Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438062 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #900 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
Tom
A lot of the guys who run alcohol based fuels need a lot less cooling and so can get away without holes in the fairing
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #901 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
Tom
A lot of the guys who run alcohol based fuels need a lot less cooling and so can get away without holes in the fairing
G
I can back that up Grumm, I had yet another test run yesterday, got the engine nice and warm before riding, then did 2 miles of moderate speed, followed by another 2 miles of WOT/
The temp guage indicated 90 degrees c before the ride, and 50 C after it. (with radiator)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #902 on: October 19, 2012, 01:16:46 AM »
Tiny, are you using alcohol?  In the bike?

Sometimes I almost forget who I am.  I loose things and don't remember to bring what I need.  Yesterday I made something on the lathe.  It was the first time I fired up this one I have.  It was the mid 1970's when I last used one.  Everything I knew came back to memory really quick.  It is strange what things we remember. 

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #903 on: October 19, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
Tiny, are you using alcohol?  In the bike?
Yes Wobbly, methanol + a drop or 2 of R30
With 11.5/1CR , before adding 12lb boost, gas was never a consideration.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #904 on: October 19, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
I can back that up Grumm, I had yet another test run yesterday, got the engine nice and warm before riding, then did 2 miles of moderate speed, followed by another 2 miles of WOT/
The temp guage indicated 90 degrees c before the ride, and 50 C after it. (with radiator)
Tiny
to be able to ride a race bike for two miles at speed somewhere
G

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #905 on: October 19, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
Tiny
to be able to ride a race bike for two miles at speed somewhere
G

One mile up, 1 mile back, 11 miles out, if there's nobody else using the road at the time, that'd make it private, right ?
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #906 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »
Back road LSR.  The advent of the GPS has made the timing apparatus redundant.  There is some of pretty serious racing on secondary roads here.  It involves a long stretch of straight road and spotters at both ends to give the "all clear" signals on their cell phones.  It is totally insane.  A two lane road seems to be about 5 feet wide at 130 mph.  These folks are running way faster than that.  We do not have to worry about kangaroos.  I guess that makes it a bit safer.

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #907 on: October 20, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
  We do not have to worry about kangaroos.  I guess that makes it a bit safer.
The 'Roos are out another 5 miles, with the feral goats , sheep and Emus, along with the undulations , although there IS a 5 mile straight 25 mikes from town the car guys use, not having a front brake puts me off somewhat.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #908 on: October 20, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
I like feral goats. In a nice curry
G

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2012, 12:58:19 AM »
The engine parts are here.  It took a long, long, time.  A lot of this is made to order so I anticipated and planned for a wait.  Therefore, the delay is not a problem.

The 865cc engine with 10.5 to 1 compression was at a disadvantage in the 1000cc class.  This is the 994cc kit from Triumph Performance (TP).  The first picture shows most of what comes in the kit:  Arias 11.5 to 1 forged pistons, Cometec copper head and base gaskets, all sorts of o-rings, gudgeon pins, and pin clips.  The kit comes with stronger engine studs.  TP said I would not need them for my milder street engine.  Also included are heavier duty Barnett clutch plates and crank and rod bearing shells with racing clearances.

The pistons and pins of the old 865cc engine were teflon coated.  I was not very impressed with this.  This time the pistons, rings, pins, cylinder, and crank bearings have "WPC Metal Surface Treatment."

The pistons are made to the compression ratio specified by the customer.  I chose the lowest, 11.5 to 1.  This seemed to be appropriate for a street engine running on pump gas.  The piston is shown in the second picture.  Note the flat crown.  This is a lot different than the tall crowns on the pistons in my old BSA with hemi combustion chambers.  Thin or thick rings are supplied as requested.  The thin rings resist flutter at high rpm.  TP builds Bonnevilles that rev to 10,000 rpm.  My rev limiter kicks in at 8,400 rpm.  TP said the thicker rings are better for this milder use and I ordered them.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2012, 01:17:10 AM »
The original equipment cylinder cannot be bored far enough out to make a 994 cc engine.  The cylinder is the heart of the kit and it is shown in the first photo.  It is milled from 6061 aluminum billet with plated bores.  I asked that it be honed to piston to cylinder wall clearances for street motors.  This means I need to break it in well before 2013 BUB.

The cylinder spigots on the top crankcase half needed to be fly cut out to a larger diameter so the cylinders would fit.  TP did this.  The second picture shows the cyls on the case.

Carrillo rods are recommended with this setup.  The ones I have been using do not have oil squirters to lube the bottoms of the pistons.  I will have a set made with squirters.  This kit cost big $$ and I saved for several years to get it.  It is worth some more expense to make sure it lasts as long as possible.

TP tossed a few essential extra parts in the box and did some things for free.  They know about racing on a budget and are helping me when I really need it.  In return I hope to win some sort of something and give them recognition.   

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
Bo,
That's a fine looking kit.  I posted on the tech site that my last mods cost me $300 per mph.  I hope you do as well.

BSA re-badged their B50-MX as a TR5-MX in 1973.  Do you think if I re-badged my bike as a Triumph, that TP might do me some favors?

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
They do not make anything for the older Triumphs.  It is in TP's interest to keep me racing.  The part is fully developed for the general public if I can't break it, screw it up, or install it wrong.  I need about 30 mph more to be competitive.  Something tells me this 30 mph will cost more to get than the last 30.   

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
Now you have my full attention as I am going thru an 04 Thruxton motor this week. Kibblewhite makes a lightweight valve spring set with shim under bucket kit for these, but don`t see myself spinning it that hard. Plus its $800.00 I won`t have laying about for awhile.

Will you still run counterbalancers? I see the short track guys yanking them and shaving two pounds off flywheel.

When you say this was an expensive kit, I can just imagine as Triumph is very proud of their stock parts. I almost choked at the top end gasket set for $250.00  :cry:

I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #914 on: October 28, 2012, 01:48:54 AM »
This info might help you.  Right now I am using standard springs and keepers with Triumph Performance #813 cams. There is 0.388 inches lift on intake and exhaust.  The standard springs are almost at coil bind at this lift.  I was told this setup would work.  It does.  I check the spring tensions and free lengths during every tear down and any that show the slightest amount of sag are replaced.  I also look at the cotters and keepers under magnification.  The rev limiter is set at 8,400 rpm and there are no indications the valves are floating at red line.  This is the highest lift cam and redline that can be used with standard springs.  Right now I am not planning on using the Kibbewhite springs.  They will be used when I switch to the mongo cams.

Pulling out the balancers will reduce internal power losses.  In the old days I raced BSA's and they did not have counterbalancers.  I lost a lot of races cause things fell off or broke.  I keep mine in the engine for the sake of reliability.  They are not altered.  Two things I did remove were the spring loaded silencer gears on each cam.  Those things are sorta worthless.

The cranks do not have a lot of spinning mass and shaving the flywheels does nothing for a salt flat engine.  There is friction reduction by knife edging the crank.  Heavy metal plugs can be used to keep the balance factor.  An engine like mine with an 8,400 rpm redline does not benefit much from the edging.  Higher rpm engines do.  Contact Triumph Performance or APE crankshafts.

The build is moving slow.  I am working on the house.  Things are happening at a turtle pace.  The lower edges of the fairing are lengthened as far as possible.  One picture shows the left side with the wheel turned left and the fork springs compressed.  The other shows the left side with the wheel turned right and the forks fully extended.  The sides are being extended as far forward as they can be.  They will hit the wheel or fender if I extend them any more.