Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1443449 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1470 on: November 27, 2013, 01:39:21 AM »
The predators arrived today.  They are the megaphone shaped mufflers.  The sleepers are the other ones and I have been using them.  Both are straight through glass-packs regardless of their shapes.  Two Triumph tuners on either side of the Atlantic recommended these predators over the sleepers.  Interesting.  The sleeper's tuned lengths are better matches to PipeMax recommendations and the holes through the middle are 12 percent bigger than the predator's.  The sleepers should work better in theory.  A comparison needs to be made on the dyno.   

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #1471 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »
back in the day, early to mid seventies, i ran a set of Dunstall mufflers on my 71 Bonneville, not only did that sound good, thay also improved performance a little,,, a friend of mine also had a set on his XS650 Yamaha, thay really improved the performance on that piece,, not sure if the Dunstalls are still avilable,,, also, just remembered, a mate had a set on his T150 Trident, now that thing sounded so sweet when it was up in the revs,, 8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1472 on: November 27, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Bo, does the glass affect the performance in any way?.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1473 on: November 27, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »
Stay-tee, the Dunstalls gave me good results in the past on my BSA.  I am not sure if they make mufflers for the modern Triumphs.  To the best of my knowledge, Paul Dunstall went on to become a successful real estate developer.  I am not sure if I could get any Dunstall mufflers now.

Mike, I really do not know.  I cannot afford to do comparison testing so I rely on advice from trusted experts.  Two recommend the predators.  In the past I have got some big numbers and nice looking torque and power curves with an "H" system and predator style glass-paks.  Their recommendation does not seem to be unreasonable.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1474 on: November 28, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
A asked because we used to play around with pipes. It wasn't a scientific project so there was no way of measuring performance gains. are there SCTA rules on noise levels or are exhausts open?.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1475 on: November 28, 2013, 01:08:07 AM »
No sound rules at BUB.  Not sure about the SCTA.  In the past I have run open ended "straight pipes."  The power was great when the resonance was right or lousy when it wasn't.  This made the bike hard to ride and unpleasantly loud.  The glass-paks act like megaphones.  They soften up the peaks and valleys so the bike is easier to ride and less obnoxious.     

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #1476 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:49 AM »
just done a quick google search and theres plenty Dunstall replicas for sale on ebay, :-)

sorry Wobbly, i realize you are going with the mufflers you have, and im following this thread with interest,, i guess im just reminisceing a little about the Dunstalls,, as you were mate,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1477 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
No SCTA sound level/exhaust noise rules as far as I know.  And the bike I ran at SpeedWeek last August would likely have been over the limit if there had been any rules.  It's pretty loud, especially compared to many of the other metric 4-cyl bikes.  There are lots of bikes running straight open pipes, some using a bit or more of nitro (which adds another distinctive bit of quality to the noise).  And they aren't forced to quiet down.

Nope - no noise rules out on the salt.  If there were -- I don't think you'd ever see a rotary engine running out there. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1478 on: November 28, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
 :-D I raced F2 cars in the 80s and we used the 12A Peripheral port motors. Fans used to get off the grandstands and run. :lol:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1479 on: November 28, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
It was time to reach up into the top tray for some fresh flashlight batteries.  A bad idea.  It was best to look for the batteries somewhere else.     

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #1480 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50:02 PM »
Bo, a little off topic, but I stumbled upon  this video, it will get you in the mood for your visit in 2015, and warm your toes.
Although it contains some racing (including a later model Triumph Bonneville) the video has a lot of the drive to the lake, the basic camping at the saltbush camp (closer than the DLRA camp, which has great showers , toilets, and limited 240 volt (yup, mains power is 240 V in OZ) power supply, cool rooms, a few semi permanent members quarters , a sheep shearing shed, and MORE dust)
The only thing it cant prepare you for is the heat (you will get used to the taste of flies quickly)

http://youtu.be/i3BAvYxESyM

Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1481 on: December 02, 2013, 12:46:39 AM »
Thanks for posting the video.  You guys and gals are tough hombres.  Here in Oregon we have mosquitos, no-see-ums, and biting flies.  What I have found is, if I can keep them off my face, life is a lot less miserable.  I will bring my bug hat.  It is a simple brimmed hat with a net veil that hangs down on to my shoulders.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1482 on: December 02, 2013, 07:38:14 AM »
  Here in Oregon we have mosquitos, no-see-ums, and biting flies. 

Sounds like home (Nova Scotia).  These flystrips for your hat from Lee Valley Tools do a good job on the deer flies.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1483 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
Geez, I'll never complain again. :-D

Offline salt27

« Reply #1484 on: December 02, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
Tiny, I sure enjoyed that video.   :cheers:

I was told by Dr. Goggles how long and treacherous the trip to lake Gairdner is.

Well, I timed it and it only took two minutes.  :roll:

Thanks, Don