Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438100 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1545 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
It is more comfortable with the pegs back a bit, Mike.  I could not get them back far enough to be comfortable.  There is the big need to keep my feet tucked up inside the streamlining.  This is hard to do if they are far back.  Sort of like a bird.  Those guys keep their feet tucked into their bellies when they fly.

Peter, that sure is a classic bike.  A beauty.  There is a picture an old racer gave me.  It is a bike like yours running at the land speed trials on Daytona beach a looong time ago.  You are smart to not put a lot of work into the brackets until you figure out what you want to do.  Are your legs blocking the stacks?

A package with "Royal Mail" stamps all over it arrived today.  These three ignition modules are in it.  One is the Stage 3 curve I use now.  One is 2 degrees advanced from that.  It is Stage 4.  Another is 2 degrees advanced from that, and it is Stage 5.

One notices when they vary the ignition timing that there are a few settings several degrees apart that produce similar power.  The "advanced setting" happens when the piston is closer to TDC during the combustion peak pressure.  The wallop is greater but the rod big end is also closer to TDC and it is in a poor position to twist the crank.  The "retarded setting" occurs when the piston is a bit farther down in the bore.  The explosion is less intense and the combustion pressures are less.  The crank pin is in a better position to provide leverage.  The same driving force is produced as with the advanced setting.  The retarded setting is what I use and this allows me to haul-a without blowing the motor apart. 

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #1546 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:20 AM »
Hi Tom

The bars you see are the multi adjustable Tomasselli clipons, beautifully made. They can be moved to the position you show on your bike so I will give that a go on Saturday and see how it feels.

Thanks

Peter

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #1547 on: January 14, 2014, 03:41:54 AM »
Bo, not sure about the stacks but will also check that Saturday.
Cheers

Peter

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1548 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:28 AM »
There was a high-level project management team decision made last week.  Not sure about the details.  I wasn't there.  It looks like my job is to finish the shed.  The build will be dormant for awhile.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1549 on: January 21, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
It's that inspector in the foreground that shafted you for sure! :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1550 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:05 PM »
The building inspectors do not know about this.  It is a shed and just a few fractions of an inch under the size needing a permit.  Nobody involved with this job wanted to deal with them.  Most are reasonable.  There are one or two with bad attitude and we could not pick our inspector, so we avoided all.  The insides are fancier than allowed.  What happens behind closed doors is a private matter, according to the French, so we applied this reasoning here.

That is Buster the shop cat on mouse and bird watch and patrol.

Finishing this job is moving along quick.  Normally I am fussy about having everything in order when doing finish carpentry.  It takes a lot of time to do that.  I just remind myself the building is a shed and not the Taj Mahal.  Sorta close is good enough so the work gets done faster.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1551 on: January 28, 2014, 01:32:56 AM »
This little project is like Cheech and Chong launching a rocket to Mars.  I am in over my head.

The new Bonnevilles originally came with 790cc engines in 2001.  They had 9.1 to 1 compression and nice cams like to the left in the photo.  The engine was enlarged to 865cc in the late 2000's and the compression was maintained at 9.1 to 1.  Eventually they raised the compression in the 865cc engines to 10.1 to 1.  The added displacement was to compensate for the emissions cams.  One of them is that sad and pitiful thing to the right.

The new Triumph runs sort of OK.  It is pretty bland and the gas mileage is not good.  It is in the high thirties like my street/race engines.  The old 790 engine gave me better mileage so I asked myself "What if I put 790 cams in that 865 engine?"  It has more displacement and compression than the 790 motor.  Maybe it will go faster and get better fuel mileage.

The fellows in Dorset that reprogrammed my ignition modules make a map for the 790 cams in the 865 motor.  I ordered it with a USP driver cable.  Now I can get into the ignition box and reprogram it.  Changes had to be made to the bike so it would be like the one used to develop the map.  First, The glass pak mufflers I used at B'ville went on with some baffles to quiet them down.  Second, the noise reducing snorkel was taken out of the air box and it was replaced by this aluminum intake ring.  It is another part left over from earlier LSR efforts.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1552 on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:42 AM »
The third thing was to remove the internal baffle from the air box.  That was a big job.  Half the bike needed to be taken apart to get the air box in and out so I could remove it.  Next, the cams were swapped.  This pair of 790 knockers has only 600 miles on them.  They are like new and they were resting peacefully in the spare parts pile.

Now comes the hard part.  Installing the map.  This is not the hammer and screwdriver stuff I usually do.  There is a 1/4 inch tall pile of manuals and user instructions I read about 3 times each before I could get all the stuff I scrambled unscrambled.  Drivers, serial ports, etc. Finally I got everything working and found out I ordered the wrong map.  The Dorset folks sent me the right one and this morning and I loaded it in, fired up the bike, and rocketed off down the street.  Then it started to rain and I had to come back home.  The short test ride says there is less low end power, more mid range, and a lot more horses on top.  Perfect.  Just what I like.

There is more to be done.  I need to syncrhonize the throttle butterflies, adjust the throttle position sensor, and to figure out how to turn off the idiot light on the tach that says the engine management system is not working.  This experience will help the LSR program.  It is a fun way to learn.           

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1553 on: January 28, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »
So how many current Bonnies could you convert in a day.................??? 

If the word gets out, your new shop could get quite busy.  Maybe a source of funding???
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1554 on: January 28, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
I agree, Bo you could do some serious work there.

You know that Trump better than most. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1555 on: January 29, 2014, 02:42:31 AM »
Any plan that involves more work is best avoided.  One job is enough.  I need time to build the LSR bike.

Rose brought Werner down to Camp Pendleton and helped him get back to normal.  He had six or seven bones broken in his foot so he is on restricted duty while he finishes healing.   They are taking good care of him, according to Rose, so he is OK.  His deployment will be a WestPac cruise where he sails all around the Pacific visiting Okinawa, Australia, Thailand, Hawaii, etc.  This"tough duty" will give him time to fully recover.

His bike is wrecked.  They took off the head and cylinders and a few other parts and Rose packed them in her luggage.  She took the Starlight back to Oregon.  The porter picked up her suitcase and said "What the h___ do you have in here, bricks?"  Rose said "Just some motorcycle parts."  Now Team Go Dog, Go is in possession of an almost new Triumph top end.     

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1556 on: January 29, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »
Holy Cow, Bo, What happened?  I'm glad Werner is OK and will have time to recover while doing R&R, er, duty.  People just don't believe me when I tell them racing is safer than riding on the road.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline JimL

« Reply #1557 on: January 29, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
Bo, worst pain you ever feel is when your kids or wife crash.  I've followed those ambulances when the boys took the rides into a hospital from tracks, and carried my first wife into a hospital after she crashed in a TT event.

We've all loved the bikes, and they all still ride, but its not always a free ride.  I hope you all get healed real well,  body and souls.

Best wishes, JimL

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #1558 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
Are you using TuneECU? Been using that on my Triumphs for several years now. What map? If you need any pointers give me a ring. 707 548-7906. I do have a dyno shop,BTW-------in Norcal.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1559 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
Finding a suitable rider for the rocket backpack powered Triumph is a challenge.  The search is over... 

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-259510029