Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438440 times)

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #945 on: November 17, 2012, 03:00:04 AM »
Perhaps they could do your next rebuild, providing they took the time to remember their error ?
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #946 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »
You do realize that you may have hit on something there. Adding a treadmill with a dozen mice or so would add about 12 mp to your power.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #947 on: November 17, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
The mice will have more fun.  The engine is coming apart and they can switch the tranny gears around.  Its no big deal.  All I have done is bolt the main cases together and put on the cylinders.

The new 994cc pistons are heavy duty ones for fuel and turbo use.  They weigh 14.7 ounces with rings, pin, and clips.  The old 790cc ones weighed 12.5 oz with the rings, pin, and clips.  The Carrillo rods weigh different than the standard rods.  The crank should be rebalanced to prolong main bearing life and make it more comfortable to ride.  Less vibration.

Finding someone to do this was the big problem.  The day before yesterday I got a lead and followed it.  There is a shop in Long Beach, California that balances the cranks for the new Triumphs.  I wanted the lobes to be knife edged, too.  The balancing shop does not recommend this.  They say they need to add weight to the lobes to balance the pistons a they would need to add even more weight to compensate for the metal removed during the knife edging.  They said this could be problematic.

Looking at the crank shows why it will be.  The typical balancing process is to drill the lobes and to replace the crank steel with plugs of heavier metal.  There is not a lot of lobe on these cranks.  Major drilling will weaken them.  I agreed and I will not ask for knife edging.     

Offline tauruck

« Reply #948 on: November 17, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
I'm a bike builder and manufacture rigid frames for Sportster based customs along with all the components that go with it although I'm better known as a composites and aero guy but all I'd like to say is that I really appreciate all the hard graft you've put into your project. You make me proud to be a biker. I wish you all the best. Great stuff.

Offline Freud

« Reply #949 on: November 17, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »
error
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:21:45 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #950 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »
Hi Freud.

Tauruck, tanks for the compliment.  One thing I decided to do was show all sides of the build in the diary.  Most of us are exploring into areas we do not know much about when we do this.  Composites, aero, rigid frames, and Sportsters?  It sounds like a recipe for a new partial streamliner.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #951 on: November 19, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »
The alternator rotor does not need to come off of the crank for engine rebuilding.  It must be removed for crank balancing.  It is on a taper and a simple threaded puller is used to remove it, in theory.  A puller was threaded in and I zapped it with the impact gun.  No progress.  Then I zapped it again and the threads stripped on the puller.  The puller was shortened on the lathe so it had good threads.  Then I threaded it in again and tightened it up with the impact gun.  Then I applied heat to the female part on the taper.  The rotor would not pop loose.  I was successful at melting the electricity generating innards.  Another sacrifice to the speed gods.  Now I drilled a bunch of holes in it and took off the outer part.  Then some slots were made to weaken the part.  I applied more heat, some cussing, more cursing in German, and nothing happened.  This morning it went to the machine shop.  They put it in their ginormous press and popped it off.

The machinist explained what happened.  They probably put a warm rotor on a cooler crankshaft in Hinckley.  The rotor cooled and it contracted down onto the taper.  The fit was very tight and it conducted heat really well.  I applied heat, both the rotor and the shaft got hot at the same time, and they expanded together.  That is why heat would not work and the taper fit was so strong.

My advice is to not do what I did.  First, try the puller.  Take the crankshaft into a machinist to be pressed off if this does not work.  This will preserve the rotor. 

Offline Freud

« Reply #952 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:21 PM »
Wobbles, You have done an excellent post with an enormous amount of research and detail presented.

Many of the principles you have discussed relate to any engine. You are to be complimented for your presentation.

Besides the benefits to your project you too must have gained a ton of knowledge. I know the readers have.

A Turnip Twin: opening the eyes and minds of many enthusiasts.

Good Job.

Will I see you Feb 16th at the Reunion?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #953 on: November 20, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
Try this next time... put a load on the puller, then smack the side of the tapered fit parts with a one pound hammer...
(note... one pound is not the definition of mass... it is the size required to do the job with just one pound)  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #954 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
Good one. Glad we didn't have to be there to suffer with him. Sometimes Murphy does backflips right in front of you. I hate the SOB.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #955 on: November 20, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
I often have to pull the clutch from my Shovelhead's mainshaft, and have a rather substantial puller made from some 3/8 plate and a 7/16 fine threaded central bolt.
I can tighten it as much as possible, give it a few whacks with a dumpy 2lb hammer, which does SFA usually,,but If I walk away,,,POP ! off it comes, works every time !  :-D
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Jon

« Reply #956 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:30 AM »
The only addition to the 1pound - 2pound hammer bit is I generally try to get a dolly hammer on the opposite side to where I lb it so that the shaft is supported more.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #957 on: November 22, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  It seems hammers are part of the expert builder's toolkit.  I was trying to avoid using one on this sophisticated new 21st century Triumph.  I guess Triumphs will always be Triumphs, so I will keep one at arms reach at all times.  Somewhere in this shop there is a big whitworth ball peen.  I will look for it.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #958 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18:10 AM »
This post is not as interesting as Tony's avatars.  Those ladies do not leave much to the imagination.

This is taken from a recent Dennis Kirk catalog.  It is part of a custom Kawasaki KZ1000 made by Wakui Tomohiku at www.BullDoc.jp in Japan.  Note how the bellmouth is held away from the flatslide carb intake with a bracket.  It looks like there is a screen across the carb mouth.

What sort of induction trickery is this?  What is the theory behind it?   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #959 on: November 23, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
Looks like that trumpet is adjustable. Trumpet length moves the power band characteristics. At least that's what I learned/was taught.