Author Topic: Road Trip to Loring 6/3  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

Road Trip to Loring 6/3
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »
BJ and I trekked up to Loring for some meetings and preparations for LTA/09 , got back this afternoon. We had a very successful meeting with the Loring Developement Authority that oversees the site Wednesday morning. We still have a few issues to iron out, should be done shortly. Briefly, spectators will be allowed on a limited basis on an elevated earthen embankment trackside about 2500ft from the 1 1/2 mile line which  affords a visual of most of the entire distance.  As it's hard to grasp how large the paved areas are, you'll have to take our word for it that our chosen pit/spectator areas that will be adjacent to the staging area, directly west of the concrete first section of racing surface will be plenty large enough and also provide prime viewing of that start line. Our Traction tests provided us with a very pleasant surprise as the asphalt surface traction is very similar to the concrete surface. Believe me , I know. I volunteered my Subaru for the stand-on-the brakes-at-40mph tests, and it grabbed real good. Basically, a high tech accelerometer, GPS, and a lap top are all used in conjunction to measure G-Forces providing comparatives to determine the info desired.
We also laser measured and marked our 1 1/2 mile distance accurate to within inches.
These services were provided by the Maine State Police, specifically Trooper Darren Foster, who drove all the way up from Augusta. THANK YOU !!! The Man IS The Man.
We've settled on a line to the right side ( East) as the smoothest for our runs, which also still has a  nice visible white line leftover by the Air Force from many years ago.
BJ and Mark Sotomayor ( our Tour Guide) also did actually observe Upland Sandpipers on the top end spectating our antics. In other Wildlife news, I videoed a pair of Moose (meese?) in the nearby woods later in the day.
We returned homeward  early this morning, about 5:30 am, I dropped off BJ in Tewksbury Mass, and continued home to here in Suburban NY, arriving about 2:15 pm, just under 9 hours for a little over 600 miles.
I'll elaborate more and answer questions this weekend, sleepy time for geezer guy now.
BOB W ...its all good...

Offline 55chevr

Re: Road Trip to Loring 6/3
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:43:54 PM »
great trip and good news ... Joe

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:20:13 AM »
Thanks for all the good info .
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought I would ask, sorry if it's already been posted elsewhere.
How smooth or flat is the track?
I would like to lower the airdam and skirts but if the track is like Maxton I will leave it as is.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Check out the " Surface conditions at Loring " topic.
As I remember, your car is street legal and therefore equipped with suspension compliant enough for that use.  Hopefully it is also adjustable to your needs for the runway at Loring. My personal experience there is no dips or surface variations at speeds I've encountered up to below 200 mph. I run about two inches of ground clearance ...YMMY...MHO, FWIW, etc.
As I stated on another topic, the Asphalt and concrete traction characteristics are very similar, a very pleasant surprise.
Bob W