Author Topic: A Newby Here..have not yet received my rule book an am confused by rules on web!  (Read 13306 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
 :?
I'm am old motorcycle drag racer and have decided to try my the speed trails thing.  I've sent for a rule book but want to make sure my equipment is going to fit into a class before I get to involved.  I've read that there is an "A" class for modified frame motorcycles, and also a "M" class for modified frame motorcycles. Then I read somewhere that the "A" class was only for 3000CC or larger with 2 engines.
I don't think I'll be going to Bonnieville so I trying to find what motorcycle class I would fall into at El Mirage under the SCTA.

I have a frame that has been rake, solid mounted extended swingarm, braced in multiple places, gas tank is mounted to swingarm, less that 1.5 gals in capacity and fiberglass body parts that resemble stock.

I have two engines that I can run.

One engine is a stock 900cc unit that is of the same manufacture as the frame.  The engine is completely stock.  With this engine would I run in the A-P motorcycle class, 1000cc?

I also have a 1200 cc turbo charged engine of the same manufacture as the frame.  Since the manufacture sold this frame with a 1000cc turbo charged engine would I also be able to run this setup in the A-PBG class, 1300cc?

An help would be appreciated..
Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Buzz, Modified for modified production bikes... basically bikes that are based on production, not stretched over 10% in length.  Frame based on production.  can be open or partially streamlined

Special construction... the A bike, factory works bike, non production frame, stretched over 10%, unlimited displacement and can have multiple motors, can use hub center steering or forks. can be open or partially streamlined

If your scooters are not stretched more than 10% or original wb and using a frame based on production, you are a modified.  But it sounds like you are probably A

I thought I saw you were going to EM this weekend, pick up a rule book at the meet.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:38:18 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Thanks Stainless...

I might be able to make the modified class.  The stock frame WB was around 62 inches and I'm stretched about 5 inches so I'm within the 10% rule.

Thanks for the advise re: the rule book....I'll do that.

Thanks again,

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Buzz,

Your bike will not fit the M-class at El Mirage..

Did you make it to El Mo?

J
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:48:27 PM by John Noonan »

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
John,

Yes, I was at El Mirage yesterday.  Had a great time and got to talk to some of bike riders.  I'm was hoping to get my bike ready by the September meet but now looks like I'll have build another engine before I come out.  The engine I was going to use is a 1260 KZ turbo...don't think I can get close to the numbers that the Suzuki's run so I'm going to build a smaller normal aspirated KZ engine.
I'll have to have a set of pistons made so it might take me some time to source the slugs....

Anyway I'd looking forward to making my rookie run as soon as possible.

Buzz

Offline John Noonan

If you need help with pistons send me a PM...and good luck with your build of choice.. :cheers:

John

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
See John for pistons.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: A question on the motorcycle classes
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »
I did pickup a rule book last weekend and think I'm getting close to picking a class for my bike.

I do have a question.

Since I'll be running at El Mirage my bike frame falls into the "A" class ( special construction).
If I were to put my production, stock and unmodified engine into the "A" frame would I not be able to run A - P, if there is such a class?

Thanks,
Buzz

Offline John Noonan

Buzz,

I had it typed out that it would not fit as there is no "A" class and went to mod the post and just looked and saw what I wrote... :roll:

We do have a production class at Elmo..what is the bike you have....

J

Offline willieworld

buzz  go to   http://www.scta-bni.org/    click on el mirage  then click on event procedures  on page 21 and 22 there is a spread sheet that show all of the classes  this is for el mirage there is no modified class there  but there is at bonneville     hope this helps               willie buchta
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:51:10 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

In case you didn't figure out the answer, no, you can't run a production engine in Special Construction "A" class.

P-P describes the frame and engine class. There is also a P-PP and P-PV for production pushrod and production vintage engine.

If you run anything other than a production frame at El Mirage it puts you in the "A" frame class.

There are no limits to engine modifications in gas "G", or fuel "F" engine class. A blower puts you in blown gas "BG" or blown gas "BF".

If you run a pushrod "P" or vintage engine class "V" there are modification restrictions, but then append the G, F, BG, or BF to the engine class.

"A" frame class is un-streamlined, APS is partially streamlined, S is for streamliners - a whole different construction.

And don't forget SC for sidecars and SCS for sidecar streamliners.

In the back of the rule book is a list of numerical codes that give the legal combinations. You have to put the numerical code on the entry form, so if there isn't one, you can't run it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Dean, I don't know why it's not allowed to run a production engine in special construction/A class.  I don't see any such restriction in the rulebook -- but maybe there's something I've missed.  What rule, please?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Good question. There is nothing in the rule book to stop any frame class with any engine class.

I just took it that since there is no numerical computer code for that combination that you would have a tough time filling out the entry blank.

There are 91 frame/engine combinations listed. If any combo not listed is legal, then P-BF with a full race engine should be ok.

S-P????
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jl222

And when filling out the entry codes don't put blown gas for blown fuel as above
   Just making my point about how easy it is to make a mistake :-D

JL222 :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:33:48 AM by jl222 »

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Okay....so now I understand the Appendix A, Vehicle Data Codes a little better.

So at El Mirage...my 1000cc modified frame Kawasaki would be a; 210/404/A-G, right?

I guess I can understand why there would not be a class for a modified frame and stock engine.

The current engine in my frame is 1260 cc turbo and I'd have no chance of being competitive in A-BG.

Guess I'll build a normally asperated 1000cc engine and stick it in the frame for now.

Thanks for all the help...

Buzz