Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437961 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1170 on: April 30, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
One thing to think seriously about on a new build is tire size.  The Triumph originally has 100/90 - 19 and 130/80 - 17 tires, front and rear.  It was no problem to find H-rated tires that are good to 130 mph.  Faster tires were not available in those sizes so I had to change them to go over 130.  I have a V-rated 110/80 - 19 on the front and a ZR rated 150/70 - 17 on the back now.  The v-rated tire is good for 150 and I plan to go faster than this.  New tires are in order.

Lots of hours on the computer say there is one and only one Z-rated front tire that will fit, a Bridgestone Battle Axe 110/80 - 19.  I like to run tires on both ends that are made to be compatible, so I ordered a matching Battle Axe for the rear.  Fortunately Bike Bandit has them on sale.  I was real close to being "up the creek" as we say here.  A lesson for anyone starting a build.  Use tire sizes that can be found in the higher speed ratings.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1171 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:31 AM »
That must be the best advice on the forum. If you don't have the correct rating for the tire size, you're just building yourself into a corner. One question though, the rating is obviously based on paved surfaces. Don't tires see less heat build up on the salt/Alkaline surfaces?. Surely a tire rated for a road surface would handle higher speeds on the above mentioned. Thanks Bo.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1172 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
Mike, the tires on this bike do run cooler on the salt than they are during street touring carrying a load.

Years ago I read a technical article about tire flexure and footprint at speed.  It was a difficult article and one thing I remember is that high speed tires have less drag at speed.  To me, this is a change to conform to regulations and to enhance performance.

Check this out.  www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22353796   It is about old cars in Tadjikistan.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1173 on: April 30, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
There is a performance part company that makes a setup for cc'ing a cylinder head.  It has the burette, etc.  Does anyone know who it is?  I think it is someone who makes cams, but I am not sure.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #1174 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
Comp Cams makes it.  http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp-Cams/COMP-Cams-Cylinder-Head-CC-Kits/2383970/10002/-1  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1175 on: May 02, 2013, 12:20:51 AM »
Thanks, Tony.  That is what I need.  Steve at our local speed shop ordered one from Comp Cams.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1176 on: May 05, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
The tail is done and the stickers are on.  It is configured for FIM and it will be legal in DLRA.

My typical approach is to coat the aluminum parts with ACF-50 anti-corrosion treatment and rivet them together.  Some of the lower tail near the wheel was taken apart and redone last week.  There was salt trapped between a few of the metal parts and there was no corrosion.  The stickers will not adhere to the sides if they are treated with ACF-50.  I do not use it on the sides.  Some salt got behind the stickers and the aluminum corroded and pitted there.  In a few places it corroded all the way through.  The ACF-50 saved me a lot of aluminum replacement.

The windshield is drilled and put on.  Everything is coming together.     

Offline salt27

« Reply #1177 on: May 05, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
Bo,
 I see a problem with the tail section.

That wimpy little Landracing.com sticker will not do.

Contact Slim for remedy.

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1178 on: May 06, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »
WobblyW;

Ahhh, rivets! A kindred spirit!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ (I'm finally back home!)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1179 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »
All I see is P51D when I look at those pics. Bo, that's art. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1180 on: May 07, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »
Mike and Neil, thanks for the compliments.

The word from Kibblewhite is the cams are a bit loose in their journals and I need to consider this when I measure the clearances for the shim adjustments.  Originally I was going to swap cams between the street and race motor.  Now it seems there are not a lot of miles left in the original head.  It has new valves, guides, bigger inlet valves, racing springs, a port job, and the shim over bucket kit.  It should give me many years of racing if I do not use it in the street.

A fellow in the Triumph club sold me this low mileage cylinder head for $300.  I ordered a set of original 790cc cams from Triumph.  They came over from England.  This will be my street head.  Eventually I will get it ported and have 2mm larger inlet valves installed.  It is plenty good for now.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #1181 on: May 07, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Looking good as usual.

You should put that club friend on the Christmas card list, a head from Triumph is $1447.89 per Bike bandit when I needed one last year.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1182 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
It was a good deal.  I am sure the guy knew what it was worth and he was helping me.

A mistake I made was putting in the racing cams and using the bike on the street.  The higher lift and duration puts a lot of extra stress on everything and this is made worse with heavy duty springs.  Eventually this cylinder head will be ported, have 2mm larger intake valves, and use the standard springs, keepers, and cams.  This setup will provide enough air flow for the 994 cc engine and it will be much longer lasting.  The only useful role for the big cams is in race engines that do not see a lot of miles and the extra power is essential.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #1183 on: May 09, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
With all the time and $$ in that head, I would look high and low for an answer to save it. As they run the cam directly on the aluminum, a possible line bore and 2 piece shell insert might be doable.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1184 on: May 09, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
How about line boring the head and building up the cam bearing surfaces with spray welding?

Pete