Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437926 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #975 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »
so instead of NEW & IMPROVED or NEW AND WORSE, they said nothing and let the consumer beware :-o
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #976 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
Oil is something I learned a lot about today.  A lot of bikes run cat converters and the Mobil 1 has reduced zinc and phosphorus levels so it will not clog up the cats.  They had to do this along with the other manufacturers.  They have been working on other things like esthers to do the same jobs.  I was also told that zinc's only role was to carry other atoms with it like sulphur that did the work.  There are other ways to carry the sulphur.

It was also pointed out, the pile I ride and think is a race bike is in reality very mildly tuned when compared to just about everything else out there, and any oil that works in a Busa or BMW RR 1000, et al, is more than good enough for me.  Mobil 1 is approved for these bikes.

Basically, the new Mobil 1 is OK and there are all sorts of other oils like Brad Penn that will do the job.  My thinking needed to be adjusted.  I also learned the top grade Silkolene will do what I want and I can get it for a "racer" discount at much less cost than the Mobil 1.  "Cheap uber alles" is my motto so I will start using it.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #977 on: December 06, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
Type "Dogs Driving New Zealand" into u-tube.  Its amazing.  They teach the mutts how to drive and they do a decent job.  There are racing applications for this.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #978 on: December 08, 2012, 02:19:44 AM »
The estimate came back for the cylinder head.  New guides and valves are needed and everything else looks OK.  The head was set up for a 790cc motor with 9.5 to 1 compression or an 865cc engine with 10.5 to 1 compression.  It was ported, the intake manifolds were matched to the carbs and the smog system was removed.  That is all.  This was a Stage I cylinder head and it worked with the OEM 790cc cams or the Triumph Performance #813 cams.  I should have used racing valve springs with the #813 cams.

This is what I ordered for the Stage II head.  It is suitable for the big bore kit with the #813 cams.  2mm larger intake valve seats with 2mm larger intake valves.  These valves are custom made from stainless steel.  New guides throughout with the ends ground to match the roofs of the ported head.  New exhaust valves.  All valves ground so their lengths will put me in the middle of the shim adjustment range.  New racing valve springs with titanium keepers and steel collets, shimmed to proper installed lengths, and a racing valve job.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #979 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
Something I rat holed away 43 years ago.  You might like it.  Page 1 of 4.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #980 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »
Page 2 of 4.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #981 on: December 08, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Page 3 of 4.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #982 on: December 08, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
Page 4 of 4.

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #983 on: December 09, 2012, 03:33:56 AM »
Bo,
I hope you don't mind but I've copied this for personal use

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #984 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
A true racer. Better to be reprimanded after than to seek permission first!  :-D :-D :-D  :cheers:

Pete

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #985 on: December 09, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
Could have been the ultimate American V-Twin in its time.  It could still be built.  Anyone have a spare Indian without a motor and a spare Vincent motor without a frame?
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #986 on: December 09, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
Could have been the ultimate American V-Twin in its time.  It could still be built.  Anyone have a spare Indian without a motor and a spare Vincent motor without a frame?

Tom,
You can buy a new Vincent twin motor ready to run for about £18k GBP or $29k USD
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #987 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
It is possible to buy a new Vincent engine or have one made from newly made spare parts.  These engines also can be bought new:  BSA Gold Star and Matchless G80 from a company in the Netherlands, various JAP (John A. Prestwich) engines from a Cameron in the UK, and Norton Commando twins from England.  Single cylinder engine road racing is popular in the UK and these overhead cam engines are available new:  Norton Manx, Matchless G50, and the AJS7R, I think.

The new Norton company makes, or says they do, or did, complete Manx race bikes.  New gearboxes are also available for most of these and almost all can be shoehorned into a Norton featherbed frame.  New parts are available from all sorts of sources for these chassis.  A person with money and patience can build a new old bike.

This is something I keep track of, rather than all the other stuff I should pay attention to.          

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #988 on: December 11, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »
Bloody Vincents
Every time I leave a space in the workshop my boss fins another Vincent or Velo to stick in it
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #989 on: December 22, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
Last Sunday Rose, Werner, and me grabbed our umbrellas and took the train up to Seattle to see the International Motorcycle Show.  There were three new Hondas on display that attracted a lot of attention.  Two were 500cc parallel twins.  The other was this air cooled four.  Theses are the specs.

CB1100 (optional ABS), 1140cc DOHC air cooled inline four cylinder, 31.3 inch seat height, curb weight 540 lbs w/o ABS and 549 Lbs with it, Candy Red color.