Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438042 times)

Offline bak189

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
Yes, you can.....on a annual basis Dunlap makes a limited run of 350-16 sidecar racing tires for use in Vintage Racing.........However they only come in the 350 size........A lot of us used a 275-16 on the front in the "old days"............................ but they are not being made......Check with your Dunlap M/C tire dealer.......................................
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
Yes, you can.....on a annual basis Dunlap makes a limited run of 350-16 sidecar racing tires for use in Vintage Racing.........However they only come in the 350 size........A lot of us used a 275-16 on the front in the "old days"............................ but they are not being made......Check with your Dunlap M/C tire dealer.......................................

Also may want to try the "Dunlop" dealers as well..

John

Offline k.h.

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »
Will do.  Regards,
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline bak189

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 10:29:38 PM »
Many years back at Daytona one of the great GP star riders of the time the late Barry Sheen from the UK.
had a rear tire blow while "at full chat" on the banking..........after that mishap he called them........
Dunflop tires...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
It has been six months since my union signed the 2-year contract with the wage and hour cuts.  We are racing this year.  Our sponsors helped out, we are doing less work to the bikes than we planned, and we found some money to buy parts and the entry fees.  The unforseen side effects of the finding money part of this may interest others.  Its the off season, so why not?

A look at the monthly budget showed a lot of money spent on beer, fast food, and gasoline.  We are typical Americans.  My doctor wants me to qiut drinking.  This might be fatal.  Maybe he wants to get rid of me?  The beer got cut down to a six pack a week with a couple of extra cheater bottles.  Eight 12 oz bottles a week, max.  Money saved.

Next is gas (petrol).  One tank a month in the truck, max.  I have not been able to do this with the Bonneville apart, but I am getting close.  We make a monthly trip to the big city to shop.   We drive to the nearest streetcar station, buy a day pass, and use buses, trolleys, and streetcars to go all around Portland to all of the stores.  I will do this on the day of the N.W. Bonneville Reunion.  Its fun.  Sometimes I will do the same in Salem using my bicycle.  Salem is a lot smaller.  I use the internet to order some things to save long trips.  More $ saved.

Food.  The goal is no fast or restaurant victuals, except once a month.  The wife or husband also needs to do this to make it work.  Frozen food and premade stuff at the supermarket will not work.  It is as expensive as eating out.  We use basic raw ingredients on sale.  The doctor always tells me to eat healthy and he sends me to the clinic's diet expert.  She gives me a list of healthy things to cook and eat.  I put them in a drawer when I get home.  A quick rummage through the drawer, below the old cegars, candy bar wrappers, wine corks, and beer bottle openers were fifteen years of healthy food info.  I cannot remember more than a few things, so I memorized "no added salt, use olive oil instead of lard or butter, lots of fruit and veggies, and whole grains such as brown rice and whole wheat."

It takes time to cook this food.  It also took time to drive to, and wait at the burger basket and chicken shack.  Sort of breaks even, time wise.  As for money, it saves big dollars.  Last week I had saved enough to buy a pair of high compression racing pistons with teflon coating.  The thing that might interest members on this forum are the food part.  I still eat like a horse, but I am eating different food.  It is not a diet in this respect.  Diets are not successful for me in the long term for some reason, and this is.  I eat three meals a day and get full.  My tastes have changed so I actually prefer the healthy food and I feel a lot better.  Lots of walrus lard has been sacrificed to the gods of speed.     

Offline bak189

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »
One really big way to save dollars.........don't go to the doctor...........................................................
Money saved.....................................

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
The www.landracing.com stickers arrived by post a few days ago.  Thanks Slim.  They are definitely bumper stickers for a car or truck.  They are very big.  And so rectangular.  Egad.  What would they say in Paree'?  Its time for some style.

First, a sticker is cut and rearranged on a piece of white card stock.  This is the master.

Next, the paper is selected.  I use the el-cheapo sticker paper I bought for the children.  The stickers will last for a season.  Heavy duty decal paper is available on the internet.  It is much more expensive and it lasts a lot longer.

Next, the master is scanned into the computer as a jpg image.  Then the photo printing program is used to print out two images per page.  "Plain white" is selected as the paper type.

Finally the stickers are cut out of the sticker paper.  A little bit of the white paper is left attached to be a border.  Now we have motorcycle size stickers.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
My hearing is going bad, I think.  Last week my wife was talking to me a few times in conversations with the words "lamp" and "fix."  I do not remember much more than that.  This morning I went down to work on the fairing and there was a lampshade on it and a lamp on the workbench.  These must be visual cues that there is something I need to do right away.

The recent post about the landracing stickers addressed only a small part of the things that can be done with computer graphics.  This is another application.  Our local Triumph shop gives us a lot of help but they do not have a sticker or decal to put on the bike.  We scan one of their gift cards.  Then, we enlarge it on the computer screen in "Microsoft Paint."  Werner removes the "Gift Card" writing from the checkerboard area using Paint.  This week he will put a Triumph logo on the checkerboard pattern.  He will write "Triumph" in Microsoft Word and use cut and paste to put it on the checkerboard pattern.

