(Note: LANDRACING.COM donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Author Topic: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am  (Read 560 times)

Offline TheHardOne

• New folks
E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
Howdy folks... Just staking this little piece of internet as a placeholder for a coming build thread.  My partner and I initially purchased an S-10 (Leatherneck Express build thread a few pages back) to enter into land speed racing.  We reached a point where our fancy new Ultra Shield full-containment seat with Bonneville halo wouldn't sit where we wanted it to without interfering with the existing roll cage.  After a little thought and discussion we came to the conclusion that if we're talking cage work (or whole new cage even), let's look at other platforms to build on.  We weren't so far into the S-10 to be committed to it... Enter the '93 Trans Am roller (clean car with no t-top).  Purchased dirt cheap from a Facebook posting, all there (save for engine and trans... perfect!).  That's mostly where it stands currently.

The plan for the near future is to gut the interior, have a cage installed, get all the other safety goodies, and get the dang thing running and able to go racing (competitive or not)!  We'll worry about turning the heat up later... for now, our engine, trans, and fancy seat need a home.  We're ultimately looking to run in the Modified Gas Coupe or Altered category.  So my first question... Who all do I need to include in an e-mail to open a dialog with tech about our plans and whatnot?  Christmas bonus is roll cage money so I'd like to get some clarification before we go talk to the shop.   :cheers:

Offline TheHardOne

• New folks
Re: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
So to start things off, an e-mail was fired off to Lee Kennedy, Steve Davies, and Mike LeFevers based off of foggy memory from talking to tech at Speed Week 2017 and taking a guess based on looking at the rule book.  Christmas bonus time is around the corner and the car needs a cage... need to get stuff straight so when we finally bring something to the salt, it won't be the cage that fails tech.

Offline TheHardOne

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Spoke with Rob @ Holzman Race Cars here in Wichita, KS Wednesday afternoon about putting a cage in the Trans Am.  He said they've done a few Bonneville cars, the first car they worked on being the blue Mustang Danny Thompson ran back in '08 (I think thats when it was).  My partner and I had a fun, informative chat with him.  They've built a handful of Bonneville cars so he's familiar with the specifics.  Good looking shop out in semi-rural Wichita.  He's booked out until March but my partner and I are thinking that's where we'll ultimately go.  We'll get the engine pulled from the S-10 project soon and try to get it ready to be sold off.  Partner said he spoke with our trans builder.  He should have the 4L80E done here in a couple weeks.  'Tis all for now.  Happy Thanksgiving to you folks stateside... to anybody else reading, cheers!   :cheers:

(I'll try and get some pictures uploaded here soon... We all love pics, right?)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »
Would that be the car that we saw Danny skating across the salt on his head a few years ago?  As I remember, the car survived fairly well...

We know that Danny did.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TheHardOne

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
Would that be the car that we saw Danny skating across the salt on his head a few years ago?  As I remember, the car survived fairly well...

We know that Danny did.

The way I understood it, the one that tried to take flight was a second car they ran in 2010.  The one Holzman took part in ran in 2008 and still survives today, nestled away in a collection I believe.  Not sure if it's still racing.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »
Ah, yes.  I'd forgot about the second car.  Thnaks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com