Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438063 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #855 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »
The sign says "Bonneville Shark Week."  This is at the boat ramp early this morning.

Guess what?  Our hillbilly butts are pitted in a corner of the Triumph factory pits.  No umbrella girls or any bling.  These folks are more low key than any factory I have ever seen.  They just came to race and they are partially clueless and having a hard time just like the rest of us - with no pretense or attitude.

The bike is teched and full of race gas.  Tomorrow the salt should be great.  Tonight I will figger up some sort of organized testing and development plan. 

Moxnix, Maj, and Konkrete Kid are here.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #856 on: August 28, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
Bo, it's good to see you here.  I am amazed at your bike's parts & pieces.  Have a safe and fast time tomorrow.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #857 on: August 30, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Peter, Paul, and Moxnix.  All three runs were on Wednesday.  The streamlining for AUS is on the bike.  Handling was flawless in a variety of wind speeds and directions.  No nervous feelings about running it now.

The distortion in the view through the windshield was not bad when the bike was stationary.  Looking through while bouncing up and down during an actual run was different.  The view through the screen was like some sort of trip on drugs.  Then I thought "if I take drugs everything will compensate and the view will be perfect."  No one had any.  I could not test this theory.  I guess it is not the 1970's any more.

The engine pulled hard up to red line in fourth.  I shifted into fifth and it would not accelerate at all.  I used a 38 tooth back sprocket.  I needed a 39 or the 40 tooth one I used last year and I did not have one.  Speeds are low due to me not being able to tuck down and my gearing error.

Once a year I get to talk to Matt Capri and get advice.  That, and what I learned through experience yesterday, gives me a big help for next year.  This was a good meet from the test and tune viewpoint.       

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #858 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
I absolutely love it.

My OCD makes me want to know the exactly the number of rivets used in the build.....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #859 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
You should see his pop iviting arm
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #860 on: September 03, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Jonny, there's a "whole lotta" rivets in that thing.

Grumm, it was great that you could stay stateside for a few weeks and come to BUB.  I hope you enjoyed it and it was nice to meet you.

There were a lot of Triumphs there.  The Triumph pits where I was had three parts.  One was the factory pit with Jason Di Salvo as their main rider.  Jason said, more or less, that they are established road racers with a lot of success.  That is not a big deal here.  Everyone is equal on the salt.   LSR is something new and they want to try it, learn, and have a good time.  This is not an exact quote.  It is what I remember.  I asked Jason if he had the full Bonneville experience and scared himself really good.  Yes, he said.  They are enthusiasts just us.

Triumph raced a 675 triple.  It looked pretty much like a standard bike with the typical mods a first time racer would do.  This is a very good bike and they are familiar with it from their road racing.  Jason made several down and back passes at just under 170 mph.  The other team bike was a big Rocket triple.  Jason made many down and back passes at just over 170 mph.  Lots of wheel spin limited speeds.  The Triumph team might have some 750 cc and 3000 cc FIM records.

It takes a lot of courage to ride one of those big triples.  They are huge and the riding position is not correct for maintaining control at high speeds.  Jason can do it.  I would be too scared to try. 

Another part of this Triumph pits was the South Bay Triumph/Triumph Performance group.  They are developing performance parts for the big Thunderbird twin.  It is in the photo.  Alan Cathcart, the well known British racer and author, was the rider.  The bike struggled to get over 130 mph.  The engine has EFI and it needs to run on unleaded to preserve the oxygen sensors.  The unleaded race gas that is available on the track works great in the little high revving Bonnevilles and that was their first choice for the bigger and much slower revving T-bird.  It did not work well in the engine the way they had it set up.

The remaining part of the this Triumph group was us at Team Go Dog, Go!  I am not a sponsored rider and I pay for everything like everyone else.  The only deals I get are when they offer them.  This is proper.  Their business is making race parts and they really pay their dues in money and time to do this.  Their work makes my racing possible.  They give me advice on how to use their stuff and this is a big help.               

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #861 on: September 04, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
This is Bill Conway with his Bridgestone 100.  They are entered in the FIM class for 100 cc bikes, they made the down and back runs and passed the record inspection in impound.  Bridgestones are rare and factory racing parts even more scarce.  Bill has some in this engine.   These bikes were very innovative and well built for their time.  My best friend had one and all of us thought well of it.  It was a fast bike, relatively speaking, for a 100.  Bridgestone is a tire company and they never made a lot of money on the bike side of the business.  It was awkward.  They were trying to get tire contracts from manufacturers they competed with for bike sales.  Eventually they quit making the motorcycles.

One of Denis Manning's goals with the BUB trials is to provide an opportunity for us regular folk to participate on the world stage.  He succeeded.  Bill's smile tells it all.   

Offline Freud

« Reply #862 on: September 04, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
She fits the size of the bike better than he does.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #863 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:37 AM »
.  Bridgestones are rare and factory racing parts even more scarce. 

MMMM ? I have a Bridgestone engine hiding in a box in the shed somewhere ? (I think it has a gearbox problem ?)
Looking forward to meeting you during your trip to OZ Wobbly :cheers:
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #864 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
Tiny, it might be the way it was originally made.  There was something strange about Bridgestone shifting.  I think it was you could shift from sixth into fifth or from sixth to neutral and then to first.  This was a long time ago and I do not remember exactly.

