Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438007 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1560 on: January 30, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
BBC News BBC Sport

404 - Page Not Found

:?  :?  :?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Freud

« Reply #1561 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »
This is what happened when I tried to open your link:

404 - Page Not Found

This might be because you typed the web address incorrectly. Please check the address and spelling ensuring that it does not contain capital letters or spaces.

It is possible that the page you were looking for may have been moved, updated or deleted.

Please click the back button to try another link.

Or
Visit the BBC News Home Page.
Visit the BBC Sport Home Page.
Explore our full list of sites and services.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1562 on: February 01, 2014, 02:19:30 AM »
Trywww.bbc.uk/news/magazine-25951029  I had one too many zeros in the first attempt.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1563 on: February 01, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1564 on: February 02, 2014, 02:42:38 AM »
Tom, a drunk crossed over into Werner's lane one night on a road in Camp Pendleton.  We are pretty sure he was distracted by a personal electronic device.  He hit Werner head on at about 60 mph.  Werner saw the guy coming and slowed down.  The impact pulled Werner's feet out of his combat boots and broke a bunch of bones in them.  The guy ran over the Scrambler and he stopped about a half mile down the road.  A lady was driving by and she called the meat wagon.  They took Werner to Scripps hospital and he was there for awhile.  He came back to Oregon for a month and Rose took care of him.  Now he is back with the marines and he is on light duty.  He is pretty much healed up.

He was asleep at our house and there was a copy of Hot Rod magazine on the table near him.  We asked him about this.    Werner said he is interested in cars now.  Steve, the owner of our local speed shop has his roadster in the back room.  We went and looked at it and Werner said he wants to build a roadster.  Right before he left to go back to Camp P., we went to Portland and bought that book  "How to Build a Cheap Hot Rod" and I gave him my copy of Jim L's book on building a custom Model T rod.

Fireman Jim, I am using "Tune ECU."  The people in Dorset give good technical support and they told me what to do to fix the idiot light.  It works now.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1565 on: February 03, 2014, 02:10:29 AM »
The bike build is getting intense.  It is time for a day off.  Gretchen and me went to the Triumph Cub breakfast and then we goofed around in Portland.  This is one of our highway department bridges.  They had a hard time finding the money to build it.  The little district at the end of the bridge where we are held dances, bake sales, etc to help pay for it.  They are proud of it.  That pukey green color is standard issue state bridge paint.  It is very salt resistant.  The Triumph would be painted with that stuff if I could get it in a prettier color.

This is an old Signal gas station.  It is a pizza parlor now and they make a good pie.  The pump price dial goes up to 99.9 cents per gallon and no more.  It would not have enough digits for today's prices.         

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1566 on: February 04, 2014, 12:36:26 AM »
The race bike was sitting outside like it usually does.  The forks and wheels were off.  This weekend I put it back together enough to roll and got in the shed and up on the bench.  It sure is better to work on it somewhere that is warm and light.  Every inch of the bike is looked over every year.  Now enough parts are made or bought so I can start putting it together.  A bolt that is torqued down and not to be removed until I get back from Australia is marked with green fingernail polish.  It sure is a good feeling to see more and more green spots on those fasteners. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1567 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
Bo,
I wouldn't have taken you to be a person that uses green finger nail polish.  What we don't know about our friends :-D!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1568 on: February 04, 2014, 08:18:01 AM »
Good photos Bo.

I always thought red might be your color?. :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1569 on: February 06, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
Youse wiseguys have a problem wit my nail polish?

The picture I took of that bridge a few posts ago was near the front door of a German style brewery in St Johns, Portland.  The family likes their beer so I put a few growlers in the truck or saddlebag when I visit Portland.  The growler bottles weigh a lot so I bought a few of these mini-kegs.  They are lighter.  One thing we sops accidentally discovered is these little kegs have better seals and they keep the carbonization longer.  They also hold the same amount of beer as the growlers.  This is not directly related to land speed.  it is useful info, though.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1570 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
Is that Stainless?.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1571 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:33 PM »
Is that Stainless?.

No, that's me in the Austrailian Belly Tank thread with Dr. G.... and a mere reflection of MM

Oh, nice growler... I'll bet if you drop it, it wont shatter all over the floor and spill that fine craft beer.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1572 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
Yes, it is stainless steel.  They are USD $50.

It does not snow a lot here, only a few times a year.  It is snowing now and this is the perfect time to spend a weekend making hardware.  The first job is to make a 3-inch long threaded stud with 8mm x 1.25 mm threads.  Stainless steel will be used and the alloy I have is difficult to machine.  These are some tricks I use to deal with this steel and titanium.  Both are hard to work.

These metals can be tough to thread. One thing I do is to trim the rod down to "Minimum Screw" diameter before I thread it.  This reduces the amount of metal the die removes and it makes the rod easier to thread.  Also, if I am drilling a hole to be threaded, I will drill it out to "Maximum Nut" diameter.  This makes the hole easier to tap.  Figure 2 from an old machinist handbook shows this.   

Offline JimL

« Reply #1573 on: February 07, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »
I have 8mm x 1.25 all-thread if'n you need a little.  A long phosporic acid soak makes it pretty corrosion proof and not so brittle. 

Also, there was another book I did, before the one you have, on converting front-wheel drive engine to rear-wheel drive for a small roadster project.  I will make you a disk copy to run on your computer, and bring it to the NW Reunion.  It might give Werner more food for thought.
JimL

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:26:23 PM by JimL »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1574 on: February 08, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »
Jim, could you post the phosphate trick? 

Werner just got promoted to lance corporal, Rose told me last night.  He would do something like you describe in the book.  He built a lot of the bike he raced at BUB a few years ago so he is not afraid to mangle metal.  That book might be a big help.

These tables are in the machinist handbook.  This is the loose fit table.  Column 4 lists the minimum major diameter for the shaft to be threaded.  Column 9 gives the maximum diameter for the hole to be threaded.  The small shaft and big hole will reduce the amount of metal the die or tap needs to cut.  This makes it possible to cut or tap threads on very tough metals.

A person needs to realize this method also provides minimum thread engagement.  It is not the best solution for critical or heavily loaded fasteners.