Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 112535 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #405 on: July 05, 2019, 05:15:54 PM »
The work has started on the new cage.  Mike bent up a new front hoop for the cage and tack welded it in place so that I could evaluate entry and exit for bail out.  With my fire suit on I could not get out of the cockpit without a lot of twisting.  Mike bent up a second hoop which is about 4" lower and 2" narrower than the original front hoop.  It could not be any smaller and still be safe to bail out of.  Mike will fabricate the balance of the cage and tack it together so that I can double check the fit before finish welding it. 

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #406 on: July 05, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
SO, does the front hoop extend beyond your helmet front  in strap in position  by any amount  and 2" clearance max on each side of helmet including SFI padding ,  Newer helmets are wider than earlier ones ..  STEVE

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
SO, does the front hoop extend beyond your helmet front  in strap in position  by any amount  and 2" clearance max on each side of helmet including SFI padding ,  Newer helmets are wider than earlier ones ..  STEVE

Steve,

I have Snell SA2015 helmet.  This cage is replacing the original cage on the car that was much taller and wider than it needed to be.  The original cage was designed to comply with the rules and the new one will also.  The front hoop is about 3-1/2" forward of my helmet, the rules state a minimum of 3".  The cage will be fabricated to insure 2" or less of clearance to the sides of the helmet.  This photo is of the new front hoop tack welded in place to test for ease of entry and exit.  Easy and safe bail out is very important to me.  We wanted to get the front hoop right before any other work was done on the cage.  I always have my SFI-20 fire suit on when testing for bail out as it is very thick.