  A new die was bought so it was nice and sharp.  A few threads were cut on an old bolt and I measured the outside diameter of the threads the die cuts.  Then, 0.10 mm was subtracted from that diameter.  The bolt shank was turned to this major diameter.  The threads are cut down in stages.  The lathe could be used to do this, except it is not set up for metric threads.  An adjustable tap could be used.  Instead, the first pass was made with a 9 mm x 1.25 mm die and the second pass with a 8 mm x 1.25 mm die.  All of these steps are essential when threading structural ti based on my experience.

The head will be filed to shape.  A little stub is machined to the end of the bolt to hold a 6 mm x 1.0 mm nut.  This will be my guide during the filing.  It is not important that it have full depth threads. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1617 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »
The major and minor diameters of a 6 mm x 1.0 mm thread are averaged to get the diameter I used for the little stub.  It is cut to this size before it is threaded.  The next picture shows the bolt after the hex is filed, the 6 mm x 1.0 mm nut is removed, the stub is cut off, and center punch marks are made for the safety wire holes. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1618 on: March 16, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »
Ti is very tough and it is easy to break the drill when the bit exits the far side of the part.  These six safety wire holes are blind bores that almost go into the middle of the part.  These is no danger of breaking the drill 'cause it never leaves the metal or intersects another hole.  A hole is drilled down the middle of the head.  It intersects all of the other six holes.  Now there are lotsa holes for the safety wire.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1619 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
This is the finished bolt.  Some of these little tricks were in earlier posts that are spread out over the years.  Here they are all at the same time.  All of this I find to be essential to make ti bolts.