Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1435892 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2700 on: February 03, 2017, 06:00:19 AM »
Bo, my thoughts:  Use the biggest wire/smallest gauge number you can afford.  That is -- if the "book" calls for 14 ga -- 12 ain't much more money and is capable of carrying a higher load.  And 10 ga is bigger still, and if you use a bigger wire you'll have less future hassles with losses from too-small wires, less chance of damage from too much current through the (too small) wires, and you'll suffer one way -- the heavier wire is more difficult to work with - harder to bend/flex, terminate.

But you'll be glad in the long run.  Get the heavier wire.  Same size breakers, but heavier wire.  My two cents' worth. . .  YMMV.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #2701 on: February 03, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »
Bo, I do not see a grounding electrode conductor in your panel.

This tells me it is being treated as a subpanel.

Which means that your neutral buss has effectively been turned into a ground buss because of the equipment grounds landed on it.

This is not good because the neutrals carry current and the grounds only carry current in case of a fault.

Unless there is something I am missing in the picture, a ground kit should be installed and the grounds and landed on it.

If you install a ground kit, make sure that the neutral buss is not bonded to the enclosure, this only applies to subpanels.

Hope this helps, Don
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:21:43 PM by salt27 »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2702 on: February 04, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »
Mike, it looks like there are some infrastructure improvements I need to do and it will be a few months before I invite you down to help me.  I need to install a ground to the shed circuit breaker box and make a well lit work area for welding in the new shed, as well as shingle the roof and finish the other door.

Slim, Peter, and Don, thanks for the advice and what you mentioned will be done.

Offline salt27

« Reply #2703 on: February 04, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Bo, A ground kit is nothing more than a terminal block that mounts inside the panel.

The issue I see is that maybe one or two of your grounding conductors may be a bit short.

Don

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2704 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:14 AM »
The MIG needs a wind-free welding room so the shielding gas stays over the weld.  The boat shed will be the welding area.  The other door is finished and hung.  Note the most excellent door handles.  They are from a junk shop in Portland.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2705 on: February 15, 2017, 12:53:35 AM »
Two 5/8 inch copper plated ground rods are sunk 12 feet apart near the shed.  A big thick copper wire runs from them up the shed wall.  It connects to the 'lectrical panel.  Inside the panel the ground kit is installed.  The neutral and ground wires are reconnected to separate busses.  The panel is grounded.  Progress is being made.   

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2706 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
Note the most excellent door handles.  They are from a junk shop in Portland.

Soooo, we call them junk shops now!  :wink: :wink:
Nice door knobs W²! :-D :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #2707 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
You have to press the four little buttons on the front to get them to open :? :? :? :? :-D

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2708 on: February 15, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
Ron;

Someone's been pushing them already-- see how shiny they are?  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2709 on: February 16, 2017, 12:29:01 AM »
Those handles seem great from the male viewpoint.  The females around here have a much different perspective.  My butt got reamed.  The woman's mind is a mystery to me. 

Offline salt27

« Reply #2710 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »
Those handles seem great from the male viewpoint.  The females around here have a much different perspective.  My butt got reamed.  The woman's mind is a mystery to me.  

Bo, if they need to go to keep peace in the family I'll store them for you.

Always trying to help a fellow racer, Don   :roll:
Oh yeah, much better on the electrical panel.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:38:59 AM by salt27 »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2711 on: February 21, 2017, 12:52:42 AM »
There is not enough room in the bike shed for serious welding.  There is some room in the boat shed for a welding area.  Four #8 wires leave the sub panel in the bike shed.  They go out through the wall and up about 18 inches.  Then, they go back through the wall, across the bike shed under the attic, through the wall, across the ceiling in the boat shed, along the wall, and to a future panel box.  Two more ground rods are installed beyond the boat shed and the ground will tie into the boat shed panel box.  It took all weekend to figure this convoluted route and to install the ground bars, conduit, and wires.  Welding up these pipes is a major project and I have not even started yet. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2712 on: February 21, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »
The wires coming out in the boat shed.  The floor under the boat will be poured this summer and the shingles put on the roof. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2713 on: February 21, 2017, 01:28:16 AM »
While you're planning Bo, figure on a proper welding table with good lighting above it. You'll definitely appreciate it once you have it.

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2714 on: February 21, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »
Someone stole my lights when I had only one door on the shed.  Fortunately they were some of those Taiwan LED lights and it was no big loss.

A dedicated 220V 50A breaker and circuit will be wired in for the welder.  The other breaker will be 110V 15A for the lights and 110V 20A for the other outlets.  Is there a situation where using 110V is preferred?  I can wire up a dedicated circuit for the welder in that capacity if it will be useful later on.