Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438058 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1530 on: January 02, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
Looking good Bo

Had you thought of running your rear brake from your front brake lever?
Instinct will have your hand go there to stop, the other bonus is when your wheeling your bike around by hand you still have a functioning brake you can get to easily, great for loading and unloading etc.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1531 on: January 03, 2014, 12:18:49 AM »
Jon, the rear brake will be modified this year.  I will look at that option.

A lot of this work is not needed.  Yesterday when I was putting the parts on the bike I noticed the 2003 790cc parts I was taking off were slightly different than the Thruxton parts I was looking at when I made this setup.  Both were carburetor bikes.  The differences were minor but they were there, the location of the breather, how the gas cap works, etc.

Today after work Rose and me made a flow test with the 790cc gas cap on the bike.  The flow was unchanged.  Then I put on the 790cc breather hose instead of my modified breather.  We made another test and flow was unchanged.  I might keep the system on 'cause it is fire resistant.  I do not need the extra venting to give fuel flow.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1532 on: January 05, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
The fuel vent system I made is a first attempt at doing something I have not done before.  It is mickey-mouse.  Those tethers will pull the valves shut if I fall off at just the correct angle to pull them back.  Good luck with this.  We cannot script and choreograph our get offs.

My plan is to remove the vent shutoff lever and tether.  The Pingel shutoff valve will remain.  I will manually turn it on before the run at the same time I turn on the fuel.  This tip over valve will be installed in the vent line to close it.  This is something I found on a website for F1 car fuel systems.

The tank will be sealed when the fuel petcock and vent shutoff cocks are closed.  This in-line pressure release valve will be used to keep internal tank pressure under control and to keep the volatiles from evaporating out of the fuel and going out the vent line.

Is there some sort of tip over valve that will work in a gravity fuel line?  All of the ones I find on the I-net are for vent lines.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1533 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »
The carriage shed is the biggest allowed by the local building code.  The small offset doors meets the code.  These buildings are meant to be sheds, not garages.  The inside lighting, outlets, and insulation is in excess of code allowances.  The dang possums sneak in here at night and do this.  They are small but there are lots of them so they can do big work.  There are a lot of these sheds around here and some have the old style carriage doors from early last century.

There is a loft in the back top with a window and railing.  It is sorta like a "fun room" in Hefner's Playboy Mansion.  The main users will be the grand kids so the stairs are close together for little legs and feet to climb.  Below that is a shelf to store the race gas, floor jacks, and other items for working on things.  There is a 220V outlet for a welder.  The lights are ex pool table and the small side door was once on a Works Progress Administration snow chalet near Mount Hood.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1534 on: January 09, 2014, 12:29:01 AM »
A few more pictures.  It is not finished yet.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1535 on: January 09, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »
Nice setup Bo. Your Rose is a precious lady!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1536 on: January 09, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »
I agree. It's great.

:cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1537 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »
Bo, you win the "Granpa's thinking of us little kids" for putting the stair lifts close together.  I don't think I would have thought of that detail -- but it's marvelous. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1538 on: January 09, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
The carpenters came up with the stairs for kids idea, Slim.  My knuckle dragger mind did notta thunk it.

The Triumph has a tank vent valve and a tipover valve from the factory.  They have enough capacity for the standard bike or a moderately hopped up one, plus, the tipover valve is plastic.  There might not be enough flow capacity for what I am doing and I want metal fire resistant ones.

These are metal valves made by Newton in London www.newtn-equipment.com  They are small and just right for a bike although some are recommended for F1.  They were bought from Fuel Safe here in America www.fuelsafe.com

The little guy is a TRL7 in-line tipover valve.  Air can be pulled into the system through it or expelled out if the valve is nearly vertical.  The valve shuts if it is tipped to the side and liquid tries to pass out through it.  This will keep fuel from flowing out of the vent in a tipover.

The big fellow is a TPV8 tank vent pressure release valve.  It allows air to go into the tank if internal pressure drops down to less than 0.08 psi below atmospheric.  This lets air in as the fuel level drops or the fuel cools and shrinks.  The valve lets vapor out if the tank pressure is more than 0.725 psi above atmospheric.  This keeps the fumes in the tank and it releases them if there is substantial internal pressure, only.

There is some debate if a gravity flow fuel system should pull against any valve, even one as soft as this.  The tank vent valve will be bypassed during racing.  The vent will be open to the atmosphere.  ERC recommends this.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1539 on: January 13, 2014, 01:07:22 AM »
Work is seasonal here.  Deep winter is when I order parts and machine new things.  Sometime in mid February it gets warm, dry, and light enough to go out and do serious work on the bike.  That changed today.  I was given the key to the shed.  Now I can work on the bike in mid-winter.  There is some painting and cleanup to do before the shed is completely done.

One of the first jobs after I get the bike inside is to put on these two longer foot peg brackets.  They move my feet back 4.25 inches from where they were with the old brackets.  Getting my feet back will help me to tuck down on the tank.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1540 on: January 13, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »
I can't say I've ever experienced seasonal work but I understand.

Nice pieces Bo.

I'm sure that extra distance will help you getting down low. :cheers:

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #1541 on: January 13, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »
Hi Bo

I just started work on my footpegs too, now back a further 4" or so, just a temporary steel bracket for now to test in various positions for comfort, but already easier to lie down flatter than before.

Peter

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1542 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Put you leathers, riding boots and helmet on to test the fit...

Don't ask how I know  :?
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #1543 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
;-)

I'll do that.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1544 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Hi Bo

I just started work on my footpegs too, now back a further 4" or so, just a temporary steel bracket for now to test in various positions for comfort, but already easier to lie down flatter than before.

Peter

Peter,
Not our thread, but you look uncomfortable.  I found that downward turned handlebars are much more comfortable.  I used standard clip on mounts, but used cut-off Honda cb350 bars to achieve this.  I had to pin the bars to the mounts to keep them from rotating; otherwise, cheap bars.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!