Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437928 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #510 on: August 30, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
Good Job, Wobbles.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #511 on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
It is Wednesday AM in the KOA, on a picnic table, during the magic moment at dawn when it is not too cold, hot, or windy.  We are done.  The engine this year was down two horsepower due to wear and tear since last year.  Last year's runs were fairly decent and the streamlining I had then was not all that bad.  I was not expecting much as far as speed goes.  The main goal this year was to see if the fork mods fixed the handling problems.  It made no sense to continue to race the bike unless it would go in a straight line.  More speed would make things worse.

The course we rode was the short international.  It was choppy and there was a 10 mph side wind from the NNW during the down run.  It was too jiggly to see good when I was down tight on the tank.  I kept as low as I could.  The run was a good one at 131 +.  The bike handled perfect.  No bar twitching and the front wheel did not twist and turn to follow ruts.  This was the first LSR run I enjoyed and was not scared.  The side winds did not cause any problems.

The back run was the first LSR run I did not dread.  I actually wanted to do it.  The wind was 6 mph from the SW and the speed was 130 +.  No handling problems.  I held the bars tight and gave them a little twitch.  This would start a harmonic wobble in the past.  The bike twitched once and righted itself.  Total stability.  I am a happy fellow.  Two runs in the 130's and no big crash.  Life is good.

A trick that Old Scrambler told me yesterday.  He said we tend to tense up and stop breathing when we are going fast.  This is a problem for me.  I linger a bit longer in the mile than most.  Scrambler said he talks to the bike and this makes him breathe correctly.  I did this, yelling "come on Bonnie, you can do it" and other things.  This trick works.

Lars, Team Speed Doo, team Australia, Koncrete Kid, Don Pearsoll, and lots of other folks on this forum are tearing up the salt with record runs or tearing their bikes apart to figure out why they do not work.  Ray the Rat is here.  All will have stories to tell.  We are taking the day off and will explore the mountains nearby. 

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #512 on: August 31, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
Wobbly,
Good job on meeting your goals, plus the novice driver thing brought back memories for my first time driving.  Only my instructor was asleep so I found out that a fairly new 1971 American Motors Javelin could go over 120MPH on an Oregon highway.  8-) Iam sure your 14 year old will be more law abiding, enjoy the desert.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »
Thanks for the compliments Freud and Gearheadeh.  This is a record I should not have.  The slower return run was straight into a headwind.  My job was to keep centered on the course and ride a straight line, hold the throttle open, shift at reasonable times, and tuck down.  That was not enough.  Somehow that little Triumph found some horsepower I did not know it had and we pushed through the wind.  The gods of speed give and take away.  They were generous to me on that Tuesday.  That is the only way I can explain it.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #514 on: September 05, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
It is Tuesday afternoon at BUB.  Our runs are done and it is time to visit Lars.  He is been working on the bike for several days.  Every part of the bike has been taken apart and checked at least one time.  It makes all of the right noises and runs well for a short time.  Then it stops.  I try to assist.  This is an Indian, blown, running on alcohol.  Not something I see every day.  I am no help, and I say to Lars "When you give up on this thing, we can take you with us tomorrow.  We are going to go exploring."  Lars says, "No, I will not give up.  'Flummoxed' is an English word with no Danish equivalent.  It does not happen to Danes."  He was correct.  He got the bike running on Wednesday and set an AMA record.  Amazing. 

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #515 on: September 05, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »
  He got the bike running on Wednesday and set an AMA record. 

that's when lars was pretty chuffed .

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #516 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
Thanks Bo !

It was a pleasure meeting you and Gretchen.

Ha, ha....that picture you took there;
that's me trying reeeealy hard to do the 'Top Gun posture'.

that's when lars was pretty chuffed .

Yep

.-)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #517 on: September 05, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
It is Wednesday at BUB.  We drive to the Bend in the Road and take a left onto dirt instead of turning right on the blacktop.  This is the road up to Leppy Pass.  There are some strange mounds up there that appear to be made by a giant 20-foot tall groundhog.  We climbed up on top of one and there was no big groundhog hole.  Strange.  Mounds of mysterious origin.  Next we drove along the east side of Pilot Mountain.  The photo is from near Patterson Springs with Lemay Island on the left and Crater Island on the right.  There was water on the flats near the shore.  It was trapped there.  See the big expanse of bright white salt offshore.

Is this the second salt flats that old timers talk about?       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #518 on: September 07, 2011, 01:15:49 AM »
This is the beginning of the work to run next year.  It is figuring out what to do.  First, I calculate the engine RPM for each run.  The speeds on the timing slips, the tire circumference, the sprocket sizes, and the slip factor are all input into the little formula on the bottom of the page.  My runs were on the International Course.  It was hard, dry, and very choppy.  My best guess for the slip factor is 95%.

The listed speeds show that I am making slow progress at going faster.  Too slow.  This is frustrating.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #519 on: September 07, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
Well, you can't fix the salt -- but it looks like you've fixed the bike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #520 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
It looks like 7,500 rpm is the goal so a 41-tooth sprocket would gain another 1+mph.  You may be at the point where the overall weight and drag of the bike is a high factor vs available horsepower.  Lighter; lower; narrower; then add motor power/rpms...........You have done a lot with a converted street bike.........it may be time to dedicate the build to the salt and get a second bike for the street. Whatever you do, keep us informed..........you offer a lot of good info!
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline dadsolds

• New folks
« Reply #521 on: September 07, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
Wobbly, don't forget the new power band range with the new cams. that could change your gearing requirements. best to check that on the dyno
Brain says no, right hand says go
1979 UJM 750

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #522 on: September 08, 2011, 01:43:33 AM »
Stan, it is nice to just open the throttle and enjoy it, just like everyone else.  The chassis and suspension part of this street toadster build is done.

Ol Scrambler, this bike is like the Cub.  It is teaching me a lot at safe speeds.  There is more go in it.  Plans are to change the cam this year, install the shim under bucket kit, and rebuild the front fairing.  In 2013 the intake, exhaust, and spark advance curve will be tuned.  In 2014 I will leave the bike alone, run naked at Elmo, and save money to race in Australia.  I will go there in 2015.  That will finish the build.  After that, who knows?

DadSolds, you are right.  I will need to do a dyno run.  Last year I had a 38-tooth rear sprocket cut.  That will be the one I use, hopefully.

This year's rpm's are plotted on the 2011 horsepower and mixture curve.  The sea-level horsepower is 68.5.  My standard correction factor is 0.86 for Bonneville.  68.5 x 0.86 = 59 hp.  My runs are done with 59 hp, as an estimate.

The curves show that the engine was spinning well beyond the torque peak and just over the horsepower peak.  Normally this would indicate the gear ratio was too high, numerically.  This was my lucky day and I was running into headwinds on both runs.  The down was in a 10 mph wind from the NNW.  This was predominately a side wind with some headwind.  The back was directly into a 7 mph headwind.  The slightly high gear ratio I had might have been to my advantage in these conditions.

Offline joea

« Reply #523 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
wobbly...I want you to know I can learn ALOT from others...

from you I admire your "humility" and "demeanor"......

THANK YOU

Joe :)

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #524 on: September 08, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »
Bo,
Horsepower is what gets the job done at Bonneville, for a given bike configuration (i.e. height, fairing, etc.)  I got my bike dyno'd in Longmont, CO. then geared it according to the maximum horsepower RPM.  We bracketed this by changing the rear sprocket one tooth at a time until we could no longer pull the RPM for maximum horsepower.  It worked; we went the fastest when the RPM's matched the maximum horsepower point.

If you install a new cam, keep in mind that the cam that will produce the maximum horsepower is the one you want for Bonneville, but may make your bike harder to live with on the street.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!