Author Topic: A Newby Here..have not yet received my rule book an am confused by rules on web!  (Read 13311 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Buzz,

Yes you are correct on your codes :cheers:

The bike combo you have most likely as you know get you the 223+ speeds need to run for a record however you could still come out and see how fast it can go, I am sure it would go faster than your your 1000 without a turbo..or Turbo the 1000 and go after the 207 record.?

Good luck either way, you may want to see what your overall goals are and if it is to set a record you may have to consider getting/building a different race vehicle.

John

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
IMO, if you don't have to use the 1260 motor to build the 1000, bring the 1260 out next month to get some seat time at least. You'll be better prepared when you run the 1000. Provived you have all the requirements for tech met. Just my 2c.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Thanks again...

I think I can build a 1000cc engine without cannibalizing the 1260 turbo. I'll keep the 1260 turbo in reserve and put it in the bike after I get a little experience on the dirt, just to see what she'll do.
I doubt I could get anywhere near the A-BG record with the 1260 turbo but I might be able to get close to the A-G record with a normally asperated 1000cc combination.

I may not make the July event but the September meet is a real possibility.

Thanks again and I do appricate all the help....and information........

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Thanks to all of you on the forum and those I've met at El Mirage (Dale, Tom, Chuck and the rest whose names escape me right now) I'm beginning to make some real progress on the bike.

I was trying to be ready for the September El Mirage meet, and then the October meet.....now it looks like I'll target the last meet of the year, November.

I've had the bike completely mocked up with the forks, wheels, set of cases, chain, fuel tank and battery box and the sparse body work.  All of the necessary frame modifications have been completed and the frame has been blasted and painted.

Most of the miscellaneous parts are setting in the garage just waiting for me to start assembly. If all goes well I hope to have a rolling chassis by next Monday, the 12th.

I plan on using my street bike engine (903cc Kawasaki) for the November testing session so once I get the chassis completed I should be able to get the bike up and running by the end of October.  Seems like it's taking a long time to complete this project but I only get to work on the bike when I'm in town, so I get to work on it about 6 hour per weekend!

I'll try to post some pictures of the frame but they may be to large to post.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Buzz  #1513 1000cc A/G

PS....Unable to post the pictures...files too large..
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:28:04 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Dak, an easy workaround for photos that are too big -- is to post them on a photo site such as Photobucket or Flick and then link to the photo on your post here.  I do it also when the file number on the photo is one that's already been used on a photo on the forum.  It's a free thing on photobucket unless you do whole bunches -- lke happened to me during the Shootout after World of Speed and Bub's and so on.

Give it a try -- let us see what you've building.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Thanks SSS, I'll give photobucket a try this evening.....

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Okay...let's try this photobucket thing....

:?
http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/Dakzila/

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Lookin good! A couple of questions, why so long and why rigid?

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Why long and rigid.....well.... I'm new to this LSR stuff and I happen to have an old dragbike frame laying around. I just got the LSR bug in June of this year and want to run something before the end of the season. I figured that until I have a chance to learn what's going on, and what works and what doesn't, I'd use some of the parts I have in the garage.

In theory I think the long frame, with the rake, should be stable at speed. I do have some concern about the rigid tail but I'll give it a try and see what happens.  I don't plan on running for any records or going flat out until I have a few test runs under my belt.  If the rigid frame gives me problems I'll put shocks on the bike for next year (or find a different bike).

Buzz

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
Makes sense to me. Use what you got, see if it works, change it if it doesn't. I was thinking of traction more than stability.

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Buzz, there has been extensive discussion on this Forum about rake, trail, handling, stability, and all of that stuff.  Use the search function (I forget which topic the discussion were in, but you'll find 'em eventually).  Our nitrous bike is about 6" over stock length and I've been happy with handling at speed -- so there's my two cents' worth  on the subject.  Another two cents - our production bike is stable, too, and is (by definition) stock length.

Have fun -- building and racing something will give you way more experience than just talking about it and trying to extrapolate the experience of others into what you talk about.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Fred,
Yeah, traction may be an issue with the engine and me so far forward. I'm using a very tall rear tire and a heavy rim with a heavy stock rear rotor in an effort to add some additional rotating weight to the rear of the bike.  I'm hoping the taller tire and additional weight of the rear wheel, rotor & large tire will help absorb some of the engine pulses and smooth our the power delivery.

SSS,
I'll search for the topics on rake and trail, thanks.  I realize that all of the faster superbikes seem to running stock rake and trail so that's got to be something to look at.

I did a lot of sand drag racing in the early '80 with a chassis similar to the one I'm building now. The sand drag bike ran a lot of top end and tracked very straight in the soft sand.  Of course three hundred feet is a lot different than a mile and a third.....

I"m just excited about the idea of building a different kind of bike than I'm use to building and seeing if any of my previous experience lends itself to this type of top end speed trials.

Buzz

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
You might think about putting some lead in your pencil er that is in your swingarm.

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Great suggestion Fred....both of them!    :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

Most of us have Microsoft Office.  Put the cursor on your picture and right click.  Under "open with" click "Microsoft Office Picture Manager."  A menu bar will appear.  Click "Picture."  Go to "Compress"  All sorts of options to make the image smaller will appear.

Dak, start a build diary.  This is a good project and your drag racing perspective will make it interesting.  We can give you advice, too.