Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438352 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1305 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »
This Saturday, between 10 and 3, the Triumph will be on display at Cascade Moto Classics, 13705 Farmington Road, Beaverton, Oregon, 9705 (503) 574-3353.  I will be there to answer LSR questions.  The bike is 75% done.  The tasks remaining are not cosmetic so it will look like it does when it is raced.

The bike is coming together OK, sort of.  I did major work on all sorts of things and they fit good on the street version of the bike.  Unfortunately, they were not all on the bike at the same time or on it when it is in racing trim.  I am having to remake some stuff so everything will work together.  Also, I am serious about getting more speed and it will be hard without a lot more power.  I need to make sure all of the little details are correct such as gearing, jetting, etc. 

It looks like the Triumph streamliner will be running at BUB and it will be in the same class as BUB 7.  Hopefully they will let me set up in the factory pits like last year.  This could be interesting.  I will take pictures.   

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1306 on: August 17, 2013, 04:32:56 AM »
I probably wont make it
G :cheers:
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1307 on: August 17, 2013, 11:48:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that Grumm.  We were looking forward to seeing you.  I guess we will meet in AUS in 2015.

The exhibit went well today.  Lots of interest in LSR and quite a few from the Triumph club will be at BUB and one fellow will be a volunteer.

These are the jetting calcs.  The sensitivity analysis says it won't hurt power to run a little on the rich side so that is the plan.  The bike was jetted on Sunoco Standard, a 110 octane leaded, and it is similar to ERC-110K.  I do not need to change the jetting to account for differences between the two fuels.  Knowing this is the big benefit it from all of that gasoline research I did during the off season.

The Triumph liner with Jason DiSalvo as the pilot will run in AMA with one Rocket III motor.  It will run in FIM with 2 rocket motors.  There are a bunch of Brough Superiors running. The name Brough is said like "Bruff."

The BUB meet is pretty low key compared to speedweek.  It is basically a bunch of bike guys and gals having fun.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1308 on: August 18, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
The dyno has a little fan and it makes a nice breeze over the engine and exhaust system and it is nothing like the hurricane force winds that occur on the front of the motor and headers during a run at B'ville.  The greater the wind, the more it cools the pipes, is a general rule.

Sonic waves in cooler exhaust gas travel slower and this is shown on the attached graph.  These slower waves take longer to travel a distance and this changes the exhaust tuning.  Let's say the wave speed is slowed 10 percent.  The tuned length is increased 10 percent as a result.  We use Pipe Max to figure out the optimum RPM for that tuned length and it is a lower rpm.

The torque curve for my bike shows that the last thing I need is the torque peak occurring at a lower rpm.  The pipes are wrapped to keep them nice and warm during the cyclonic climate of a run.  The pipes are wrapped where they are exposed to the big winds, only.

The new version of Pipe Max has a bunch of features to account for variations in exhaust gas temperatures.  This was a weak point in the previous versions and it is corrected.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1309 on: August 20, 2013, 01:43:35 AM »
The knocklight has a little brain that calibrates it when the engine is started.  It programs itself to ignore normal engine noises.  It glows green when there is nothing unusual.  A change in engine sound like preignition or detonation will make it glow red.  Rubbing an aluminum tire iron across the cylinder fins is causing the red glow in the photo.  My hope is it will tell me if something starts to rattle in the engine during a run.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #1310 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »
How deep is the sensor? As you know, the top end on these sings a tune when working them.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1311 on: August 22, 2013, 01:40:18 AM »
The sensor is on the side of the block.  Surface mounted and not deep.  Heck, I can show it to you next week.  My engine is real noisy.  Somehow it picks up unusual noises like the clatter when I miss a shift.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1312 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »
Taping the front rim was the last job.  The old girl is ready to go.

Matt Capri will be at BUB.  I will show him the dyno curve and get his advice.  There might be some engine work in the winter of 2014 if I can find the $ somewhere.  Some small streamlining improvements are expected in winter 2014, too.  Otherwise, the bike is just like it will be in AUS in 2015.

Record chasing is in my past now.  The goal is to get to 150 mph.  Maybe I can do it this year.  My next posts will be from Wendover.  It is time to get some sleep.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1313 on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
A trailer leaf spring broke in Button Point, NV.  Fortunately there is an old abandoned house there, some fences, and roadside trash.  A repair was made with old house wood, fence wire, and a beer can.  We are in Wendover KOA now.  This morning I will order a pair of springs and some shackle bolts over the e-net.  Then we will go onto the lake.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1314 on: August 26, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Was the a lady at the ranch like when Burt Munro broke his trailer?

