Author Topic: Just a modest G/PS build  (Read 13664 times)

06EvoRS4G/PS

Just a modest G/PS build
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »
After designing and constructing parts for friends cars at Bonneville over the years and talking with Mike Reichen, a couple of good friends Tom Powell, Keith Wilson, Gary Wilson, and I are planning on running at least one of the last two events of this year. The car is a 06 Mitsubishi Evolution RS and is stock with the exception of an air filter, manual boost controller, and a tune. It has run a best of 12.015@112.34 in the 1/4 mile this month and as soon as it hits 11.50 in the next month it will be updated with all the safety equipment for Maxton use only. I'm also a SCTA and Gear Grinders member and after relocating to Indy in 98, I have been waiting for the right time to do this. It's just a modest attempt at having fun and finally get my chance to run the mile. I can't wait, Jim
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:17:34 AM by 06EvoRS4G/PS »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Just a modest G/PS build.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »
Welcome, Jim.  Welcome to the Forum, and to having the most fun you can have while sitting in a car (or on a bike).  We'll probably miss the September meet, but will be at Maxton for October -- and hope to meet you in person then.

Best wishes --
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

06EvoRS4G/PS

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Jon, We should have the engine and safety updates finished by early August and I'll post updates and photos as things move forward. Jim

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:39:06 AM by 06EvoRS4G/PS »

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
This may sound odd, but THANKS for taking care of the safety upgrades.  A lot of people try to run without doing that and get kicked off the track for eternity.  No one likes for this to happen but the rules are there to protect you and hopefully avoid some widows (or widowers).  I look forward to meeting you at the track.  Don't forget to volunteer - either you, a crew member, or that bum you picked up hitch hiking on US 74.  Wives/girlfriends are good, too.

Dan Stokes
Volunteer Coordinator, ECTA
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:48:24 PM by Dan Stokes »
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »
Wives/girlfriends make the "shuffle" way less boring!
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

06EvoRS4G/PS

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
This may sound odd, but THANKS for taking care of the safety upgrades.  A lot of people try to run without doing that and get kicked off the track for eternity.  No one likes for this to happen but the rules are there to protect you and hopefully avoid some widows (or widowers).  I look forward to meeting you at the track.  Don't forget to volunteer - either you, a crew member, or that bum you picked up hitch hiking on US 74.  Wives/girlfriends are good, too.

Dan Stokes
Volunteer Coordinator, ECTA

I heard about the last group of Evo guys that were down there... not cool. When we come, we will come correct and in the standard of the SCTA and Gear Grinder's. Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:42:08 AM by 06EvoRS4G/PS »

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
Hey Jim nice to see you here.  You probably don't remember me but i was at the Ritters on Alisonville a few weeks ago with Damon and Nichole(I still want a helmet but my job search is taking what little income I have at the moment).  Im going out for the WOS even so maybe we can cruse out there together?

Good luck with the build, the old record holder doesn't stand a chance.

06EvoRS4G/PS

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 05:47:38 AM »
Hey Jim nice to see you here.  You probably don't remember me but i was at the Ritters on Alisonville a few weeks ago with Damon and Nichole(I still want a helmet but my job search is taking what little income I have at the moment).  Im going out for the WOS even so maybe we can cruse out there together?

Good luck with the build, the old record holder doesn't stand a chance.

Sure I remember, let me know when you are ready for the helmet it's no problem. FYI, The best time to get one is around US Nationals time, Impact always has a big sale then. Sorry, but we are only doing one event this year either Sept or Oct at Maxton weather permitting. Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I just want to get my chance to drive the mile anything after that is gravy.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:37:01 AM by 06EvoRS4G/PS »

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »
Oh my mistake i thought you were going to Boneville. 

I will let you know one way or another.

Good Luck!

06EvoRS4G/PS

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »
Thanks Grant, have fun at Bville  :-) .

06EvoRS4G/PS

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »

Just got this in today, a Quarter Master 7.25 Dual Disk clutch, flywheel, and HTB. It's going in this Saturday to replace the stock clutch that started to show slippage during the last trip to the drag strip.

I will be working on floor plates next week and should have the main hoop, door, and rear supports done the following week.

I need to source a fire bottle and could use some input as to what offers the most protection, and how many pounds over the required amount most people are running. Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:27:57 AM by 06EvoRS4G/PS »

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »
I have a SPA 11lb electric fire bottle with atleast 10 nozzles/line you can borrow.  It just needs to be refilled by MSI on the alley or SPA witch is a little bit north of Gasoline alley (i have some of the dip tubes).   I was going to get a Lifeline system but i could not pass up the deal i got.

Clutch looks good!

06EvoRS4G/PS

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »
Thanks for the offer Grant, I just got an email about a new Lifeline system that a team in town is unloading cheap :-) . I'll let you know one way or another.

06EvoRS4G/PS

Re: Just a modest G/PS build or el cheapo especial G/PS
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 06:09:48 AM »
It's funny when you start talking about a project like this how many people want to become involved, well a few good friends of mine thought it would be cool to be a part of this. This group now includes Tom Powell owner of a couple of drag race Evo's and long time car and bike guy, Keith Wilson intake manifold guru along with the boys from Wilson Manifolds, and one of my best and oldest friends Gary Wilson who has had his hand and advise in more forms of motorsports and land speed projects than I can count. Now more than ever I'm looking forward to getting down track with this project and having good friends involved makes it that much better. 

Here is a photo of Tom Powell's Wilson Manifolds sponsored Evolution drag car. It has run 9.20's at near 160 MPH and is 8 second capable now.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:43:39 AM by 06EvoRS4G/PS »

Offline jacksoni

Re: Just a modest G/PS build
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
For safety equip you can check with Joe Timney (ECTA pres if you don't know) at: http://www.delawarechassisworks.net/ . He carries several lines and gives a break to the land speed racers. Great guy to deal with.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019