Author Topic: Friends don't let Friends Drill Forks? Are we Nuts?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline MiltonP

Friends don't let Friends Drill Forks? Are we Nuts?
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »
A few of my friends, including one or two who do track days, are having trouble accepting that I drilled my front forks to safety wire the front axle and nut.  I told them I wasn't the only one down at Maxton who had done this and many were on faster bikes than my Ninja 500 but they think we must be crazy to drill qhat must be a highly stressed part!  I am curious, has anyone seen any issues related to this.  Even if a rider went down for other reasons, did anyone notice if the forks cracked at that point?  Not worried about it in my case but curious.  As in this case, I would check with the gang on the best solution for whatever bike I may run in the future.   :cheers:   

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Friends don't let Friends Drill Forks? Are we Nuts?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »
How many drill bits did it take to drill the forks? They are very hard, you are drilling a very small hole,amd there is a lot of metal there. You will be fine. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:30 PM »
Depends on where you drilled. Got pics?
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
Okay -- here's some comment from one of the inspectors that tells you about drilling for safety wires.  Remember, though -- these are my personal comments, not necessarily what the sanctioning organisation might say.

First of all -- yes, we've considered whether drilling the fork leg might weaken it.  To that end we now often suggest that instead of drilling the fork leg itself -- that you take advantage of the fact that a good many forks have a hole in the bottom of the leg.  Drill the bolts and run the safety wire through the bolt heads and through the hole already in the fork leg.  You'll have secured the bolts without affecting the leg.

If you can do it that way -- you'll pass tech and not make your friends worry for you. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
Actually, my forks were very soft metal compared to the axle and no drill bits were sacrificed in the process.  I drilled out front not very far in from the outer edges but felt ok with it.  Actually, I am wondering now if corrosion in there could be an issue down the road.  I wasn't bright enough to look underneath for an existing hole.  Too embarrassing if I look and see one now!   :roll:

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »
The lower leg (near the axle) is under compression but almost no bending at all (unlike the top of the leg, and the entire exposed tube), and should be quite safe if carefully planned.