That was the most true to life part of the movie.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #1315 on: August 27, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
Met up with Bo today, he is doing well. Doing some gearing changes as I came by. Bike sounded strong and he is getting some good seat time, took me three days to find him!   
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1316 on: August 28, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
Freud, I thought about the horny ranch lady when this happened.  There are ladies on ranches around here and they are paid professionals.  Considering I am in enough trouble as it is, I am staying away from those gals.

Late Monday I reserved a spot on Tuesday where I would be one of the first to leave in the morning.  We got up early and were on the lake at the donkey crack of dawn.  I was ready to go when I noticed the fuel leak.  I had to make a fuel cock gasket and my first run was at 11:38 AM.  It was pretty hot and breezy.  Time was 138.998 in the kilo and 138.967 in the mile.  The bike handled pretty good considering the side winds.  There was a small amount of wiggling in a few soft spots.  The runs were done with the 36-tooth rear sprocket.  This kept the r's low 'cause it is the first run on the new motor.

Sometime Tuesday afternoon I realized that I forgot to tighten down the steering damper.  It was not working during the first run.  I tightened it and changed to a 38-tooth rear to let the engine rev.  We got there on Wednesday morning at the crack of dawn and ran at 11:00.  It was hot.  I ran the engine up to 8,000 in fourth and made a quick shift into fifth.  Time was 140.671 in the kilo and 138.112 in the mile.  The bike handled great.  No problems.  Any advice on the big difference in kilo and mile times is welcome.

In the distance we saw a big black wall of rain approaching.  It was time to leave.  We broke camp, tossed everything into the truck and got the heck out of there .  We were 1/2 of the way to the boat ramp when the monsoon hit.  It was bad, very bad.  Gretchen was driving.  She will remember this for a long time.

The cylinder are oiled up on Bonnie, the chain is pulled off and washed, and the bike is ready to go home.  Tomorrow Gretchen and I will go out to the frontage road between Wendover and the potash plant.  She will learn how to shift the truck from second gear to third.  I will fix the trailer in the afternoon.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1317 on: August 29, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
The modern world sure has a lot less suspense.  The springs are crossing the country from somewhere in the Midwest and they arrived at Elko at 7AM this morning.  They should be here in Wendover this afternoon.  I can track them on the e-net.  Amazing stuff, this is.

This morning I did the math on the two runs.  Like Ed (Ridgerunner) said it would do, the additional power at higher midrange rpm helped.  It did everything, to be exact.  This is the first time I had the new streamlining on the 5-mile course.  It is as efficient as the old streamlining, performance wise.  It did not help me or hurt me.  I know what I need to do to it and I will do it this winter.

Peterdallen and Old Scrambler set records.  They might have something on their build diaries.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1318 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Two years ago I was at 132 mph and I need 160 mph to get my old FIM record.  I needed 28 mph.  This year I got just over 140 in the kilo and now I need 20 mph.  I did the best I could with 2 years of solid and hard work.  A more realistic goal is 150 mph and getting into the DLRA 150 club.  I might be able to do this with another year of work.  The 1000 cc class is very competitive and a family guy with a union worker paycheck and an air cooled twin is doomed.  Benchmark speeds are a much better target.  On the bright side, I learned a lot.  Like Bruce Hornsby sings, "There will be some changes made."

The trailer is fixed and we are heading out.  The meet was great.  The chance to compete on a well prepared and safe track on the national and international levels is fantastic.  The last run I made was on a tight dry track with no crosswind.  It does not get any better.  Everyone did a great job.  The chance to meet new and old friends and chitchat is priceless, too.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1319 on: September 01, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
My plan to watch the action from inside the factory Triumph pits did not go as planned.  There was no room for me in there.  I set up across the street next to Baron's Speed Shop and Peter D. Allen from London.  They had a Union Jack hoisted up on a flag pole.  This helped me find my pit.  I just looked for the UK flag.

The issue of Classic Bike Guide on our news stands shows a Baron's Triumph with a red and white tank.  The one they brought is different and it will be covered in the next two issues.  It is a pre-unit Triumph with Amal carbs.  They had huge remote float bowls.  This is needed to give the needed fuel flow capacity for methanol.  This got me interested.

Previous theoretical work I have done on nitrous and nitropropane say these fuels burn too hot for these air cooled engines.  Old-timers on the salt tell me that methanol burns cooler and is very forgiving.  Watching Baron's with their Triumph and some PM's that expert folks have sent has given me a big plan, as follows.

Step 1)  Find a slightly wilder cam to work with the gasoline powered NA setup I have before I go to AUS.  This, and some streamlining changes will get me closer to 150 mph.

Step 2)  After AUS, buy another street bike so I can dedicate the Triumph to racing, only.

Step 3)  Put a turbo on the Bonnie and figure out how to run it on race gasoline.  Triumph Performance knows all about how to do this.

Step 4)  Reconfigure it to run on methanol with higher compression.

This will keep me busy and broke for the remainder of my racing career.