Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437902 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #465 on: July 17, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
Well, it is a diary and we have good days and other kinds of days.

The BUB pre-entry list is posted.  It seems I need the rocket backpack in a serious way.  Lowering the windshield, a new tail section, and a tight tuck will not be enough for this year.

The mechanic gave me the choice of voltage regulator replacements.  One is the Triumph original equipment shunt regulator.  These types get hot during operation.  The other is a mosfet regulator.  See www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com  They run a lot cooler.

Looking at the situation from a thermodynamics viewpoint, the heat dissipated from a hot regulator is wasted energy that could be used for other purposes, like going faster.  Viewing the situation from a common sense standpoint, the OEM regulator did not give stellar performance.  It was an easy choice, the mosfet will be the one.  Mosfet is metal-oxide-semiconductor-field-effect transistor.   

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #466 on: July 17, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
Wobbly.. I could not find the Bub pre-entry, do you have a link?
Thanks
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
The mechanic gave me the choice of voltage regulator replacements.  One is the Triumph original equipment shunt regulator.  These types get hot during operation.  The other is a mosfet regulator.  See www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com  They run a lot cooler.

Looking at the situation from a thermodynamics viewpoint, the heat dissipated from a hot regulator is wasted energy that could be used for other purposes, like going faster.  Viewing the situation from a common sense standpoint, the OEM regulator did not give stellar performance.  It was an easy choice, the mosfet will be the one.  Mosfet is metal-oxide-semiconductor-field-effect transistor.   

Good choice WW
The mosfet ones tend to work a lot better and last longer
I see a lot of regulators where the smoke got out and burnt out AC wires from the stator to the regulator
Usually around any sort of connector or plug.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2011, 01:46:07 AM »
Bob, it is on the 2011 BUB Speed Trials website in the "News" section.  It starts with RWB, then AMA, and finally FIM.

Grumm, it did that.  The harness was toasted with most damage near the connectors, like you say.  The mechanic told me to always check and clean the connectors.  The harness is not cheap, somewhere over US $600.  My mind went numb and I do not remember the exact price.  This winter I will carefully take apart and rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare.

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
Thanks Wobbly
I found it, poor sight disadvantaged senior citizen that I am. Gonna be fun, I finally have competition! I volunteer so will not run till things slow down, likely the last day so I will know what to shoot for.
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #470 on: July 18, 2011, 05:07:13 PM »
I usually just build a new sub harness
There is only usually five or six wires

So I just run the three yellow wires straight from the stator to the regulator and leave the old ones in the loom
because they don't go anywhere else. It's pretty rare to have to replace the earth and B+ wire
The only other thing is corrosion. If you see it , cut it out. And don't re use corroded plugs, no matter how clean they look
That is usually where the heat starts in the yellow wires.
My boss likes to either run the stator wires all the way to the reg with no joins or hard solder them together so there are no plugs
G

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #471 on: July 20, 2011, 01:51:24 AM »
Grumm, thanks for the tip.  Corrosion was a problem and the subharness would be my fix if I would have known about it.  The bike is in the shop and they ordered the parts so I am committed to getting it fixed there.

One of my friends is a bus mechanic and he recommends "Weatherhead" connectors.  They use them under buses where they are sprayed with road salt laden water.  The connectors seal out the water and prevent corrosion.  This winter I will make a subharness for the wires between the regulator and alternator.  All joints will be soldered and there will be one weatherhead connector between them.

There is some gravel road between our house and Bonneville.  Rocks are picked up by the tires, they hit the bikes, and they chip the paint.  This weekend I made some rock guards.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2011, 04:33:08 AM »
Grumm, thanks for the tip.  Corrosion was a problem and the subharness would be my fix if I would have known about it.  The bike is in the shop and they ordered the parts so I am committed to getting it fixed there.

One of my friends is a bus mechanic and he recommends "Weatherhead" connectors.  They use them under buses where they are sprayed with road salt laden water.  The connectors seal out the water and prevent corrosion.  This winter I will make a subharness for the wires between the regulator and alternator.  All joints will be soldered and there will be one weatherhead connector between them.

The weather proof connectors are good, however, they don't really handle the sort of wattage that is generated by the alternator
I would love to be able to offer some alternative, but I haven't found one yet
G

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #473 on: July 27, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »
It is vacation time and Gretchen and I are on the road.  Everyone else is in summer school or too busy.  Two people and two running bikes with lots of time and a big country.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #474 on: July 29, 2011, 12:05:55 AM »
Most of us drive by various mountain ranges to get to Bonneville, Elmo, the Black Rock desert, etc.  The mountains do not look impressive from the desert floor and we get the impression that they are one more part of a vast and arid wasteland.  Many ranges such as the Rubies and Humboldt are tall enough to harbor temperate forests and alpine meadows.  Every year after the BUB meet we stay for a day or two in the Humboldts to wind down and relax.

This picture shows an ice field on the top of Bidwell Mountain in the Warner range to the west of the Black Rock Desert.  This was a wet winter and the lakes are full and ice and snow will remain on the mountain tops through the summer.  The elevation is around 8,000 feet.  A visit to any range of these tall mountains is worth adding a few days to a trip.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #475 on: July 29, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
The sharp pointy knob on the ridge in the photo is the summit of Yellow Mountain in the Warners.  It is just under 8,000 feet elevation and there is a trail up the back side.  The Top-O-the-World trail.  Gretchen's modern bike runs perfectly up there.  No misfires due to altitude induced richness and great fuel economy.

The story with my 1986 bike is different.  It is a big project to lean out the carburation with a needle clip move.  The tank, seat, side covers come off and there are all sorts of little circlips on the linkage I can lose.  Hardly ever do I change it.  My solution is to keep the engine at the rpm where the reversion makes it run lean.  At very high altitudes I slowly turn the fuel cock to restrict the fuel flow and this leans out the mixture.

It is quite a ride up to the top of the world.  Up I go with one hand turning the throttle and steering.  My other hand is between my legs slowly twisting my cock.  It is an exciting ascent.  Now I have seen the vision.  Electronic fuel injection is in my future.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #476 on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
"My other hand is between my legs slowly twisting my cock.  It is an exciting ascent."

Bo, PLEASE tell me that this is a mis-print!!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #477 on: July 29, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
It should have said "fuel cock," Slim.  An accidental omission on my part.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #478 on: July 29, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
Uh huh, sure. Thats what all the dirty old men say. :wink: I know, I are one. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #479 on: July 29, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
I expected "petcock" -- but will accept your explanation without further questions. :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com