Author Topic: converterless-manual shift-automatic 2 speed Powerglide???  (Read 20822 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: converterless-manual shift-automatic 2 speed Powerglide???
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
Some real world experience. E/MS with TH350 no converter............Best run 205 mph

Same car and motor with small clutch and Liberty air shift 5 speed...Best run 205 mph

I think this is why Flowbench says " Without data, your just someone with an opinion "
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
I prefer mechanical to electric or hydraulic because the ancient coal-burning brain cells suss levers better than electrons, and (as said) you might be able to fix it.
Trying to find an air bubble in 30 feet of hydraulic system with 5 components and 17 joints does not yield to profanity, or even self-mutilation (proof on request).
Detecting a bad ground that "always worked before", but has now decided to visit another galaxy is another example of "how to make bloody holes in your palm with your fingernails".

The non-converter PG I've seen has a simple valve that bypasses part of the valve body line pressure that engages low gear. Valve closed: must be pushed, but no loss/no slip. Valve cracked will allow the engine to idle in gear (brake on!!) to check for leaks, linkage, etc. Valve open 25% allows the car to be "walked" slowly by blipping the throttle softly. The valve could be a motorcycle type clutch lever, pedal, or large twist knob - driver's preference and interior space factors.
Since this was developed to allow trailering and pit movement only, I have no faith that it could be used to actually launch the car, but it might reduce driveline stress when used with a push-start.

As to terminal speed for different boxes: it's only a general rule that as speeds go up, and RPM at peak power goes up, that a tight (small % drop) shift into high gear has more value. Cars that are traction limited or have very broad power ranges (diesel, turbo) won't follow this path. No original auto trans that I know of has a useful 2-3 or 3-4 shift (although the 4L80 is pretty good at 75%), but it's not necessarily going to hurt every time. IMHO super-close ratios (less than 10% loss into high gear) are not useful unless the torque curve has a big spike in it, and dead on either side.

Some common ratios: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/aod.htm

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 03:16:53 PM »
Doug --

Here's some data that may be missing from your equation . . .

The TH350 is a 3-speed, the glide is a 2-speed.

(And just maybe 205 was as fast as it would go in direct no matter how many speeds it took to get there.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
Doug --

Here's some data that may be missing from your equation . . .

The TH350 is a 3-speed, the glide is a 2-speed.

(And just maybe 205 was as fast as it would go in direct no matter how many speeds it took to get there.)

Stan

Bob Joenck used hi gear only in his roadster because one of his drivers used to miss shifts :-P

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »
You guys stay out of this -- we're talking about cars where the tires are going the same speed as the ground.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Crosley

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »
With  t he ball valve on the power glide... in years past  usually it is used to blow off pressure from the pump.  You hook the valve into the pump at front of trans.... other end is hooked to the pan so the oil is circulating

As you close the ball valve the pressure builds... the band is applied ( low gear) if the shifter is in low gear. the vehicle will roll away like leting a clutch pedal out if the gearing allows it.
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »
Tony, refresh the collective memory, please: what do you do for a living?   :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Crosley

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
Tony, refresh the collective memory, please: what do you do for a living?   :-D

Mike

I build performance automatic  transmissions for a company in Phx AZ
Tony in AZ...

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »
If it's Hughes, ain't nobody better.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Crosley

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
If it's Hughes, ain't nobody better.

I've been at Hughes for 10 yrs... We work hard at getting stuff correct

i've worked on automatics for a couple of decades.  when the clutch  pressure plate came through the floor and hood of my 68 Chevelle SS 396  , I got interested in automatics.  That was 1974 or so.

:-D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:04:07 AM by Crosley »
Tony in AZ...