Author Topic: motorcycle smog -----------  (Read 2743 times)

Offline willieworld

motorcycle smog -----------
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
http://www.kcra.com/politics/19628487/detail.html                                        willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: motorcycle smog -----------
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
Bikes have catalytic converters?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:30:04 PM »
some crack head politician in Santa Monica seems to think so..... but hey, let her get her bill through.... it has a provision to fine owners who take their converter off....LOLOLOLOLOL
kent,

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:43:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure most new bikes have cats. My '06 ZX10 did. Not just Cali models, all US models.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »
Bikes have catalytic converters?

And the officers and state flunkies who would enforce this nonsense would know which ones do and which ones don't?  :roll:

I underwent a visual inspection (surprise!) for emissions on my MGB two years ago - '72, pre-cat.  I was worried because I've installed a supercharger, and figured I'd get pinched for removing the smog pump.  It's my best guess that ALL THREE HEADSCRATCHING INSPECTORS mistook the supercharger for the pump.  They weren't admitting their ignorance or admiring my work - they were trying to make heads or tails of a car they didn't have any working knowledge of.

I almost soiled myself.  After attempting to set the front wheels on the rollers for the simulation, and thus discovering that the car was rear wheel drive, the smog jockey rolled good numbers on the dyno, and passed my car with 221.4 HC on a 550.0 limit and 2.76 CO on a 7.0 limit.

Fortunately, due to cutbacks, new Wisconsin emissions tests only check ECU, and only on cars '96 and newer, so hopefully I'll not have to tempt fate again.

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
Our '08 ZX14R Kawasaki bikes have THREE catalytic converters each.  One in the header pipe, one in each of the two exhaust cannisters.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
In 1984 I had to subject my brand new Honda XL600R to an emissions test to get my New Jersey inspection decal.  The great part was if you are familiar with the older kick start big bore bikes, they were not easy to start.  People would ask to take it for a spin, I said sure, if you can start it, you can ride it.  The majority of the want-a-be riders left the bike limping without ever turning a wheel.  The "step aside kid, I have this handled" DMV inspector had the bike on the roller and was trying to kick the bike over with no success and a few kick backs that sent his right knee cap to ear level.  Although it was "against the rules", I was allowed in the testing area to start the bike.  As I pulled away after completing all the tests I watched the inspector limping back to his station.  17 year old kid 1, THE MAN 0
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)