Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438087 times)

Offline thefrenchowl

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #960 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »
Probably some sort of venturi derived trickery...

If the engine was "normal", it probably wouldn't need that!!!

Or worse, could just be the modern way to make guys talk about your bike, cause most modern viewers have no imagination to look through the alloy to picture internal bits for themselves...

So could be similar twisted snobby stuff as fake kickers on HD evos engines...

Patrick

PS, by the way, will be back on the Salt Flats for Speed Week next year  :-D, Hope to see you all there again...
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #961 on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »
The velocity stack being spaced away from the carb throat woukd make it virtually useless. A long time ago I had a set of VS that had a screen in it, they didnt work worth a crap until I took the screens off.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline tauruck

« Reply #962 on: November 24, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
Right on Fred. If one measured each individual strand of wire you'd probably find it was around 60% of the area of the throat.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #963 on: November 24, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Thanks.  I will not use that concept.

A few years ago I opened up the shop manual and looked at the spark plug replacement interval for the truck.  They say change the plugs every 90,000 miles and they use NGK iridium plugs.  Being a cheap bastid, I decided to try the same thing with the race motor.  A pair of NGK iridiums went in when I built the engine and I left them in there until I took the motor apart to build this one.  Three years of racing and a bunch of street miles were on these plugs.  They look great with no tip erosion.  The center electrodes still have their sharp edges and the ground electrodes do, too.  I will do the same with this engine.  That is to put a new pair in and leave them there.

The first PipeMax sheet is for the new 994 cc engine with the original equipment 31 mm diameter Triumph intake valves.  Note that the cam needs to lift them pretty high to prevent choke.  Installing a new cam is an expensive proposition and it costs much less to put in some bigger intake valves.  Valves are available with 32, 33, and 35 mm head diameters.  A pair of 33 mm intake valves will work spiffy as per the second PipeMax sheet.  Kibblewhite makes all sorts of OEM replacement and racing valve train components for these bikes and their "Black Diamond" valves will be used.  www.KPMIVALVETRAIN.COM       

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #964 on: November 24, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
I live about fifteen miles from Kibblewhite shop and took my ironhead sporty top end there in the 90`s. They did a beautiful job on the boring/finish and valve work. My friend commented that it even sounded different after the rebuild.

As I recall there was some time involved so if sending them something, sooner is better than later.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #965 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I knew they made parts but was unaware about the machining services.  This is great.  Bigger seats might be needed for the larger intake valves.  Kibblewhite makes those bigger seats and a person needs to really know what they are doing to put them in correctly.  I asked them if they would do the machine work.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #966 on: November 25, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
This picture shows the oil filter being opened.  The opener is a variation of the household can opener and it splits the metal without sawing.  This one I bought from a fellow racer.  It was his extra.  I have no idea where to buy these, otherwise.  I look at the element under magnification for small particles that give me a hint about engine condition.  Then I wipe the insides of the filter can with a paper towel and look at what turns up there.  Big stuff lays in the oil pan or is caught on the pump intake screen in the sump.  Those are the most important places t look.  Everything is OK.

These Mobil 1 filters have a different filter media than the OEM Triumph ones.  They work much better.  This M1-108 fits the bike.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #967 on: November 26, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
The standard OEM valve springs are in the bike.  They are almost at coil bind with the #813 cam.  They also bow to one side when compressed as shown by the worn spot on the side of the spring.  The lower edges of the valve lifter cups are wearing against the spring.  It is a common practice to use the OEM springs with this cam.  This is not a good idea.  Kibblewhite makes racing springs and I will order some from Triumph Performance.  The racing springs will accommodate cams with much larger lift than the ones I am using.  It is likely they will maintain their shape in use.

Werner turned 18, went down to the bank, and withdrew his inheritance. All $1,300.  Then he bought this S-10 truck from some fellow backwoods folk.  Some rocket scientist at GM figured out how to shoehorn 4.6 liter engines into these little trucks and they are far more powerful than they should be.  This thing is a deathtrap.  The little guy works on it about two hours for every hour he spends driving it.  He made his own gun rack. Yesterday we fixed an intermittent electrical short, put on new plug wires, and did a compression check.  About 9 at night the tools were getting frosty and it was really dark.  All I wanted to do was go in and curl up asleep next to a warm wife.  And I did.  He started to pull the drive line to change the u-joints.  I slept through the explosion.

