Author Topic: converterless-manual shift-automatic 2 speed Powerglide???  (Read 20711 times)

Offline slepe67

converterless-manual shift-automatic 2 speed Powerglide???
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:47 PM »
This is a wierd one, and I figured I'd ask in here, as well as the HAMB. I am building a 32 Roadster to Land Speed Race out on the flats. I plan to run a Windsor block (289, 302, or 351W).

I was at my local hot rod shop, having a cold one, and this older dude, who had been racing vintage stock cars for YEARS, said I should run a converter-less, 2 speed Powerglide, mated to said Windsor.

This is where it gets gray. He said that off of the two holes on the case, I hook up two lines, which go to my clutch reservoir/assembly. I push in the clutch, it disengages the trans, so I can shift gears while at a stop (or from D to R, etc). While driving, I just shift normally as I would any auto trans, no clutch pedal required.

He also said the clutch is a TINY roundy round style clutch, and it wasn't meant for hard shifting, such as you would need for drag racing, but for stock cars, and LSR, he said it would be PERFECT. Apparently guys HAVE used this type for drag racing, but they only last for a pass or two, then they crap out.

I've read a lot of the high power guys run autos without torque converters. I assume these are the guys who need a push off the line ???

This would also help out in the horsepower loss associated with a normal auto trans, correct? I'm shooting for around 350 RWHP, but that may or may not be the case. Depends on how much money my wife will let me have! haha, but seriously....

Anyone know if this would work on a SEMI streetable hot rod/LSR car? I don't plan on driving all over town, just down the highway once in a while.

What do you think? Would you do it? Oh yeah, it's final drive is 1:1, and the rear end gears I have currently are 4.10:1, posi. That is changeable.
1932 FORD 5 WINDOW COUPE, ORIGNAL
302 SBF, 4 Speed Top Loader

MONTANA BORN & RAISED, STATIONED IN FL

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: converterless-manual shift-automatic 2 speed Powerglide???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
I would plan on running a TQ converter normally and just replace it with a pump drive unit and push off---there have been lots discussions on this set up in the past  have you tried the search..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
and get rid of the posi.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
Try www.mikestransmission.com  pg. 3 of the catalog. Looks like you leave out the clutch as well. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline slepe67

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »
I would plan on running a TQ converter normally and just replace it with a pump drive unit and push off---there have been lots discussions on this set up in the past  have you tried the search..

thanks guys.  Having never heard of this before actually, I didn't even know what to type in...what is this setup called?  I had heard of guys not using torque converters, but, not this...

as far as the posi goes...haha, well, I guess I'll see what it does. As they say," if you have posi and it spins, go peg leg.  And vise versa..."   But yeah, I know what you mean.  Thanks  JL

Offline Crosley

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:15:28 AM »
you can run a direct drive hub that replaces the converter. It drives the pump and input shaft of the transmission.

The oil also circulates through it so the trans is lubed correctly.

You need a push off , then pop the trans into low gear.... run the car to what ever RPM you desire and lift on the throttle when you clik  the shifter for high gear.

ATI has a super case and bell housing that will bolt the glide to a Ford engine.

This setup is not streetable.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:19:40 AM by Crosley »
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:19:07 AM »

Anyone know if this would work on a SEMI streetable hot rod/LSR car? I don't plan on driving all over town, just down the highway once in a while.

I have run a John Kilgore turbo 350 automatic without a torque converter in my roadster at El Mirage. It has a reverse shifting pattern. I would just push the car up to about 20 mph and the driver would pull the shift lever into first gear. Then the driver would bring up the rpm until 1st gear matched the speed and drive off the push vehicle. It has performed flawlessly.

This particular unit would not work on the street, without a torque converter. If you really want to drive the car on the street I would suggest going to a manual transmission.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:19 AM »
When i bought my roadster it had a clutch-flite in it. A torque flite with a clutch instead of a converter. And clutch hydros were used years ago. And now some seem to do very well with just a coupler. Guess there is more than one way to skin this cat.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 07:29:41 AM »
Here's what the circle jerkers use.  They take off under there own power with 4.10s and the such.

TCI makes it.  Jegs sells it.  You must use the right valvebody for the 'clutch pedal' type.  You can also use a ball valve.

TCI Circle-Matic
Componets  http://www.tciauto.com/Products/CircleTrack/circle_track_components.asp
Front Pump Drives  http://www.tciauto.com/Products/CircleTrack/circle_track_pump_drives.asp
Built Trannys  http://www.tciauto.com/Products/CircleTrack/circle_track_transmissions.asp

TCI also makes a servo cover for the push start setup
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
I would rethink and consider a 350  you are not going to like your initial accleration or the drop between gears
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
What's the advantage over a 4-speed with a close 3rd and 4th?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline slepe67

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »
yeah, I'm on to what Stan's saying.  I HAD a TH400, but read a lot about power loss via the auto trans...I'm going to go the 4 speed route.  Thanks for all the help, hopefully somebody can use this post in the future!

Offline GH

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
I ran a powerglide the first 2 years on the salt because that's what I had. When I changed to the 4 speed Jerico I could tell a big difference in the way the car ran.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:37:08 PM by GH »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
We're just real old school.

Plus I think it's just one big drag race to the quarter.  If we couldn't go 200 in the quarter, we might as we'll go get back in line.  Careful use of 1st and 2nd gear gets you to about 5000 in third, not 1500.

Don't even have a hydraulic throw-out bearing -- just something else that may go wrong.  If the mechanical linkage breaks, you might be able to fix it.

Mechanical water pump -- don't have to remember to turn it on.

Batteries only for starting -- if they don't work, push it (never have had to).

God, the Stone Age was wonderful!

Stan Back

Offline GH

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
Stan, I agree with you, I tryed the electric water pumps and had problems, tryed hydraulic clutch and had problems, built my own clutch linkage with lots of holes for adjustment, works great as long as I keep it greased good after each salt flat event. Also learned to have a check list that my wife takes care of which frees up me to think about the run instead of all the little details. This sure is a lot of fun, sitting on the return road at the 7 mile mark waiting for the tow vehicle and looking at the mountains and listening and watching the next cars run on the course.