Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438170 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #915 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
Previous posts mentioned that I was going to order some Carrillo connecting rods for the Triumph with oil squirters.  I have the money now and I downloaded the order sheet for reverse entry rods.  There are all sorts of performance info and measurements that need to be entered.  There must be fifty blanks.  Fifty opportunities to put in the wrong info and screw everything up, as I see it.  This is getting too mental too fast.

The Carirllo rods I am using are the from the same batch as those in the South Bay Triumph turbo bike.  That scoot has run for years with no rod problems and the rods I have worked well for me.  The rod specs are proprietary and Triumph performance gave me permission to use them.  I simply said to Carrillo "Make me two connecting rods to this spec with oil squirters."  The set costs $757.  That is not bad considering what I am getting.  I am glad I do not race a V-8.

A guy look at things different when he gets older.  I said to myself "How could this whole thing possibly go wrong?"  The rod big end bearing fits are a matter of selecting the right shells from my collection.  No problem.  The little end bushing to pin fit could be an issue.  I taped both of the new pins to a piece of cardboard and sent them in with the money and the order form.  I asked them to verify that the little ends had the correct clearances.  Things are coming together nice.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #916 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:16 AM »
I also went the Carrillo road for my "other" LSR bike, I found the guys at Carrillo extremely helpful, as I wanted a "one off" 'rod, 3mm longer than stock, but with reverse entry bolts, I just sent an original 'rod to them after emailing to discuss my needs, they quickly made my 'rod and shipped it and the original back to OZ for me.
I have been sidetracked since installing it ,,,,,,

Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #917 on: November 02, 2012, 06:04:44 AM »
Previous posts mentioned that I was going to order some Carrillo connecting rods for the Triumph with oil squirters.   Fifty opportunities to put in the wrong info and screw everything up, as I see it.  This is getting too mental too fast.
  I am glad I do not race a V-8. 

or even a miserable V6, I laughed heartily at that...then..

I have been sidetracked since installing it ,,,,,,

Tiny

Mate it's good to see that your part time career as a model for lonely women's calenders is helping the racing budget,hmm contemplative... can we see the rest of the shoot? :-P
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #918 on: November 02, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »
Err,,ummmm, oops, THIS, believe it or not, was 'sposta be a clip !,
I hit the wrong button Max,,,3 times, I guess you could print, cut out, and flick them to make a very short video :-D
Tiny

[/quote]
Mate it's good to see that your part time career as a model for lonely women's calenders is helping the racing budget,hmm contemplative... can we see the rest of the shoot? :-P
[/quote]
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »
Tiny, is that one of those little Honda 250 four cylinder bikes?  They were not sent over here.  How fast are they in standard trim?

There were lots of Gusatffson windshields at BUB and one was on Tom's (Koncretekid) bike.  All looked nice.  Today I sent mine down to Florida for them to use as a pattern.  I asked them to make me one I could see through.

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »
Tiny, is that one of those little Honda 250 four cylinder bikes?  They were not sent over here.  How fast are they in standard trim?
Yup, 1988 CBR250R, in stock trim, with a bullet shaped rider, they'll do 106 to 109, there's an Aussy had one up to 121.xxx, naturally aspirated. :evil:
My aim is to open a can o whoopazz, and do it naked, while being ridden by besser brick shaped me  :?
Tiny
PS, Hope to meet ya down under mate.
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #921 on: November 04, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »
One of those little buggers might be in the shipping crate with the Triumph on its return from AUS.

This morning I drove up to he Triumph club breakfast in Beaverton and took the train into Portland.  There is a big new and used book store there, Powell's Books.  www.powells.com  This book, "Engine Airflow" by Harold Bettes ISBN 978-1-55788-537-1 has a lot of information to help me understand the data on the PipeMax output.  Harold is a member of this forum.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #922 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
It seems I spent the family grocery money for new connecting rods.  Team Go Dog, Go! is having a garage sale.  Werner is handling this and the items will go on E-bay.  They will be posted on the for items for sale part of this website, too.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #923 on: November 04, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
Nobody is buying anything at the garage sale.  Werner is tracking the things on e-bay and he is telling me about "watchers" and all sorts of other things.  I do not have a clue about what he is saying.

You'all need to buy this stuff quick.  The problem is not other people getting them.  It is me.  I might think of some bird brain future project and withdraw them from the market.  Those tires would be nice on a propeller driven ... 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #924 on: November 08, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
The rod order sheet arrived at Carrillo with the money and the gudgeon pins.  They e-mailed me and said the troughs in their "H" beam rods catch the oil flying around in the engine and it is directed to the small ends so they get plenty of oil.  They also said the squirter oil holes in the rod big ends are in stressed areas and they weaken the rods.  They recommended against using squirter rods.

I weighed a new bigger piston.  It weighs a few ounces more than the old one.  I need strong rods.  My worry was that I had a situation where bore wear was a problem and I was not doing anything different with the new motor.  That would be dumb.

I called Carrillo and discussed all sorts of options.  Then I asked them if this bore wear was a big problem with other folks or just me.  They said plenty of these rods have been made and I was the first one with this problem.  The air filtration is good and the oil filtration, too.  I do not rev the bike up to really high rpm.  Maybe the initial clearances during the build were too big?  They were recorded during assembly and I compared the records to the recommended skirt to bore clearances on the Arias piston website.  The clearances were too big.  The motor was worn out when assembled for all purposes.

The old Carrillo rods were pulled off e-bay and they will go in the new motor.  This is good.  My garage sale is a flop and I didn't sell a thing.  The rod money will go back into the grocery fund.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #925 on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
The front of the streamlining is reshaped until I can see nothing left to do.  The hole is just large enough for the wheel to travel all the way up and down and side to side.  Now it is time to put the engine together.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #926 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
The pictures.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #927 on: November 09, 2012, 01:39:42 AM »
I might have been jumping to conclusions about the clearances being excessive when the engine was built.  The skirt to cylinder wall clearance was 0.004 inches on both pistons for a 90 mm bore.  Arias recommends 0.003 for street use.  The honed barrels were 0.001 too big.  That is a small amount of excess width and it could not cause the problems I was seeing.

The pistons were teflon coated when the clearances were measured.  No coating was seen when the motor was taken apart after 3,000 miles.  Did the coating wear off and cause the clearance problem?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #928 on: November 09, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
"Wear" off all the way around?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #929 on: November 09, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
The pistons and barrels are at Triumph Performance and I cannot look at them.  The teflon coating is dark grey and it was gone all of the way around, as I recall.  These are the two pictures I have.