Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437908 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1095 on: March 03, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
The country or the vehicle NEVER matters Bo, it's the lsr people!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1096 on: March 04, 2013, 01:28:18 AM »
Yesterday the Triumph club had the monthly breakfast and I went to the shop and picked up a poster showing the liner.  It is a concept drawing.   Tomorrow I will shrink it on the copy machine at work and post it.  It is an anglo-american effort based on the British and American flags on it.  The shape is an original design and it looks very slippery.  It looks like a carbon fiber shell throughout with Jason DiSalvo as the driver.

The power plant is a Rocket III 2300cc triple.  An odd choice.  These are not racing engines like Busa's.  They are 2,300cc inline water cooled triples.  Sort of like an English 3 cylinder Perkins tractor engine on steroids.  They must be planning on using a blower.  Those motors cannot rev very high and they would not be competitive in N.A. form.  Carpenter racing has a lot of experience with them.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #1097 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »
Large lump it is , the Carpenter kit makes 240 hp and was good for 174 and change at BUB event. It will be cool to see this motor stuff into something slippery. Great sound as it ripped by.

https://rideatriumph.com/disalvo-conquers-the-salt-flats/
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1098 on: March 04, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
The poster was shrank on the office copier and taped together.  Here it is.  Note the color.  Not really grey, or black.  It is "walrus."

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1099 on: March 05, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
that is is really something.

here's to hoping for some good runs.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline rgn

« Reply #1100 on: March 05, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
The power plant is a Rocket III 2300cc triple.  An odd choice.  These are not racing engines like Busa's.  They are 2,300cc inline water cooled triples.  Sort of like an English 3 cylinder Perkins tractor engine on steroids.  They must be planning on using a blower.  Those motors cannot rev very high and they would not be competitive in N.A. form.

I was looking at the rocket power plant a while ago.  There is evidence they will rev without modification to over 9K without concern.  The motor is capable of much much more than the conservative role assigned to it in the rocket.   :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1101 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »
Some info is on www.hotrodconspiracy.com/rocket.html

I could not find much more than this.  It is a fresh and different approach.  Nothing like the commonly used Hayabusa.

This Saturday at 5:30 PM I will give a short seminar "Performance Tuning for the Street Rider" at Cascade MotoClassics, 13705 SW Farmington Road, Beaverton, Oregon, 97005 (503) 574-3353  It covers the basics and is tailored for the Triumph owner. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1102 on: March 06, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
The poster was shrank on the office copier and taped together.  Here it is.  Note the color.  Not really grey, or black.  It is "walrus."
Hopefully not "Wobbly."
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1103 on: March 10, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »
The change from the original 790cc engine in the bike I bought new to the last version of the 790cc motor was the subject of my class.  It was a very good engine.  The bores looked very fresh after the final tear down except for some salt abrasion, the valve gear was in good shape, too, and it went very fast considering what it was.

The 865cc engine was built from the 790cc one with flat slide carbs and big cams among other changes.  It wore out very fast and it this was most likely caused by a rich mixture at the smaller throttle openings and lower rpms I use on the street.  Reversion was a big problem with that engine.  Also, the engine is flooded to start it when cold with the flat slides.  The standard carbs use an enrichening circuit.

Money is tight around here and need to get a lot of years out of the 994cc engine.  It was modeled this morning in PipeMax like this:  the 994cc engine with the compression lowered from 11.5 to 1 to 10.4 to 1 using a thicker head gasket and the original 790cc cams.  According to PipeMax, the valve sizes, curtain areas, and lifts are adequate for the bigger displacement at 7,400 rpm.

The plan is to use the 790cc cams, the standard CV carbs, the thicker head gasket, and the racing valve springs without the spacer shims on the street.  The race setup will use the flat slide carbs, the thinner head gasket, and the shimmed springs.  It is a bit of work to make the change back and forth every year.  At this stage in life I have more time than money so this is no big deal.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1104 on: March 11, 2013, 01:22:06 AM »
The thicker head gasket is readily available if I make it.  0.062 copper, it will be, and I found a place to order a sheet from.  Sheet copper as sold has some temper.  Is there anyone with a vacuum furnace that anneals copper gaskets?

The old racer has been waiting for parts and for work to be done by others.  Not much can be done on the bike.  One of my life goals is to use up my junk pile before I go.  One idea I had was to turn a set of old leaf springs into a monster cross bow.  Common sense won the day and I decided to make something a bit more useful.  I had a lot of copper fittings and a lamp shade so it was time for some industrial art.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1105 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36:34 AM »
Generally you can anneal the copper head gaskets yourself by warming them up to red hot and then quenching them in water. There's lots of information on the trusty internet if you want to see it done before you try it yourself. Just google "annealing copper head gaskets".

Pete

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #1106 on: March 11, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
The thicker head gasket is readily available if I make it.  0.062 copper, it will be, and I found a place to order a sheet from.  Sheet copper as sold has some temper.  Is there anyone with a vacuum furnace that anneals copper gaskets?

The old racer has been waiting for parts and for work to be done by others.  Not much can be done on the bike.  One of my life goals is to use up my junk pile before I go.  One idea I had was to turn a set of old leaf springs into a monster cross bow.  Common sense won the day and I decided to make something a bit more useful.  I had a lot of copper fittings and a lamp shade so it was time for some industrial art.

I'm planning on using these Wobbly

http://www.coppergaskets.com.au/

Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1107 on: March 12, 2013, 01:24:56 AM »
Pete, the head gaskets will be switched annually from thick to thin.  I have used the torch method and it works for a few times then the gasket seems to age and it is worst with the thinner ones.  As I understand, it is oxidation and it does not happen when the annealing is done in a vacuum or inert gas. 

Those gaskets from AUS look good.  My shocks were custom made by Ikon in Albury and the shipping and customs duty charges were pretty rough.  The gasket can be mailed like a letter and it might be easy to avoid all of that.  I will contact him.

Star Motorcycles, a division of Yamaha, has a new 2014 bike called the Bolt.  It is on their website and u-tube.  These bikes are real basic like the Triumph Bonnevilles and Sportsters and they look like good hot rod material.  They won't be blazing fast.  Instead, they will be a lot of fun and I'll bet we see a few on the salt.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1108 on: March 12, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Wob, does Cometic make gaskets for your engine?  The do all of their MLS gaskets in almost any thickness.  Just received .060 gaskets for the GSXR 750 turbo motor I'm gathering parts to build.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1109 on: March 12, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
Thanks, Stainless.  I asked.  Cometic will make them.  That is what I will do.  There is a very small distance between the hole where the cam chain goes and the side of the cylinder bore with these big pistons.  The gasket is critical.