This is for those not familiar with BUB.  You line up for the different courses at pre-stage.  An important thing is to get on the pre-stage officer's list.  There are lines for the various courses, such as international long, run-watch-brung, mountain short, etc.  The pre-stage officer releases groups to go to the various staging points.  There are two ways to make the journey.  One is to be trailered down in the traditional fashion.  The other is simply to ride the bike.  The photo shows a group of us going from pre-stage to stage.

Darwin's concept of natural selection makes this riding to the stage area possible.  These are veteran bike racers who know how to follow instructions, mostly.  The idiots are not there.  They long ago quit riding, got killed, or learned to be mature.  It all works smoothly and it is a big help for us logistically impaired folks.  Gretchen took this photo.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #865 on: September 06, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
Logically Impaired :-D :-D :-D

Regarding the Bridgestone brand........Tohatzu sold their MC manufacturing to Bridgestone but kept on making 2-stroke outboard motors.......Bridgestone sold the MC business to Kawasaki and began selling OEM tires to Honda......The Tohatzu engineers transfered through to Kawasaki.......The 1st year of Kawasaki production looks a lot like the last 2-years of Bridgestone......My friend has a LOT of parts for sale, along with a few bikes......and another friend has a Tohatzu Run Pet 50cc racer with a factory expansion chamber produced several years before Suzuki started their own history.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #866 on: September 06, 2012, 11:38:21 PM »
Dennis, the Kawasaki 250cc Samurai and 350cc Avenger twins were rotary valve motors just like some of the later Bridgestones.  That might be the work of those Bridgestone engineers.

My youngest boy, Werner, is at the Marine recruiter's with Rose.  He was the little blond boy that set a 175cc MPS-P record a few years ago.  Childhood is over.  Part of me wishes it would not end so soon.  The other part says it must.  It is an emotional time and more so for me than for him.  He is ready to go.

The picture shows me heading out to staging for the run-watcha-brung course.  That is the only place where I could try out the streamlining to be used in AUS.  It is a short track.  One mile of runup, one mile timed, and a mile to slow down and turn out.  Focus and aggression are the keys.  It is essential to get up to speed quick.  My strategy was pretty basic - easy in first gear, a bit more throttle in second, more throttle in third, redline the engine in fourth, and shift quick into fifth.

The times on my slips are 128.81, 130.82, and 131.18 through the mile.  This is exactly as fast as I was last year.  My speeds between the end of the kilo and the end of the mile are better indicators of how fast I went this year.  I asked BUB if they had the data to figure those out.  That is the info I will use to calculate the aero drag coefficient and other things.

I had big expectations for more speed.  The gods of speed rubbed my little puppy nose in my dung.  Some serious calculating is in order.  I need to figure out what I did wrong.  Then, it will be fixed.           

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #867 on: September 07, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
The official 2012 team photo.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #868 on: September 09, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Lots of us like to explore the around the flats.  We went south on 93A to Hoopah Road, Ibanapah Road, and Gold Hill.  Then we looped back on The Old Lincoln Highway, Ibanapah Road, Hoopah Road, and 93A.  This can be desolate country.  We saw this county road department sign.  Most mining towns have one boom time and that is all.  Gold Hill had three.  One was in the late 1800's for gold and silver.  There was another around the first world war when arsenic was in demand and a later one when Tungsten was needed.

There were thunderstorms all day.  We missed most of them.  We were under one when we drove north near Rocky Point and Utah Peak.  There was a ridge to our left and we were in a little valley.  The truck lit up with a bright flash and there was a very loud ripping sound.  Lightning hit the ridge next to us.  I saw rocks flying into the air from the ridge during the hit.  "F**k" was heard loudly inside the truck.  There is a time and place for that word.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #869 on: September 10, 2012, 01:02:02 AM »
The bike was apart after the post BUB desalting.  I was going to put it together for the street.  The 994cc cylinders and pistons are made so I decided to take it all apart and do the big build.  The big one will be done in stages.  First I will install the big bore kit and use my #813 cams and everything else that I have on the bike now.  This setup I will run stateside in 2013.  Then I will tune the intake and exhaust and run in AUS in 2015.  This is the first stage of the build.  I can expect a 10 percent torque increase throughout the power band.

There is a set of cams that are specially made for the big bore motor.  A lot of machine work will be needed on the cylinder heads, shim under bucket cam followers, special valve springs, and bigger valves.  This is the second stage and it should put me over 150 mph.  I wanted to do everything at once.  The folks at Triumph Performance said I need to sort everything with the milder cams before I go to the wild ones.  It is too radical of a change for me to do in one step, they say.  I am taking their advice.

The top crankcase is off as shown in the photo.  Mobil 1 oil filters and oiled foam air filters were used on this second build.  Standard Triumph oil filters and oiled gauze air filters were used on the first build.  The engine is much cleaner inside than it was when the first build was taken apart.  This is what it looked like when I opened it today.

The upper crankcase is in the box to be shipped away for machine work.  The cylinder spigot holes need to be milled out to a larger diameter to accommodate the big 994cc jugs.