Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1436000 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3060 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
This old iron gate was bought in 1996.  It is time to install it and I made some posts out of the iron in the scrap pile.  It was good welding practice and the scrap heap is a few inches shorter. The desert race bike needed some welding type repairs to the rear hub, a tune up, and new stainless steel spokes and tires on both ends.  This and a trip to Hawaii kept me busy and away from the build.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3061 on: May 02, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
The cases are bolted together with the transmission and crank in them in the cellar.  The cylinders, rods and pistons are installed there, too.  That is all I can carry up the stairs and into the bike shed.  Otherwise the engine will be too heavy.

The clutch and everything else is installed in the bike shed and the motor is dragged into the center of the bike bench.  The upper frame with new wiring harness is brought in from the boat shed.  It is lowered down over the motor and bolted to it.

The frame and engine are lifted up onto blocks and the lower frame tubes are bolted on.  Then, the entire bike is assembled on the bike bench.

It is sort of an odd ritual.  It is the only way the bike can be built.  It would require King Kong to pick up the engine and place it into the frame like on a normal bike.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3062 on: May 10, 2018, 11:56:05 PM »
This build appears to be dormant.  This is a competitive sport and it is time to "hold my cards close to my vest' as they say.

The FIM physical exam is comprehensive and hard to pass when one gets older... unless some attention is paid to conditioning.  I tried these regimes and diets recommended by my doctor and offered by my health plan and other popular US sources.  All were too strict and unrealistic for a guy like me.  I failed.  Drinking is a no-no and the food tastes like cardboard.  Dying of a heart attack is much better. 

The BBC had an article about weight loss.  Then I did some research on the NHS website and asked some local experts in town.  It is possible to lose weight and improve health without evangelical fanaticism.  A plan was developed and two pints a day at the locals are part of it. Now I have something I can realistically do and it is working.  This is a UK based plan so I need to lose two stones 7 pounds according to their on-line calculator.

Two and a half stones is a 35 lbs weight loss.  I am halfway there and I took the FIM physical exam on Tuesday.  Blood tests are real good.  I passed that part no problem.  The treadmill test is on Monday.  I have been walking 10 to 15 miles a week to get ready for it. 

One unexpected side effect of all of this is a major change in attitude.  In my youth I was known as a "hungry" racer that could win in all sorts of conditions on the crappy equipment I had.  This was nothing special and it was typical for all racers where I was from.  I lost that.  That focused attitude is coming back and it might be just what I need.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3063 on: May 11, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »
Those physical exams!!!!!!.
Got offered job overseas which involved just that but running rifle in hand for a mile and a half.
I said stuff it!. you guys can run, I'll just stand and fight. :-D

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #3064 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:43 PM »
The 2-pint diet has worked for me..........down about 35-lbs and trying for another 5 or so..........might need smaller leathers :lol: :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3065 on: June 04, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
Rosa and I are in this funky hotel on the bank of the Arno in Florence.  It is a steamy hot night.  Rosa was tired so I went out on my own for a few beers and dinner.  The streets are real narrow and paved with stone blocks.  There are some red lights on door entrances.  This is odd.  I found this cafe place that looked sorta OK.  There wuz a hookah pipe with several tentacles on a nearby table.  The menu was in Italian and word "buffet" was it.  I chose that and it was a good decision.  I got what I wanted by looking at it on the buffet and removing it from the various pots and pans.  There was no need for fluency in Italian.

The waitress offered me a "special drink" for 50 Euro.  I am not sure what this is.  A few days ago we were looking at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and there are graphic illustrations about what happens when a fellow makes a bad decision.  So, I did not order the special drink.  I will be in this place for a few days so there is still an opportunity.   

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3066 on: June 04, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »
Lots of great places to eat in Florence, skip the places that are large with waiters in fancy clothes.  The best spots we found were little places with 3 or 4 tables on the sidewalk and about the same inside.  You need to try the local wines... it will be red (rosso) or white (bianca), order a mezzo litro... that's a half liter, should run about 3 euros.... their wine was much more drinkable than their beer.
Always look up... most ceilings are better than the walls  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3067 on: June 04, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »
WW;

I suspect that "special drink" comes with a few "extras".  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3068 on: June 07, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »
The locals do not know, either.  They do not go into that district.  The big plan was to go back there with Rose and see if they continued to make the same offer.  Rose did not like that idea. 

The traffic signs and road markings are strictly for decoration purposes only.  It is easy to get flattened so I drink beer, only.  The wine is good.  Thanks for the advice about the ceilings.

Anyone reading this build diary knows I am a total loss with respect to electrical things.  There is this temple to Volta here in Como.  I went inside and rubbed my hand on the plinth that holds the sculpture of him.  Hopefully this has the potential to rectify my problems with electricity. 

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #3069 on: June 08, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
I see what you did there... "potential" to "rectify"...very nice!
E-Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3070 on: June 10, 2018, 01:46:41 AM »
Yesterday we rode a bus up from venice to Cortina in the Dolomites.  My previous experience with Cortina was rebuilding an engine for one of them.  It was a a 1600cc push rod 4 cylinder in a ford Pinto, as I recall.  Rose and me took this fine opportunity to get sick with colds.  Al least the view from the room is good.

The Italians are doing quite a bit of work on the modern Triumph Bonneville.  Note the supercharger on the magazine cover bike.  Today I will do some I-net research.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3071 on: June 11, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »
For some reason I cannot attach this link from Italy.  It is "www.quadrovehicles.com"  You need to type it in.

We see these things on the road here.  Mostly in northern Italy.  Sorta looks like big confusion to figure out a class to race them in.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3072 on: June 15, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »
We are back from Italy.  It was a trip I did not want to do and it was something Rose always talked about, so, I did it while I was still working and could afford it.  I was wrong.  It was the best vacation I ever had.

The Italians have resisted the "buy everything from China" habit and they have some remaining capability for manufacturing.  They show a strong preference for buying things they make.  Some of the smaller machine tools look good.  One of my projects is to look there, as well as for one made here, for a small vertical mill. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3073 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »
The bike had a tendency to be stable under full throttle and to go into a speed wobble during deceleration.  The reduction in trail when the front end drops causes this, I think.  There are a few ways to prevent trail from droping below the critical value.  One is to limit the suspension travel.  This will reduce the dive and reduction in trail.  Current rough salt conditions mean that suspension travel is a good thing.  This is not an option.

Another solution is to add a few degrees of rake to the front end.  The steering head is a big forging that connects to the upper frame, engine, and lower frame tubes.  The first foto shows this.  It will require a rocket science nuclear physicist to figure out how to rake this thing.  This is not an option.

Another fix is to reduce the triple clamp offset.  This was done a few years ago and it was a big help.  Unfortunately, I did not reduce it enough.  The old clamps are shown along with some new ones I made.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3074 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:28 PM »
The reduction in offset is shown in the first pix.  It is about 14 mm at the clamp.  This is a trail increase of 16 mm on the ground when fork rake is considered.  The clamps are shown on the bike in the second foto.

I was hoping the mice would do this fix while I was gone to Italy.  The little slackers did not do anything.  I had to do it myself.