Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437931 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #1080 on: February 23, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
We can weight if you can...............it will get better with a little age.....and some overtime :-)  My budget is for a single-cylinder motor and I'm still short..............Luckily my crew chips in for travel expenses. 8-) 8-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1081 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
There is a plan hatching to life during all of this.  Everything below the head gasket is built as strong as I can make it using parts Triumph Performance developed for their turbo bike.  It can handle fuel, nitrous, a blower, etc.  The cylinder heads contain all of the goodies on these overhead double knocker motors.  It is easy to swap heads and it can be done with the engine in the frame.

The head I am working on now is a mild NA setup with 11.5 to 1 compression, a port job, 2mm larger intake valves, and the 813 cams.  It is what l will run in AUS.  Next year I will buy a used cyl head in good shape and enlarge the combustion chamber so the compression ratio is 9:1, and it will have standard valves, a Triumph 865cc intake cam, and a Triumph 790cc exhaust cam.  The low compression head will be what I use on the street and with spray for racing.

The big plan is to run fuel or gas, whichever I want.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1082 on: February 25, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »
Trip planning for AUS started a few days ago.  Gretchen, my youngest girl, is working hard to finish high school six months early so we can go in February 2015.  It looks like we will be there for a month.  Victoria is where we will be most of the time.  Gretchen is figuring out what she wants to do.  Racing at Gairdner and visiting the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park are all that I consider essential.  There will be all sorts of questions on this build diary about jetting for AUS race gas, etc.  Gretchen has traveled and seen a lot more of the world than me.  She has been to Ireland, New York, and Hawaii.  A lot further than I have been.  This is a big adventure for the backwoods homeboy.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1083 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:19 AM »
Good to hear that man.

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #1084 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:25 AM »
Trip planning for AUS started a few days ago.  Gretchen, my youngest girl, is working hard to finish high school six months early so we can go in February 2015.  It looks like we will be there for a month.  Victoria is where we will be most of the time.  Gretchen is figuring out what she wants to do.  Racing at Gairdner and visiting the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park are all that I consider essential.  There will be all sorts of questions on this build diary about jetting for AUS race gas, etc.  Gretchen has traveled and seen a lot more of the world than me.  She has been to Ireland, New York, and Hawaii.  A lot further than I have been.  This is a big adventure for the backwoods homeboy.   
What baffled me with Australia was the absolute vast distances there was! Australia is a country where not just kangaroos, but also time is running leaps and bounces. A week will vanish just to take in the wiev. It was neeeverrrr evvvverrrr ending to travel by wheels.  Stunningly beautiful country, mind blowing habitants of all kinds, and well worth it!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1085 on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Vast distances?  That is something to think about.  Right now I am figuring out, roughly, how much this trip will cost.  Here is a question that only folks on this forum will know.  Which Victoria based rental outfits are dumb enough to rent a vehicle to someone going to Gairdner?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1086 on: March 01, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
A submarine?  Look at this! 

Offline Jon

« Reply #1087 on: March 01, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »
roughly, how much this trip will cost.

Gas is expensive in Aus compared to what you pay.

Which Victoria based rental outfits are dumb enough to rent a vehicle to someone going to Gairdner?

All of them, they won't ask so you won't tell them :)
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1088 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:55 AM »
Gas is expensive here too. We just got slapped with an 81 cent increase. That's 13 bucks/L. The conversion rate is 9 to the Dollar.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1089 on: March 02, 2013, 06:04:58 AM »
What baffled me with Australia was the absolute vast distances there was! Australia is a country where not just kangaroos, but also time is running leaps and bounces. A week will vanish just to take in the wiev. It was neeeverrrr evvvverrrr ending to travel by wheels.  Stunningly beautiful country, mind blowing habitants of all kinds, and well worth it!
Ha!, the first thing I thought was at least you'll be familiar with traveling long distances, most Europeans, like our Swedish friend and particularly the Japanese can't get their head around the scale...

"Can I drive to Uluru(Ayres Rock) in a day?"...no, from Melbourne or Sydney it is three long days drive.....

The tow to Gairdner is the best part of fourteen hours of 60mph driving from Melbourne.

You won't have any trouble hiring unless you re trying to get a camper, they get a little toey about where you are and I'd be a little wary about driving a camper out to the lake, they aren'
t that sturdy and God made the lake road to kill vehicles.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1090 on: March 02, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
....God made the lake road to kill vehicles.

We've always said that about I-80 across Wyoming and Utah in August  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1091 on: March 02, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »

The one who made the road to the lake was Old Testament

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1092 on: March 02, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »

The one who made the road to the lake was Old Testament
G

a vengeful God, same ***t who burnt my wiring, bogged us on the way out and pushed my gate over when I was backing the trailer into the drive ......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline salt27

« Reply #1093 on: March 03, 2013, 01:37:48 AM »
a vengeful God, same ***t who burnt my wiring, bogged us on the way out and pushed my gate over when I was backing the trailer into the drive ......

Unlatched the canopy, blew the seal out, smeared copper coat on your arse and pushed you to 215. :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1094 on: March 03, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
It looks like I need to rent something durable with looks and comfort as a lower priority.

The folks racing the Triliner were at BUB last year.  It was their first visit and it seems they have a bad case of Salt Fever.  We were in the Triumph pits and it was my first close up view of a well funded team.  A minor league guy like me has to worry about everything and a big part of the effort is preserving the equipment for next year.  Lots of the work are general tasks related to taking care of stuff and making sure to not blow up the motor or crash.  The funded teams have all sorts of folks to worry about the different details, they can toss stuff after use and they do not need to take care of things, and it isn't that big of a deal if a motor is blown apart in the line of duty.  It is a different world.

The team are nice people and they treated me really well.  It was like we were in two different worlds.  I learned to not pay much attention to what was going on in their side of the pits and just to concentrate on my race.  This was with an American team, at the same race, and racing the same brand of bikes.  After we ran and the Bonnie was buttoned up and loaded, we helped James from England with his James Comet just like we helped Lars the year before.  We got along well and there was a lot more interaction, just like with Lars.  Sometimes I think that the country of our origin is not important at all.