Author Topic: sealing, body at roll cage exits.  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Bruno

sealing, body at roll cage exits.
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
1990 vette,   I currently have 6 nice retangular holes in my body where the cage exits and attaches to the frame.   Does Tech need to see these attach points, I need to seal these off some how.   My current plan is to photograph, and then fiberglass,  or is there a foam that is exceptable?

landracing

Re: sealing, body at roll cage exits.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »
3m fire putty is the stuff you need.  Expanding foam has been discussed and is not suitable as most of it is flammible.

JonAmo

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:04:53 PM »
I'd get rid of the fibreglass body - they're pretty inflamable, them selves!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »
You're right -- I went to high school with a kid that had the first all-steel Corvette in our neighborhood!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bruno

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
Thanks  I will look for the 3 M product,  I think  will need about 2 gals,   Where the holes are located I am less concerned about fire, than I am about smoke.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »
W.W. Grainger has it. Easy to work with stuff. Used in the construction industry to meet fire codes where ducts pass between rooms, also wiring chases.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Why not use sheet metal plates to close the holes. Take a square plate of adequate size and cut a hole the size of the roll bar tubing in the middle. Cut the plate in half through the center of the hole. Bolt the plates in place to seal the holes then use the 3M product to accomplish the final seal.

Pete

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »
Eventhou it was not on a fiberglas body I used aluminum plates with hole for the bar and single straight cut to the hole and screwed them to the flooring in my coupe. Very little sealer was then used. I used a silver RTV, if there is no air passing thru there will be no fire either.

Place the photos in a 3 ring binder along with your log book; it's also a great place to keep reciepts for safety, fire, SCTA and BNI ID cards etc..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro