Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437929 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #495 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »
Some massive communication breakdown a few years ago resulted in me ordering the street/torque #813 grind cams.  The cams I need are the street/horsepower #540 grind.  Well, the lack of top end power is finally figured out.  The cams will be pulled at the start of the rainy season and they will be sent in for a regrind.

Several methods to protect the bike from corrosion have been tried over the years.  This method is to fill a cup with anti-corrosion oil and brush it on the frame, engine cases, and all other metal parts on the lower 1/3 of the bike.  A disposable paint brush works good for this.  The preservative oil sits on the bike for a few days and it penetrates all of the cracks, crevices, nooks, and crannies.  Last, I wipe off the excess with a paper towel.  The towel is not very efficient at cleaning off the oil and a thin film remains.

This method works very well for me. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #496 on: August 20, 2011, 01:18:08 AM »
The fairing is on.  The two beers on the seat are my incentive.  I cannot drink them until the fairing is completely mounted.  I need to get this bike done and I cannot seem to do anything right.  One hour of normal work is taking me two to complete.  I measure wrong, break taps, etc.  Someone put a voodoo curse on Team Go Dog, Go!  I am sure of it.  Yes.  This is the problem.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »
The picture is taken this afternoon at Portland International Raceway.  It was European Day and the bike was on display at the Cascade Moto Classics tent.  People asked me questions about land speed racing most of the day.  I sat on the grenade box and taped up the front wheel, did some little things, and finished the bike.  Bonnie is ready to go.  I am too.

This is one thrash I could not handle by myself and there are a lot of people to thank.  My wife, Rose, put up with me during all of this.  Cascade Moto Classics helped a lot.  Floyd, a fellow in the Triumph club, saves his spare change in a box all year and he gives it to me for gas money.  The guys in the Triumph club helped me figure out the fork fix.  The people in my crew at work cover for me when I am taking days off and they schedule my work so I can get to B'ville.  My boss gets special thanks for not firing me.

My big goal this year is to not crash and to go over 130 mph.   It looks like I can do it if the salt is in good shape.  This will be a good meet.

Offline Geo

« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
Wobbly,

Best of luck to you!  Thanks for bring me along with you for the years work between meets.

Geo

Offline Freud

« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »
Wobbly........the Salt is good enough that you can not use it as an excuse.

Go For It.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #500 on: August 23, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
It is a pleasure, Geo.  It has been a lot of years and I am glad that you enjoy the build.  Freud, it is good news that the salt is is nice.  A lousy rider like me needs all the help that mother nature can provide.

The windshield is lower this year and I tuck down until my chest bone hits the top of the gas tank.  I cannot get any lower.  The roll of paper towels supports my helmet so the upper edge does not drop down and block my vision.  This is a big help and it is a suggestion from a fellow racer on this forum.  The towel roll is mickey mouse so I went down to one of the local chopper shops and ordered a small p-pad.  It seemed a good idea to buy a new one for obvious reasons.

It is hard for an old guy to make himself small.  I set the kitchen timer for ten minutes, hop on the bike and tuck down, and stay in place until the bell dings.  It is working.  Slowly I am loosening up and it hurts less each time.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #501 on: August 25, 2011, 01:22:17 AM »
Another goofy shop trick.

Lots of bolts on the Triumph are shrouded by the sheet metal and it is difficult to tighten them with a torque wrench.  Their awkward locations make them hard to accurately tighten by hand, too.  This is what I do.  First, I break out the fish scale, an allen wrench that fits the bolt, and an open end/box end wrench that fits the allen wrench.  These wrenches must be strong and of good quality.

Next, I figure out the torque needed on the bolt.  This bolt is Grade 5, 5/16 inch diameter by 18 threads per inch, lubricated.  The torque is 13 pounds-foot according to the chart.  I also measure the wrench length between the center of the box end to the center of the open end.  This distance is 3.5 inches.

Now, I put the allen wrench through the box end, stick the allen wrench in the bolt head, connect the chain to the open end, and attach the fish scale to the chain.

Last, I pull the fish scale to tighten the bolt.  The chain is always at right angles to the open end/box end wrench.

The formula I use is this:  desired torque in pounds-foot x 12 / wrench length in inches = pulling tension on fish scale, or 13 x 12 / 3.5 = 45  I pull the fish scale until it shows 45 pounds tension.

The long and bumpy ride to Bonneville loosens some bolts on the Triumph.  I will use this method in the pits to make sure all are tight before I run.     

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

It is hard for an old guy to make himself small.  I set the kitchen timer for ten minutes, hop on the bike and tuck down, and stay in place until the bell dings.  It is working.  Slowly I am loosening up and it hurts less each time.   

Gee, Wobbly, you are only 58!  Just wait til you're 59 - - that's when the prostate sometimes decides that 9 minutes is all you can stay in that position!  But look at the bright side; water of any kind does have a cooling effect. Oh well, you still have another year!

See you on the salt.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #503 on: August 26, 2011, 12:53:18 AM »
Next year I will need to get down the course quick to the porta potty at the 5-mile for a pee!  This is the incentive I need to buythe cam and lifter kit this winter.  Thanks for the advice.  Now I will not feel guilty when I spend the big $$.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #504 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
On a more serious note, your bike looks great and I look forward to meeting you.  I'm just glad I only have to stay in my riding position for 4 miles. I am leaving for Bonneville in about a 1/2 hour.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #505 on: August 26, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
W Walrus, we station a porta-potty at about the 6 1/2 (for the course watchers), not the five.  You'll have to go farther to get your urinary relief.  There was an outhouse about the 4 1/2 this year - at the long course timing slip stand -- but it was for the folks in the timing slip stand only - not for spectators or racers (although you might have been allowed to use it with their expressed permission.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #506 on: August 26, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »
Slim's Bonneville weather forecast on the home page shows dry weather at the beginning.  This is good.  We will leave tomorrow and be there on Monday afternoon.  Tom, you and Lars need to be control yourselves.  Do not shred the salt with those big singles before we get a few runs in.  Good luck with your bike.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #507 on: August 28, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »
Tonight we are at the Malheur Field Station.  It is an active research facility for folks interested in the high desert.  We rent a trailer for the nights when we are traveling through on our way to B'ville.  Everything is old and ratty.  Broken down.  This does not bother the scientific types.  Their interests are in other more esoteric areas.

This evening we watched the sunset and a thunderstorm over Steens Mountain.  The fellow standing next to me was an etomologist (expert in bugs).  A mosquito landed on his arm.  All of us immediately recognized this insect.  It was the small curex? variety.  A vector for West Nile virus.  The expert watched her crawl around on his skin until she found a spot she liked.  The bug scientist's hand was poised over the insect and it was and ready to squash.  The mosquito became still as she prepared to insert her sucking tube into the underlying flesh.  Suddenly the hand descended.  The insect was doomed.  There was no escape.

I asked the fellow how he knew when to slap the little bugger.  This is what he said.  Mosquitos have a sheath over their needle.  They pull the sheath back before the big plunge.  They are focused on their objective and they are not easily distracted.  This is the perfect time to flatten them.  Biting flies are the same way, according to the expert.  The trick is to wait until they spread their jaws.  At that instant, wham!

This is a good thing about racing.  It gets a person out and about in the world and it promotes a good general education in practical matters.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #508 on: August 28, 2011, 03:34:52 AM »
Boy, if it ain't on here it ain't worth learnin'!!! :roll: :evil: :-D :cheers:

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #509 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
Fourteen year old girl + pick up truck + wide open spaces = driving lessons.  We all started somewhere.