Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1435827 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2745 on: April 03, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
Our community college has a "Basic Metal Arc (MIG) Welding" class on Saturday mornings.  It starts this week.  Hopefully they accept Wobbly's late enrollment application.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2746 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2747 on: April 04, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »
This is odd.  The steel filings from weld grinding line up in little rows on the floor.  Sort of like ants.  It is the side of the welding bay that faces the north side neighbor.  Years ago I did something rotten, although I do not know what it was, and she installed protection.  It is the guy hanging in the tree near the fence line and it faces our house.  My best guess is that it is intended to keep my mojo on my property and its voodoo powers are strong.

Offline Geo

« Reply #2748 on: April 05, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
Looks like you have a follower of Santa Muerte close by.

I find the best thing for a new welder to do is practice, I ran about 10 feet of practice welds over about three days before I welded anything I wanted to keep. And I made a few items, welder stand, push plate for the truck, etc., then I welded on the race car. I still run a few practice welds before the real weld as I only weld every few months.

Geo

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #2749 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Bo, take a pic of those lines of filings, then sweep them up and sprinkle them on the floor again to see if they fall in the same pattern. They may be following the lines of flux in a magnetic field caused by flow of electricity through the ground, or though rebar in the floor. They may be telling you that you have a grounding issue of some kind.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2750 on: April 05, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
I think you'll find that those are where your cable's been lying while you were welding. The flow of DC current through the cables creates a magnetic field in the area adjacent to them.

I have no explanation for your neighbor. That's weird.

Pete

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2751 on: April 07, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Our community college has a "Basic Metal Arc (MIG) Welding" class on Saturday mornings.  It starts this week.  Hopefully they accept Wobbly's late enrollment application.
WW, be sure to wear your best B'ville t-shirt without a welding jacket! You will burn the graphics onto your chest!  :-o :-o :-o :-o
Don't ask me how I know!  :x :x :x :x
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2752 on: April 09, 2017, 11:33:27 PM »
Yesterday was Saturday morning welding class.  We got some long lecture about safety and neatness in the welding shop.  Then we welded.  The MIG welders there are big.  I was welding away, as happy as I can be, and the wire quit feeding out of the gun.  No matter how hard or long I pulled the trigger, no wire came out.  Close examination of the gun tip showed that a flying drop of molten metal welded the wire to the gun tip.  That was why the wire would not feed.  No problemo, seƱor.  An easy fix.  Lifting the cover over the wire feed mechanism revealed a bird's nest of wire around all of the gears and pulleys.  The feed kept feeding wire.  Since it could not go through the tip it jammed itself into the mechanism.  This was not an easy fix.  It took the rest of the class period to make the welder functional.  It can only get better from now on.   

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2753 on: April 10, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
WW..... great lesson in welding there.... when the machine quits welding, so should you  :-o  Might want to have a little less drive tension on the wire also.... JMO, not necessarily that of the professional welders as well as the staff and management  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2754 on: April 10, 2017, 10:54:30 PM »
We've pretty much all done something similar once. It's when you don't learn from the experience that you should really find something else to occupy your time.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2755 on: April 17, 2017, 02:10:31 AM »
The cellar shop has a ghetto blaster.  FM reception has been very poor during the last few years.  Lots of static.  The LED bulbs near the radio were replaced by these clear halogen bulbs.  Problem solved.  Now FM reception is good.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2756 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
The welding table is done.  Now it is time to buy a bottle of tri-mix for welding stainless pipe.  Cutting the tubing is a real pain in the behind.  Titanium is not exactly easy to work with and it is slightly better than this stuff.  Now I am trying to find an American made miter chop saw.  A kalamazoo KM10 looks good. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2757 on: April 18, 2017, 08:24:40 PM »
The last pieces arrived for the exhaust system.  Everything except the muffler is 16 gage 304 stainless.  The muffler uses thinner stainless.  The muff will be there  when light valve springs will be used to polish in the cams and lifters and for general development work.  It is a Burns 2-stage.  The dang thing is sized for a car so it will not restrict a bike exhaust and it will be nice and quiet.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2758 on: April 22, 2017, 11:02:49 PM »
Shed building, learning how to MIG weld, and life are keeping me plenty busy.  Not much is being posted here although I read and enjoy what everyone else is posting and I like watching their builds.  Also, seeing the jumping tire test in Hokkaido answered questions that kept me awake at night.

The latest progress on the build is a reevaluation of fuel selection.  Lots of different gasolines have been tried over the years and I settled on Sunoco Standard, a 110 octane leaded gas.  The dyno shed ventilation is not the best in the world and there are folks around the race bike that breathe in the exhaust fumes, including me.  So, a change to unleaded is considered.  Also, I want to use a fuel that ERC sells on the salt.  Standard operating procedure is to carry two 5-gallon cans of gas to the salt in the back of the truck.  Not the safest thing to do, for sure.

Two gasolines are recommended by ERC for the Triumph.  One is the leaded 110K and the other is unleaded MUL-C.  The fuel of choice will be the unleaded.  The fuel price itself is reasonable.  The shipping to Oregon costs much more than the gas and it makes it too expensive.  We can get Sunoco here for a reasonable price.  The bike will be tuned on Sunoco SS100 and ERC MUL-C will be used on the salt, based on advice from ERC.  Both fuels are similar enough to allow this.  This works out nicely.  There will be no need to pack fuel on the trip to Utah.

Offline joea

« Reply #2759 on: April 23, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
interesting that ..."shed ventilation"  is a factor in determining the
optimal fuel...for world record pursuits

i suppose we all make choices during these journeys...that are interesting to others..

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:36:06 PM by joea »