Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438037 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1515 on: December 25, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
Bo, that looks suspiciously like a doghouse/spare room for when you've forgot an anniversary or something.  That fold down table would support a sleeping bag and you, right? :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1516 on: December 25, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »
Awesome looking shop Bo. That should automatically add a few mph to the bike.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1517 on: December 25, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »
It looks great.

Methinks Rose should use her talents for something on the two wheeled side. :-D :-D

Are those electrical sockets all around the walls?.

That is a building job of note. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1518 on: December 26, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
Slim, there is no need to sleep on the bike bench.  It has 220V and 110V, and it will have a small loft with a bed and a cooler.  I got the idea from Lars.  Right now in the house there is a golden retriever, my son in law, two of my daughters, my youngest son, Rose and me, four parakeets and three cats.  Rose will move into the shed if I do not fill it with bikes.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1519 on: December 27, 2013, 09:50:10 PM »
The Parker 221 FR fire resistant hose has thick walls and the availability of AN connectors is limited.  The need to use a salt resistant material such as brass further reduces the choices.  Connectors are available.  My advice is to make a complete parts list of what you will need and to check all of the component prices.  Do this before you make the decision to use this hose with AN fittings.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1520 on: December 29, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
There are three AN connection types to fit these hoses, one is kind crimped and the other two styles are "field connectors" that thread on to the ends of the hoses.  Only one type of connector is brass rather than galvanized and it is a field one.  I was quoted 30+ dollars for a male connection and 70+ dollars for a female swivel end.  AN connectors are too expensive.  The much more readily available and less expensive connectors with 45 degree seats are used.  Hose end covers are from our local speed shop.  These two changes brought the cost of this breather setup down from insane to expensive.

The first picture shows the gas cap.  This cap was valved for pressure release, only, as set up by Triumph.  Now it breathes both ways.  The second picture shows the three way tee.  One quarter inch line comes from the gas cap on the left and another quarter inch line from the standard tank vent comes in from below.  The line to the right is 5/16 inch and it goes to the vent end.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1521 on: December 29, 2013, 01:15:12 AM »
The advice I get is to run with a full tank to maximize fuel flow out of the petcock.  There will be a lot of fuel going out of the breather if I go down.  This is a big fire danger.

The vent end goes into a Pingel Guzzler fuel valve that is threaded into an aluminum tube.  The end mounts between where the speedo and tach were on the street setup.  This is shown in the first picture.

The petcock is operated by a cable and a lever on the handlebar as shown in the second picture.  The tether pulls the lever to the "valve closed" position if I come off of the bike.  This setup is not required by safety regs.  It is something extra I am doing.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1522 on: December 29, 2013, 01:24:17 AM »
Extra is good. You all advised that overkill is your friend.
Smart move Bo. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1523 on: January 01, 2014, 01:19:38 AM »
The Pingel remote guzzler is turned on by twisting the valve knob by hand like a normal petcock.  It cannot be turned off the same way.  Instead, a lever on the bars is turned, this pulls a Bowden cable, the cable pulls a pin, this releases the spring loaded fuel valve, and it shuts.

The lever comes with clamps for 7/8-inch handlebar.  The Triumph one is 1 inch diameter.  In addition, there is nowhere near the throttle to mount the levers on the bars.  I would need to make room by sawing off the brake master cylinder from the throttle.  Sometime in the future I might need a front brake so disabling it is not a good idea.  A solution is to make a big and flat brake master cylinder cover.  The levers are mounted to it as shown.  Now, the levers are easy to operate with my hand on the bars and I can keep my front brake cylinder.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1524 on: January 01, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »
Happy New Year.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1525 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »
Happy new year to you, Freud, and all of the rest of you.  We will be at the reunion this year. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1526 on: January 01, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »
This system uses the fire resistant marine lines by Parker.  The first picture shows the line under the tank for the standard Triumph tank breather.  Writing on the line says to use crimp fittings on the ends.  This is needed to meet ISO standards.  The Parker field connectors or the clamps I am using meet wobblywalrus standards and not the ISO.

The second picture shows the connection where the standard Triumph breather connects to the rest of the system.  It is not necessary to use fire resistant hose for breathers.

The third picture shows the petcock.  It is turned on by hand and turned off by the lever attached to the Bowden cable.  There is a satisfying "thunk" sound when the spring loaded valve closes.  This cock is needed to meet DLRA regs which say "Fuel motorcycles shall have a fuel shut-off operable without moving the hands from the handlebar grips."     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1527 on: January 01, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »
This picture shows the breather end and the guzzler valve attached to it.  This shuts of the breathers.  It is operated by a tether if I fall off or by the lever if I am on the bike.

This next picture shows the breather line between the gas cap and the rest of the system. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1528 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
The levers are shown in this photo.  The one controlling the fuel shutoff I can reach up and flick back with my hand on the handlebar.  The other one is for the tank vent shut off.  I can reach it easily but my hand if off the bar a little bit.

A short section of fuel line was stuck on and we made a flow test with a full tank of gas.  The fellow who is helping me says to always run with a full tank as much as possible to maximize fuel flow.  I held a big can under the hose end and Rosie timed how long it took to fill the can.  The flow was 121.6 ounces in 1 minute 15 seconds.  This is 45.6 gallons per hour and far more than the standard system.  I wish I could pee like that.

The brake specific fuel consumption is 0.5 pounds gasoline per horsepower-hour.  I am told to assume 15 percent more fuel consumption with this oxygenated gasoline.  Also, the 0.5 use rate is based on automotive engine dyno work and I have a bike.  A 0.90 conversion factor is needed to reflect bike chassis dyno numbers.  The BSF for this fuel on this bike is expected to be 0.639 pounds per horsepower-hour.

A horsepower to fuel flow rate formula is in Baechtel's "Performance Automotive Engine Math."  The flow at the hose end feeding the carb will support 435 horsepower.  This will be enough for turbo and NA applications.  Now the remaining task is to verify the flow through the float valves is adequate.         

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #1529 on: January 01, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
Good ideas there Wobbly, and a photo is worth a thousand words.
I'd like to see other photos on the same subject of the manual shutoff used in conjunction with the
tether shutoff. I don't have a Guzzler with a cable but one similar which is mounted on the Hilborn pump.
John