Exactly what happened is sorta mysterious.  He opens his laptop and looks at u-tube to get instructions.  Then he wedges the u-joint or driveline in the vise and heats it with MAP gas.  There is a big explosion.  The vise is blown apart.  He feels drowsy and wants to lay down on the floor.  He turns off the lights and staggers into bed.  This morning he seemed to be OK.  Rose took him down to Six States Distributing and the old guy there took him into the back and showed hm how to do it right.  All for $20.  The truck is gone so he must have fixed it.  This young man is totally normal.  A good sign.   

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #968 on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »
"TOTALLY NORMAL" :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

It could not have been too bad of an explosion......it does not take much to break a hollow vice :wink: :wink:

Sure glad everyone is OK :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #969 on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
Werner's first lesson in Thermal Expansion 101 was pretty cool. For his next trick is he going to destroy an anvil in a sand pit?  :-P
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #970 on: November 27, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
I learned my first lesson about "air/fuel" ratio and explosion at about the age of 14, when I had been cleaning some parts in a coffee can with gasoline.  After I dumped the gas out of the can, I threw the can onto the trash burner, at which time it rocketed about 20 feet into the air and landed on the hood of my brother's '55 Chevy.  It could have been worse, but my brother wasn't too happy.  I think I volunteered to wash his car every week for a year or so.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #971 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »
None of the other four children were the slightest bit interested in fabrication, mechanics or speed.  I thought I was a failure as a parent.  Like all fathers, I grouse a bit about what he does.  Inside I am not mad.  He is a normal young fellow and just like I was at his age.  I am glad he was not hurt.

The windshields arrived from Gustafsson.  Reasonably priced, I say, remembering all the effort it takes to make one that does not work.  A drill for plastic and some practice pieces were included.   The request was for a windshield made from a plastic that is legal in SCTA and DLRA.  I knew they were legit for AMA and FIM.  There were a lot of them at BUB.  An extra was ordered.  It will be my pattern to send in if I need another one.  Gustaffson gave prompt service and were nice to work with.

The OEM valve springs buckled under the loads imposed by the performance cams.  The intake valves had some carbon on their upper faces and I know why.  The twisting springs put side loads on the valve stems and wore out the guides.  Oil leaked down the stems, burned, and left the carbon residue.  A few of the tappet bores might be worn out, too.  This cylinder head requires more than the normal amount of work and it is very specialized.  A call was made to an expert machinist that knows these engines.  The head will be shipped out tomorrow.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #972 on: November 28, 2012, 12:17:28 AM »
What a great story about youth and the gaining of experience! Glad you took him down to see Don at Six States. He does all my differential work. I can do it, but he is better, faster, more consistent, and I give my or my customers money to a local concern.... :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #973 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
This is a valve adjust shim I put in upside down many races and street miles ago.  The etched size markings are still visible.  This illustrates why it is critical on these Triumphs to use the correct oil.  These are demanding engines.  The oil lubricates the transmission, the engine, and the clutch.  It is also used for cooling and the head has flat tappets.

The essential ingredients are the additives to make all of this work and it is a good idea to verify they are there.  This product data sheet from Mobil illustrates what to look for.  The JASO certification, the statement the additive package is for a bike, and the correct phosphorus and zinc content.

This bike has run on Mobil 1 for its entire life.  The reasons are I can verify the additives, zinc, and phosphorous are there, Triumph recommends it, almost always it is on sale somewhere around here and I can get it for a good price, and I see no oil related problems during the tear downs.  Other oils might be as good or better.  South Bay Triumph uses Torco in their turbo bike with success and some folks I know use Silkolene.         

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #974 on: December 05, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »
That Mobil 1 spec sheet in the last post I downloaded today.  I was putting it in my notebook and I compared it to my old spec sheet from 2010.  The old zinc and phosphorus levels were higher and more like what I want.  Hmmm.  They put a new label on the oil bottle, raised the price a lot, and dropped the quality.  Those varmints.   It is time for Team Go Dog, Go! to find a new official oil.