Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438003 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1155 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:20 AM »
Mike, I do have jet drills.  Unfortunately my memory is no good and my organization skills are worse.  I get the drilled jets mixed up with the undrilled ones and it drives me nuttier.

Paul, they are a dealer for Edwards Mfg. American made metal working machines.  They do have forming equipment.  I simply e-mail them with what I need and they somehow find it and sell it to me for a reasonable price.  They even have a forklift for sale.  www.lostcreekmachine.com

My daughter, Gretchen, burned out a light bulb in her room.  She installed one of those Sylvania 40 watt halogen bulbs that only use 28 watts of electricity.  She turned on the light and the bulb exploded.  It covered her with hot glass.  Not good.  She is OK.  A bulb exploding like that could cause another explosion if it was in a paint booth or gunpowder factory.       

Offline Freud

« Reply #1156 on: April 16, 2013, 01:56:17 AM »
I'm happy that Gretchen survived the explosion.

Sometimes our technological progress isn't all it is cracked up to be.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline salt27

« Reply #1157 on: April 16, 2013, 02:28:57 AM »
Halogen lamps are heaters that happen to give off a lot of light.

I'm glad she's ok.

Don

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1158 on: April 16, 2013, 02:30:30 AM »
Bo, thank God for small mercies. As long as she's OK, that's all that matters.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1159 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
Thank God that Gretchen was so fortunate :-) :-) :-)

I had a 300-watt tube explode in my garage a few years ago.............about 2 feet above my head :-o :-o :-o

Fortunately it was in cold weather and I had a hat and heavy jacket on.  Heed the warning about not touching the glass with your bare fingers :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1160 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:53 PM »
She handles things well.  The youngest of five with three older brothers.  Today I was thinking of the light bulbs we have in places where they could blow up and cause damage, like the light above the solvent tank where I used to work, or the light on my drill press that is inches from my face.  On the box it says "The inner halogen capsule operates at high temperature and pressure and could unexpectedly shatter creating the risk of personal injury, fire, or property damage."  Some internet searching shows this is not the first time this has happened.  Anyway, this is something to consider before buying these little jewels.  To their credit, they do a good job of lighting the area.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1161 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:09 AM »
Jetting for Bonneville.

Step 1 is to put the bike on the dyno and to run it with different size jets.  These runs show last year's data. I was missing some sizes, like the #137's.  These curves would be close together if I had them all.  The highest horsepower curve is with #135 jets as shown on the first page.  The climatic conditions during that dyno pull are on the second page.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1162 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:53 AM »
Step 2:  Figure out the density altitude when the dyno pull was made.  There is a website with climate data for a lot of race tracks in the country.  The have a link to this site http://airdensityonline.com/free-calcs/

The data for the dyno run is entered.  It is 81 degrees F temp, 30.150 inches mercury uncorrected, and 14% humidity.  The input asks for an altitude.  I do not put this in 'cause I am using an uncorrected barometric pressure.

The printout shows the dyno pull density altitude is 1,260 feet.  This is higher than Beaverton's 189-foot physical elevation.

Step 3;  Figure out the density altitude at B'ville.  This is a no-brainer.  Type in http://airdensityonline.com/results/?trackname=Bonneville Speedway

The density altitude there is 5,480 feet as shown on the printout.  This is also shown on the timing slips or the sign at the ERC fuel trailer.

Step 4:  Do the calcs.  5,480 - 1,260 = 4,220 feet difference.  Using the rule of thumb given to me by SUDCO, I would go down two main jet sizes from 135 to 130.  I always play it safe and only go down one size at first.  I will use 132's.  The other rule of thumb is to go down one size on the pilots for every 4,000 feet elevation.  I will do this.

This is the wobbly approximate method for setting the jetting.         