The edited image can be used to make a sticker.  It can also be used on a decal.  Decal paper for computer printers is available and one source is www.decalpaper.com.  The decal can be printed, cut out, applied, and clear coated.  This is a great tool for the restorer.  As an example, a scratched decal on a sidecover or a picture in a book can be scanned, any damage "repaired" in Paint, and it can be reprinted as a new decal.     

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
Wobbly, where have I ever referred to the bumper stickers as anything BUT bumper stickers -- which, by my understanding, are rectangular.  There -- that's said.

Now -- I don't say that they shouldn't be cut up and used more artistically.  Look at a few of these photos and see what Debbie Dross did with ours production bike.

If I had the bike at hand I'd go around and shoot a few more photos -- but you see that we didn't hold to the rectangular-only stricture (that I didn't express, anyway).  If you want fancy shapes -- hey, the guys at Signs Unlimited can make anything you want - as can your local sign shop, no doubt.  Let us see what you come up with, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2010, 12:35:28 AM »
That is a nice looking bike and stickers, Slim.  It is nice to see people running the big Kawasakis.

One of the last sheet metal beating posts showed how to use a finish hammer on a soft backing.  This is a good way to make gentle curves.  Sometimes a more severe curve is needed.  The dolly I use for this, most of the time, is a football dolly.  It has a spike on it that can be held in the hand or in a vice.  A piece of thick leather helps to keep it in place if it is vice mounted.  This dolly was bought at Harbor Freight.

Never strike the hammer directly on the dolly.  Always have some metal between the two.

The bump hammer is used.  This is one of my NAPA auto parts hammers.  The one in the photo has a slightly convex curvature on the round face.  The concave hammer face used with the convex dolly thins the metal without severe dents.  This is especially nice for a piece that will be polished.

A football shaped dent is made when striking sheet metal positioned over some areas of the dolly.  The football dents can be used to make pieces with varying degrees of curvature.  The drawing shows this.  The piece will curve more along one axis than the other.

The hammer is the "dumpy" style.  It has a short and compact head, and it is useful for working in tight places such as inside fenders. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2010, 01:43:54 PM »
The BUB regulations were e-mailed out to the folks on the list yesterday.   Experience has taught me to sit down by the fire in the rocker and to read every sentence and word that pertians to me and my class, and to do this right when I get the regs, not later.

Buried deep in the regs is a new change.  Production (P) engines are not allowed in special construction modified partial streamliners (APS).  My bike has been close to being an APS.  I decided to cross over the line and build it into a 1000cc APS-P for 2010.  An open class, at least until now.  Now I am in RWB class.

This is not good news for me, but I am learning about it now, and not later.  This will save me a lot of fabrication time and some money.  The message I have is, read the regs that apply to you completely, even the sections that you have read before many times.  Read them carefully, and do it as soon as they are sent out. 

Offline Freud

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
Walrus........I am impressed.

It appears to me that you have access to HUME CAD v4.0 r-e.

You used it well in your earlier post.

I wish you had stopped at my place on your way to Humes to get your copy of the program.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
WW, I've gotta ask -- if you know the answer -- what do they mean by "production engines" and them not being allowed in the APS class?  You can't use a bone-stock engine that came with that bike, or you can't use any engine from the manufacturer of the frame, or what?  Do they want only modified engines in the class?  If so -- what stops an entrant from changing it from production by using a modified oil filter or something relatively minor, like that?  It's not "production" any more.

Got a clue to share?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
Got questions.......ask Drew and/or Delvene......................................................

Also Willie and the boys will like this one.................If you do not use a passenger
no sidecar fender is required for the BUB..................

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
Slim, a production engine can run on gasoline, only.  It needs to be the same engine originally installed in the motorcycle.  The displacement cannot be over the class limit.  Original eqiupment cylinders, heads, cases, carburetion or throttle body, kick starter, or electric starter.  My engine, and I am building it now, will be a standard 865 cc Triumph except for high compression Arias pistons, light wristpins, 1 mm larger intake valves, a port job, and a hot street cam.  In 2011 I will build a set of racing pipes with meggas.  Tuned for top end power.  This is something I always wanted to do.  This is my basic transportation, so these mods will be all I do.  The new Bonnies are sweet bikes and I do not want to screw this one up with big mods.   

The next step up in the AMA rules is the AG class engine.  It is unlimited design.  "Construction will be the vast majority of engine parts."  No turbo or superchargers, but fuel injection is allowed.  The record in the APS-AG class is 168.139 mph.  It was set by a Triumph in 1975!  Another Bonneville like mine, but an earlier Meriden built model.  That record is out of my reach.  I will run in the 130's this year if my calcs are correct.  An AG engine would be a bit much for the road.

I am, and will be, solidly in the production class, enginewise.