Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1442871 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1200 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
Now that's INSANE!!!   :-o :-o :roll:

Pete

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1201 on: May 23, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »
I almost think that bike wouldn't pass tech.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1202 on: May 25, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »
Another one for you car guys.  www.bbc.co/news/world-middle-east-22664659

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1203 on: May 25, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »
On the subject of unrelated topics, here is something that happened today in the woods.  We are preparing for a race.  The money from the ATV funds helps us to do this.  In the old days we did this with hand labor.  The ATV money allows us to buy and rent some fun tools like this little gem.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1204 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:08 PM »
Slight correction with the link.  :-D :-D :-D

www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-22664659

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1205 on: May 26, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »
Thanks Peter.  Some motor head has infiltrated the BBC and is posting this stuff.  Stan can take his roadster to BUB if he figures out how to drive like those guys in Arabia.

We are fixing the trails up for the annual event.  This is BLM and State Forest land and we work out with them what we will do and they tell us all about the environmental and other requirements.  Filling up mud holes is a big deal.  Machinery and manual labor does the job.    

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1206 on: May 26, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
The sledge is the main tool for prepping the salt.  Chain saws are the big thing here.  Most of us have our own "pet" saw.  Mine is a heavy old Homelite.  This is another big saw.  The little guy is used to trim off the limbs that hang down onto the trail.  We call them face slappers.  A pre-codger fellow sleeps good after a day of this.  Rigor mortis sets in during the night and it is hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1207 on: May 31, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
Rose left for a trip to visit her relatives and I have been on my own for a few days.  I get up in the morning, work on the bike, go to work, come home, and work on it until dark.  Its all of those mundane little details that have me busy.  Brackets, wiring, making spacers, etc.  Nothing glamorous enough to post.  The engine assembly is waiting until I get four little o-rings in the mail. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1208 on: May 31, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »
Bo, it's always interesting reading your posts. Thanks man. I'm also on my own this week and doing the same as you. Haven't showered or shaved for a week and I stink but there's no one here to smell me. The Jack Russels seem to love me more though. Sleeping in one's clothes isn't a great idea but I'm on it and need to get the work out. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1209 on: May 31, 2013, 11:06:58 PM »
I know Mike, sometimes a person needs to focus.  It gives us more time to be with our wives when they are around.

Building anything in this remote backwater is a challenge.  All I needed was a 1/8-inch american standard pipe thread die.  Calls went out to six or seven places around town.  None had one.  I would need to order it.  This was bad news.  I need to get this bike together fast so I can break it in and do the dyno work before BUB.  There is this old hardware store downtown that has been in business since the 1920's.  I do not go there much.  It is pretty funky.  It is the last hope so I take a long morning coffee break and drive down there.  The bright eyed young fellow minding the store brings me over to the tap and die section.  He glances down and looks at the display and says "we don't have any."  His boss comes by and says "look in the back where we keep the pipe fittings.  There might be one there."  The kid comes back and says "none there."

Then I think "this is like where I work."  Only half the stuff is where it is supposed to be filed.  About half of the missing half is sorta close to it in the file cabinet.  So I start to paw around in the adjacent drawers and bins.  About six or eight taps and dies are misplaced.  Then I finger around in the dark recesses of the back of a lower shelf.  Something round like a tap is hiding back there.  I pull it out and bingo, there it is.  The guy only charged me $4.  Life is good. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1210 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
If it had been there long enough, it might even had been made in the USA!
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1211 on: June 01, 2013, 03:06:48 AM »
Hey Bo
I get to work on all sorts of bikes because I'm one of the few guys around who does wiring on old bikes
A couple of weeks ago I rewired a Vincent for a guy. It got a new Alton alternator, regulator, electric start, and an electronic ignition to replace a tired old magneto.
He was fairly happy with the job and the price, so he rings me last week to ask if I would come to another bike shop and wire his Vincati
Basically, a Vincent motor built with all new cases heads and barrels in a Ducati 750GT frame.
So on Friday I went over and wired up this bike. Nice looking thing, and the guy who's shop it's at has done a couple of these that I have also wired. I'm surrounded by Indians, Vincents, Velocettes and Triumphs. We get to talking and he mentions he has an Indian with an early Harley motor.
So he takes me out the back for a look, and sitting next to it is an Indian with a Vincent motor. So I tell him that I read some stuff  that you posted a while ago about this particular bike.
At which point he lets me know "it's a replica", he than pulls the sheet off the bike parked next to it and says "of this."

I'll try to get pictures
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1212 on: June 01, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
Bo, those Bingo moments are great especially when your choice of suppliers is limited. Same here and because it's old or not popular you get it cheap. That find sure saved you a lot of headaches. You'd do well over here!. :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1213 on: June 03, 2013, 01:05:28 AM »
I know what you mean, Mike.  Sometimes it is time to learn something and there is no one there to teach us except us, and we don't know how to do it.  The university of trail and error, it is.  One of the fastest cars ever was built on a ranch in Montana.  It is a handicap that folks overcome.

Werner is coming back from boot camp on leave next week and my job is to get the extra bike running.  It is a late model Yamaha.  We ride up in the mountains around 6,000 feet elevation and it runs a bit rich with the standard jetting.  So I needed one size smaller main jet.  The local Yamaha shop is in a nearby town and they told me I will need to order it.  The big Yamaha shop in Portland said the same thing.  In the old days shops carried all sorts of jets.  No more.

This need to order everything is getting to be irritating.  It was time to learn how to make a main jet.  Experience with orifi at work tells me the diameter, length, surface finish, and edge configuration i.e. sharp or round, are all important.  The first two jets I screwed up.  The third jet turned out OK.  It is just the right size.  It is the middle one in the picture.  The other ones are Yamaha jets that are one size bigger and smaller.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1214 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
Do you flow your newly made jet and compare it to the others??

FREUD
Since '63