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1163 on: April 21, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
Bo,
Although it is a little tough to distinguish the colors, I find it interesting that your best dyno runs show A/F ratios around 14/1 to 15/1.  So did mine when done at 5200 elevation (Longmont, CO).  But when I ran at Bonneville, I jetted down only one size from Loring, from 155 to 152.5 from memory, because it just blubbered away with the 155 jet.  I did the last dyno run after Bonneville, 2012, and after I rebuilt the motor with new big end bearings but no other changes other than a shorter exhaust.  Why do we get our best readings at 14/1?  If I had jetted up to richen the fuel mixture, I don't think it would have run as well, but I didn't try it.  (I assume the dyno sniffer determines A/F from exhaust residue, so it should be measuring fuel and/or oxygen in the exhaust and should be independent of atmospheric pressure.)  Also on your runs, the little blip in the torque curve  at 8300-8400 seems to be consistent on at least 3 of the best runs.  Is this a point at which the exhaust and/or the intake is tuned to?
Tom
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:26:04 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1164 on: April 21, 2013, 11:57:48 PM »
Tom, the Triumph runs lousy when the mixture is set at stoichiometric ratio.  It always runs best at an indicated leaner mix.  There are well over a hundred dyno runs on the old girl over a nine year period with two different dynos.  It always has been this way so I know it is not an anomaly.  I do not know why.  The main jets are chosen for maximum power and the rest of the jetting is set for somewhere between 13 to 1 and 14 to 1.  The rev limiter cuts in at 8,400 rpm.  That might be what you are seeing on the curves.

The Triumph shop, Cascade Moto Classics, bought four of these bike stands to display the new Triumphs.  They have a small show room and folks tripped over the stands. They gave one to me and I use it to hold the bike up.  They are very heavy so I can climb on and off of the bike without it tipping over.  It is nice of them to do this.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1165 on: April 22, 2013, 12:04:27 AM »
Right now I am moving the pegs back a couple of inches.  They were back a couple of inches from standard before this change.  This setting will be used on the street, too.  Rose rides with me a lot and there is no room for her feet if I move them back any more.  The sheet metal needed to be reworked on the tail section to make room for my feet.  This change will make it easier for me to tuck down onto the tank and out of the wind.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1166 on: April 25, 2013, 01:43:21 AM »
It is time for me too start thinking seriously about going to Australia in 2015.  The little graph shows that $1.02 USD equals $1.00 AUD.  Some internet shopping in Australia and going down to the store in Oregon shows how much these items cost, all converted to USD.

A carton of 12 chicken eggs:  $1.69 in Oregon and $3.47 in AUS
A 5-gallon can Sunoco Standard 110 race gas:  $57 in Oregon and $148 in AUS
A 5-liter keg of Heineken:  $21 in Oregon and $38 in AUS
A gallon of gas for the truck:  $3.50 in Oregon and $4.81 in AUS

How can Australians afford to live there?

This is going to be one expensive trip and some decisions are made.  The bike that goes to AUS will be what I build for BUB this year, I will enter in Run-Watcha-Brung at BUB, there will be a garage sale, and working overtime.  Usually I think about how I will pay for something a day before I buy it or afterwards, if I think at all.  Planning ahead is what I need to do.  It is time for me to change my ways.     

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1167 on: April 25, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
It is time for me too start thinking seriously about going to Australia in 2015.  The little graph shows that $1.02 USD equals $1.00 AUD.  Some internet shopping in Australia and going down to the store in Oregon shows how much these items cost, all converted to USD.

A carton of 12 chicken eggs:  $1.69 in Oregon and $3.47 in AUS
A 5-gallon can Sunoco Standard 110 race gas:  $57 in Oregon and $148 in AUS
A 5-liter keg of Heineken:  $21 in Oregon and $38 in AUS
A gallon of gas for the truck:  $3.50 in Oregon and $4.81 in AUS

How can Australians afford to live there?

Bo,
That's easy.  They drink Fosters instead of Heineken, drive smaller cars and bikes, and raise their own chickens!

Those Australian prices are very close to what we pay in Nova Scotia, Canada, although I've never bought a 5 litre can of Heineken.  But...., we have free health care, cleaner air, and fewer gun toting idiots.  My wife and I spend 6 months in Nova Scotia and 6 months in Colorado, so the cost difference is real.  I try to get all my major bike purchases done before I go back to N.S.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »
Bo, the Thruxton model uses a semi rear set that is lower and farther back than the Bonnie version. Not sure if brake pedal will locate (clock)correctly though. My Thruxton sets the pedal angled downward because of the more forward tilted rider position. Recycler could have a easier(cheaper) answer you seek. 
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1169 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:11 AM »
Tom, some of the engineers at work are raising chickens to save money.  There is sort of an egg surplus around here.  A dollar will buy a dozen, no problem.  Only a few eggs are white.  Most are bluish, green, or brown and they taste good.

Cereal, you are right about the rear sets.  There are all sorts of small challenges to make the controls work.  Nothing is too bad and almost everything I need is somewhere around this place...if I can find it.