Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438562 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1395 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Bo,
I've been to Hood River with the hopes of windsurfing back in the 90s when it was the place to go for that sport.  That being said, the wind blows with regularity.  Good luck to Rose and pray for no wind!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1396 on: September 29, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
It is part of a big organized swim.  People are there to fish her out if anything happens.  There are massive sturgeons in there.  Any water with fish in it bigger than me is scary and I do not want to go in.  Watching from the shore is my job.  The wind might make things harder.  I hope she knows what she is doing.

The bottom of the front fairing got crunched when I had an accident while fitting the bike to the crate.  It is fixed now and I am reading all of the partial streamline rules for the FIM and DLRA.  AMA is out of the question.  I will need to hack up the tail streamlining to meet MPS rules, the 1000cc MPS-AF record is 219, and the 1000cc MPS-AG record is 208.  No hope for me there and I will not run AMA.  The streamlining is built to conform to FIM and A class in DLRA.  The rules have not changed so I am OK for now.

The DLRA partial streamline rules have pretty much the same language as the controversial AMA APS ones.  They are exactly the same by saying the A class is for purpose built bikes.  I will write them and verify that a bike with a standard OEM frame and lengthened swing arm is OK for that class.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1397 on: September 30, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Lately I am busy convincing myself that I do not know what I am doing.  There is a fellow at BUB who's bike is about 100 mph faster than mine and he has the same short wheel base configuration.  The bike was rolled over so he could see it and I asked for help.

One problem I have is the front of the fairing has a rounded surface that will catch air and give uplift.  This is not good.  It is being reshaped so the air in front of it is pushed to the sides rather than down in front of the engine.  The curved bar shows its before shape and the angular bar is the after.  The windshield is to the lower right in the picture and the bottom of the fairing is on the lower left.

One principle of aerodynamics is to avoid or minimize accelerating the air.  This takes energy and acceleration is changing air velocity or direction of movement.  The way I had it set up the air in front of the lower nose was redirected downward, then toward the engine, then through the big hole in the fairing, then around all sorts of stuff, then out.  That is a lot of directional changes.  Now the air is shoved over to the side and that is all.  It is less of what we call "directional acceleration."

Offline Freud

« Reply #1398 on: September 30, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
Easier to see.

To bad we can't build the changes as easily.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1399 on: October 02, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
I think your onto something good......................moving more air to the sides and over the top effectively removes excess air from compressing against the salt.....which creates LIFT.  At higher speeds the lift of just meeting the air at the front must be controlled. Bill Warner commented (complained) that he had trouble keeping the front-end down when approaching 300 mph. There is a lesson to be learned.

As you increase your speed, the air at the rear must also be directed to avoid LIFT. Someone a lot smarter than me once said something about every action has an opposite and equal reaction...............so when your going down the highway of speed, think about how the air will react to being hit with your speeding bullet.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1400 on: October 03, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »
Thanks, Freud, for enlightening the subject.  Some day I might put some mirrors on the ceiling to catch the light and reflect it back down onto the work.  That will make it brighter.

Dennis, these bikes have a rearward weight bias from the factory and it has been a battle to keep enough weight on the front.  You are right by saying the weight distribution shifts to the rear at speed.  These changes should help a little bit.

Alcohol burns cooler and there is not as much of a need for an air opening in front of the engine as with a gasoline motor.  One thing I am considering is burning some sort of alcohol mix, lowering the bike, and blending the nose streamlining in with the front fender.  This will give me a slick shape with little uplift.  There will be less airflow to the engine and this should not be a problem with alky.  There is a lot of work associated with this and it is something I will do after AUS.     

Offline Freud

« Reply #1401 on: October 03, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
No mirrors on the ceiling Bo.

Just use a tripod and no flash.

Everything will be illuminated evenly.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1402 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »
What I think you are saying is to put the camera on a tripod and to use a slow shutter speed to let in more light.  Sort of the same as with astronomy photos?

Offline Freud

« Reply #1403 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »
Exactly.

It wlll have even illumination in the entire foto.

It doesn't matter if the shutter is open for several seconds.

Nothing is going to move.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1404 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:57 AM »
In the past I have been using fully synthetic race oil.  It is expensive and I am looking at ways to save $.  The bike has a naturally aspirated flat tappet engine with less than 100 horsepower per liter.  Is semi-synthetic a good option, and specifically, the Silkolene Comp 4?  I can get a good price on the stuff.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1405 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
Our 2013 team picture.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1406 on: October 11, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
Any oil is better than no oil.................light-weight oil is usually best for short-term, high-performance runs.  But you may have to change more often.  I use 5w-20w synthetic ............but after only a few runs on virtually new internals (crankcase only - no tranny or primary & clutch) it turned dark and cloudy....had a few ounces of 15-40w Shell Rotella remaining from initial break-in.

I have used Castrol blended in my street bikes with good success.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1407 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »
Thanks, Dennis, for the info.  I will do the same thing.  Synthetic for the race bike and semi-syn for the street scoot.

The tech expert at Silkolene wrote me.  The higher ester content in the Pro grade fully synthetic will give me some extra engine protection.  He also said I will get a little more power with the Pro grade.

A picture from the very early morning.  Note how the light is so much better.  It was taken with an i-phone.  I sure wish it was with an actual camera so I could get a good quality enlargement.  Photo credit to Gretchen.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1408 on: October 13, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
Two turbos are offered to me at no cost.  This catches me by surprise and I have no idea if they will work.  All of the books I find are for cars and not bikes.  Is there a good reference to give me the info I need to figure out if they will be the right size?

Offline Jon

« Reply #1409 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
Compressor maps and a couple formulas will tell you the story Bo.
http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/compressor_maps

If you are running into detonation issues now with pretty mild compression it will need to be low to handle boost without backing the timing out a heap.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3